U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 06:08 PM

24 posts, read 47,185 times

Advertisements

Don't bash me i'm new to this forum. but i have been doing major research on houses and different states where i wold like to life.and i have been using wiki also which is very useful. but i have a few questions that i would like answered if possible, i'm not really a city guy i cant stand the traffic and all that so i like the out skirts and smaller towns.
So far i have narrowed my choices down to :

Vermont (.....don't remember)
Michigan (maybe Wyoming/grand rapids)
Wisconsin (maybe Niagara)
Wyoming (maybe Casper/Lovell/Cody)

OK so now can any natives from there or anybody that lived there give me any advice or info about the small cities or towns there? i have lived in Arizona long enough and i cant take this place anymore nor the heat.i want to get far away from here as possible.so th questions that i have are general but the only way to get answers is to ask.so here are what i am concerned about:

how is the job economy there? like would it be easy to get a basic/average low paying job there in general?

how is the over all weather? mostly storm wise and coldness? but over all in general?

since it is cold fairly often how much do people pay on there bill in general more or less to keep warm using gas or electric?

what small cities or (small)towns would you recommend?

since houses are older and weather is harsh do you run into a needing a lot of repairs house wise?

And one more question. i mean no offense asking this so please don't get offended, but i'm Puerto Rican but look African American and my future wife is Mexican.I know is certain areas of the USA there is racism in any of those areas i listed above would it maybe affect anything? like trying to get a job or anyting?

I ask because i'm not familiar with that part of the us. And i'm just compiling all this info to help me choose a city.I'm still looking at different towns in the states but so far i'm leaning towards Wisconsin and Vermont and Michigan. I'm liking them cause the houses and land are cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 06:31 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,995,589 times
Taxes in much of the Northeast are beastly compared to the rest of America, so that would be more of an issue than worrying about heating your home, but real estate pricing varies.
Syracuse NY for example is on of the most affordable cities in the nation (though the property taxes aren't really all that low), and it's metro area isn't so sprawly and expensive compared to a lot of the North East (beautiful country out there).

The Syracuse, Pittsburgh, and Columbus (OH) areas would be my suggestions. Just poke around the area of these cities, I'm sure you'll find some charming small towns.

Grand Rapids sounds like a good bet too.
Wyoming is a tough place to live from the things I've hear, I may be misinformed though.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:27 PM

24 posts, read 47,185 times
well i have been to all those cities except syracuse and living arizona for many years i want to get away from the city.there is why to much crime which i know is every where but pittsburgh is decent since my sister lives there but so many areas there are getting bad and runned down and slowly turning to ghettos. so i kinda of wanna be away from the younger crowd if you kinda catch my drift.
does anydoby have maybe a rough estimate on the property tax? maybe from personal experiance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or