U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:58 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,151,401 times

Advertisements

I don't think the Great Plains is booming by any means. Sure cities like Omaha and Sioux Falls are doing well, but growth in the region as a whole had been either stagnant or on the decline for decades. What's happening now is the migration of the remaining residents to where jobs and services are located, and that's in the larger cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 05:51 PM

143 posts, read 87,971 times
Alright, I will start by saying that I am from Omaha, born and raised. However, I do not consider Omaha a boom town in any sense of the word. Slow and steady growth, with a healthy economy. Plain and simple.

What are your thoughts? Below is the link to the Omaha forum where the general consensus seems to be that Omaha is in fact a boom town. ha!

Here - The Great Plains Boom

Old 07-12-2010, 05:55 PM

143 posts, read 87,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
I don't think the Great Plains is booming by any means. Sure cities like Omaha and Sioux Falls are doing well, but growth in the region as a whole had been either stagnant or on the decline for decades. What's happening now is the migration of the remaining residents to where jobs and services are located, and that's in the larger cities.
To be fair to Great Plains cities, the larger cities do happen to be adding significant amounts of news jobs, and many well paying jobs at that. Even cities from 20-50K in Nebraska are doing quite well.

It's the rural areas where the outward migration seems to be taking place, but they are moving all over the country.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:54 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,007,201 times
Well not many people lived there to begin with, so any growth is gonna look like a boom.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:18 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,118,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_dave11 View Post
To be fair to Great Plains cities, the larger cities do happen to be adding significant amounts of news jobs, and many well paying jobs at that. Even cities from 20-50K in Nebraska are doing quite well.

It's the rural areas where the outward migration seems to be taking place, but they are moving all over the country.
The emptying of rural areas is a trend in many parts of the country. There are a number of places that have less people now than in 1900.

Also in a number of these places it takes a small absolute number to equal a large percentage so the low base number has to be taken into account. Then again growing too fast has its own set of problems so maybe a steady growth is best.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:43 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,429,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Fargo and Sioux Falls are booming and will boom stronger this decade.These areas are business-friendly, have good schools, a low crime rate and a low unemployment rate
These cities will attract many businesses/people from Michigan, Illinois and Ohio, these declining states !
Fargo? Puhleeze. Im glad to see its FINALLY "booming", but the fact that youre experiencing it only in 2010 is a bit sad when you look at it. What youre finally experiencing there is something that IL has experienced since its inception. I love it when some puny states finally experience a little growth and their egos blow up like a suicide bomber.

Fact: Places like Fargo are about as significant (when compared to places like Chicago) as a pimple on a gnat's dong.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:27 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,976,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Booms are good. I wish them the best of luck.
I wonder what they will do after closing the office doors at the end of each day?
Look at the photo of Fargo, see any pedestrians?
It looks like that picture is at night. Fargo's a pretty safe city, but maybe it's not that great to walk there at night for weather or other reasons.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:31 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,598,395 times
I hate booms for one reason. Stupid people trying to change a state's culture. Enjoy your state before it completely becomes like California...

Old 07-13-2010, 10:44 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,976,124 times
If Fargo is booming I don't think it's like Californians or New Yorkers are flooding in to it. Going by the migration map on Forbes they are getting some migration from Los Angeles, but most of the in-migration seems to be in the North Dakota/Minnesota area itself with some additional migration from Chicago and Iowa.

Map: Where Americans Are Moving - Forbes.com

Old 07-14-2010, 12:10 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,233,190 times
Certain plains cities are booming (while much of the rural plains continues its catastrophic depopulation) for one reason and one reason only: the oil boom. The good times may be rolling now, but ask Pittsburgh or Detroit what happens if you hitch your economy to a single horse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or