U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 04:21 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,571,893 times

Advertisements

Here's the new version of my map.

Midwest boundaries - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 04:23 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,985,204 times
Quote:
Here's the new version of my map.

That's good except for places like Rapid City as well as Western Nebraska and Western Kansas should probably just be left out of the Midwest completely just like you left out Southern Missouri, Illinois, and Indiana.

EDIT: Wait, what?? There's no way Madison or anywhere in Southern Wisconsin is part of the Lower Midwest. Plus Cincinnati is in the Lower Midwest. Yes it has a Southern influence but that's what the Lower Midwest is: the Midwest with a Southern tinge.

Last edited by MN55; 07-09-2010 at 04:31 PM..

Old 07-09-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Really? Interesting. I always thought of the western Dakotas as more "West" Granted, I've never been out there though.
You would be correct. I think the border between the West and Midwest is the Missouri River in the Dakotas.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:41 PM

Revised again

Old 07-09-2010, 04:46 PM

Fixed it for you. Now it's perfect.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:53 PM

Do you really think Bismarck and Rapid City are more like Salt Lake City or LA than Grand Forks or Sioux Falls? Those areas are still Midwest.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:55 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,399,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
Fixed it for you. Now it's perfect.
The Great Plains run North and South not East and West.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:09 PM

I've never been to Bismark so I can't comment. However I put it right on the border along with Minot which is based off of stuff I've heard on here and from people I know who've been there. Rapid City however, is very much a western town. Obviously it ain't a lot like SLC or LA but hey, Duluth is nothing like Cincinnati and Iowa City is nothin like Cleveland but they're all still considered Midwestern. Rapid City is much more similar to Wyoming, Coloroado and Montana than it is to anywhere Minnesota or Wisconsin. It matches cities such as Cheyenne, Fort Collins, Billings and Pueblo moreso than Fargo or Sioux Falls let alone St Cloud or Madison.

Does this place look Midwestern?

This is Wall, south dakota EAST of Rapid City:
http://www.aesd.k12.ca.us/Picture%20File/South%20Dakota/Wall/images/501%20Wall%20Drug%20Store,%20South%20Dakota_jpg.jp g (broken link)
Keyston, SD

Point out the Midwestern to me

http://drivingtoalaska.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/CapturePhoto-KeystoneStreet-5.173171615_std.JPG (broken link)

Old 07-09-2010, 08:47 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,118,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Do you really think Bismarck and Rapid City are more like Salt Lake City or LA than Grand Forks or Sioux Falls? Those areas are still Midwest.
Only if you think there is one Western culture it is. Salt Lake City is the focal point of a seperate Mormon culture which is along I-15 in Utah and Idaho. And LA is part of a Southern California culture.

The western Dakotas are part of one that is shared with the areas East of the front range of the Rockies. If this region is a subset of Midwest culture than significant parts of Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado are Midwest then.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:01 PM

400 posts, read 869,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Midwest Boundaries - Google Maps

Here's a map that I feel better illustrates the different cultural regions of the Midwest.
I've read this whole thread and in my opinion, you are the only one who has got the regions right. Your Great Plains region is correct: it's all of North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, 90% of Kansas, northwest corner of Missouri, western Iowa, and western Minnesota (technically it includes portions of Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana as well but those areas are not in the Midwest). Your upper Midwest region is also correct in that it includes Iowa north and east of Des Moines. That whole northeast quadrant of Iowa is upper Midwest, but many people here especially the Minneapolis people seem to think it is either Great Plains or rust belt.

The only thing I would take issue with is the distinction between rust belt and upper Midwest. I still think this is an unnecessary distinction in places like eastern Wisconsin and northern Illinois. Those areas are upper Midwest. It seems to be only Minneapolis people who think the Milwaukee/Chicago area is not upper Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or