U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 03:33 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,200,133 times

Advertisements

as others have said, Detroit.

Now, if we want to include our neighbours to the north, it'd be Toronto in a landslide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 09:51 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,406,006 times
Although not at the top of the list, Minneapolis has become increasingly Muslim, due primarily to the large numbers of Muslim Somali immigrants. I think it's a fairly safe bet the city will have moved up from the 20th spot by the time the 2010 numbers are available. Minneapolis (and metro area) have certainly changed quite a bit in just that short time and the increasing number of Muslim residents is very visible.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:41 AM

4,023 posts, read 6,434,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Although not at the top of the list, Minneapolis has become increasingly Muslim, due primarily to the large numbers of Muslim Somali immigrants. I think it's a fairly safe bet the city will have moved up from the 20th spot by the time the 2010 numbers are available. Minneapolis (and metro area) have certainly changed quite a bit in just that short time and the increasing number of Muslim residents is very visible.
Yes, between 2001 and 2009 the immigration in the US from Somalia exploded, and Minneapolis had the biggest part.And somalis have many babies, so yes I think Minneapolis will become a major city for muslims in the US.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:51 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,651,818 times
why isn't nyc on there as a whole? why just ny, ny?? i'm willing to bet that there's more muslims in queens than there are in manhattan by far.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:10 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,355,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Hollywood
You're kidding, right?

Most of the Muslims I know in the LA area live in the Valley, especially in Northridge and Granada Hills. What's interesting is that there are probably more Muslims OUTSIDE of LA County than in LA County, seeing that most of the Masjid locations are in Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino County

Mosque (Masjid) Finder Worldwide

http://www.america.gov/media/pdf/boo...in-america.pdf
If you guys are interested, this report details life in Muslim America. What's funny is that more and more Muslims are probably as religious as I am (which is, not very religious at all except for Ramadan and not eating pork)

Interestingly enough, unlike most countries in Europe, the Muslim population in the US is HIGHLY diverse (Page 26 of the 2nd link)

34% South Asian
26% Arab
25% African American
15% Other (which I'm part of, being from Southeast Asia)

By region:

32% South
29% Northeast
22% Midwest
18% West

We are an increasing presence in the American scene. And to be honest, I'm actually surprised at the LACK of anti-Islamic sentiment in the American populace considering the devastating effects of 9/11. This makes me so proud to be an American. Mash'Allah

Old 07-12-2010, 02:31 PM

1,588 posts, read 3,560,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraza9 View Post
Your numbers are bogus considering the Census numbers. Your table states that 52K muslims in NYC are south Asian. Consideringr that the official number of South Asians in NYC (excluding Indian; only Pakistani and Bangladeshi) is 200K according to the 2000 estimates - off the bat - the numbers are wrong. Unless of course you doubt the official 2000 census numbers.

End of discussion. Case closed.

Oh, and here are is my source. 600K muslims in NYC proper (probably close to 1MM for the metro area)

Columbia News ::: Columbia Presents First-Ever Study on Muslim Political, Social, Religious Identity in NYC

Please dont argue with me when it comes to demographics. Thanks in advance!
I will argue demographics with you all day, especially when dealing with religious affiliation. After all, definitive numbers don't exist because the U.S. Census is prohibited from asking about religious affiliation. In other words, we can't prove one another wrong.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:02 PM

4,023 posts, read 6,434,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
You're kidding, right?

Most of the Muslims I know in the LA area live in the Valley, especially in Northridge and Granada Hills. What's interesting is that there are probably more Muslims OUTSIDE of LA County than in LA County, seeing that most of the Masjid locations are in Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino County

If you guys are interested, this report details life in Muslim America. What's funny is that more and more Muslims are probably as religious as I am (which is, not very religious at all except for Ramadan and not eating pork)

Interestingly enough, unlike most countries in Europe, the Muslim population in the US is HIGHLY diverse (Page 26 of the 2nd link)

34% South Asian
26% Arab
25% African American

By region:

32% South
29% Northeast
22% Midwest
18% West

We are an increasing presence in the American scene. And to be honest, I'm actually surprised at the LACK of anti-Islamic sentiment in the American populace considering the devastating effects of 9/11. This makes me so proud to be an American. Mash'Allah
Interesting numbers
And I guess you (or your ancestors) come from Indonesia or Malaysia ?

Old 07-13-2010, 08:18 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,232,570 times
Quote:
You're kidding, right?

34% South Asian
26% Arab
25% African American

By region:

32% South
29% Northeast
22% Midwest
18% West

I am very surprised by the number of Muslims in metro Los Angeles. I knew that there was a fairly large Iranian\ Persian population in LA but understood that many were actually Jewish or Christian. I have only seen one mosque and that was near USC. I wonder if those figures are correct?

Old 07-13-2010, 10:53 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,953,196 times
Quote:
I think one thing that might help is that American Muslims tend to be more moderate than those in much of Europe. The other is America has been religiously diverse for a long time without ever having a religious war. So we have a bit more experience on how to deal with things without violence or hostility.

Although I think in polls many Americans state they distrust Muslims, but they don't necessarily want to do anything to them.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:06 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,355,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Interesting numbers
And I guess you (or your ancestors) come from Indonesia or Malaysia ?
Nope. My parents are from the Philippines. Sucks coming from a really Catholic country where even the name of the nationality is named after a Spanish king who HATED Muslims. It's ok though, that's why I'm an American

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I am very surprised by the number of Muslims in metro Los Angeles. I knew that there was a fairly large Iranian\ Persian population in LA but understood that many were actually Jewish or Christian. I have only seen one mosque and that was near USC. I wonder if those figures are correct?
Many of those who came from Iran came as a result of the 1979 Islamic Revolution. Remember: the Shah's government really pushed for secularization at all cores, which helped bring about his downfall (that was deeply unpopular in the countryside).

Many of those who came from Iran were religious minorities (especially Jews and Armenians) because they feared the treatment they would face under an Islamic regime. The religious minority groups also happened to be some of the most well off Iranians.

I've met some Iranian Muslims here in the US, but they're extremely secular and vehemently pro-Shahi. However, as time passes on and the Islamic Revolution becomes more and more distant, its becoming less of an issue. If you're more interested in the migration of Iranians out of Iran, I suggest reading some works by Nikkie Keddie to get a glimpse into the diaspora.

Most of the Muslims I know personally are Pakistani, Bangladeshi, or Arab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think one thing that might help is that American Muslims tend to be more moderate than those in much of Europe. The other is America has been religiously diverse for a long time without ever having a religious war. So we have a bit more experience on how to deal with things without violence or hostility.

Although I think in polls many Americans state they distrust Muslims, but they don't necessarily want to do anything to them.
I haven't come across hostility to my face since I don't "look Muslim", and I haven't heard anti-Islamic discourse to my face yet. However, I did have a friend whose dad asked me why I didn't convert to Catholicism yet, since Muslims are so "mysterious and distrustful". I said "well, why don't you come convert me then, eh?"

As 9/11 becomes more and more of a memory, its becoming less and less of an issue.

Lets be honest with ourselves..what does it mean to be a Moderate Muslim? It has NO meaning at all. Its a question of integration, not one of faith. The history of Muslims in Europe is extremely complex (mostly dealing with the attitudes the Europeans had toward their colonials AND their guest workers), and should be looked at wider lenses than just the religious one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or