U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-13-2010, 06:50 PM
 
Location: MINNESOTA
1,178 posts, read 2,358,461 times
Reputation: 499

Advertisements

To that crazy kid who said MPLS is "cold'' in the summer... Check this out..

TODAY FOR DULUTH: Duluth Weather Forecast and Conditions MN

TODAY FOR MPLS: Minneapolis Weather Forecast and Conditions MN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2010, 07:30 AM
 
Location: Bothell, Washington
2,701 posts, read 4,667,977 times
Reputation: 3671
I want to add to what others have said about Seattle- the normal high temperature in the summer months is lower to mid 70's. For example, the next week from now has high temperatures forecasted to be between 72-75 degrees, with the last few days having been only in the 60's. Of course there are occasional heat waves- last week there were a couple of days in the 90's, but those broke individual high temperature records each day, so obviously it's not that hot very often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2010, 09:05 AM
 
6,046 posts, read 10,045,996 times
Reputation: 2334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
To that crazy kid who said MPLS is "cold'' in the summer... Check this out..

TODAY FOR DULUTH: Duluth Weather Forecast and Conditions MN

TODAY FOR MPLS: Minneapolis Weather Forecast and Conditions MN
Sure, Minneapolis might get hot in the summer (even though the heat in Minneapolis is nothing compared to other places). But the summers don't last long and much of the year is cold in Minneapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2010, 09:43 AM
 
Location: MINNESOTA
1,178 posts, read 2,358,461 times
Reputation: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Sure, Minneapolis might get hot in the summer (even though the heat in Minneapolis is nothing compared to other places). But the summers don't last long and much of the year is cold in Minneapolis.
If 50s are 'cold' then maybe? With weather though it's all a matter of who... Some people thrive in heat. To me, I wish MN was just warmer in April and October. APR and OCT are decent months, but have some days that are cooler than 50 and the 'edge' months of seasons, they can really make the winter seem stretched out..

April-October are all months that average over 50 degrees. The only 'scary' months are December, January and February... I live here and I think it's disgustingly cold then. Yikes.

I used to landscape outside from April to October in Minneapolis and there were some pretty rough days, since there are so many lakes the humidity is tough.

But I really don't get how people from Houston and Atlanta do it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2010, 10:26 AM
 
1,250 posts, read 2,116,144 times
Reputation: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Arizona...and no, I'm not kidding. Flagstaff is at 7000' and has more nights below freezing than any other town in the lower 48. It's also in the high desert so it has little humidity...awesome climate! We had no AC in Flagstaff and never needed it. The hottest it got when we lived there was 90, and that only happened 3 times in 2 summers!
Averages: High/Low
June - 78/41
July - 82/50
Aug - 79/49

Another option might be North Carolina - again, not kidding. Check out Boone and the surrounding "High Country" towns. Boone is at 3333' and usually around 15 degrees cooler than the cities in NC. We have a log cabin up near Boone and don't have AC there...never needed it. This is another area that rarely hits 90 degrees. There is considerable humidity, however the moderate temps mean it's usually not a problem.
Averages: High/Low
June - 73/54
July - 76/58
Aug - 75/57
Most people would be suprised how mild the summers tend to be in those places.

In terms of these two locations, there are likely smaller communities that are even higher in elevation making for cooler temperatures. I remember seeing some points in Tennessee and North Carolina that had the highest recorded temperature in some spots is 80 degrees and can have freezing temperatures and flurries in the summer. Of course those spots are uninhabited natural areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2010, 10:47 AM
 
6,046 posts, read 10,045,996 times
Reputation: 2334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
If 50s are 'cold' then maybe? With weather though it's all a matter of who... Some people thrive in heat. To me, I wish MN was just warmer in April and October. APR and OCT are decent months, but have some days that are cooler than 50 and the 'edge' months of seasons, they can really make the winter seem stretched out..

April-October are all months that average over 50 degrees. The only 'scary' months are December, January and February... I live here and I think it's disgustingly cold then. Yikes.

I used to landscape outside from April to October in Minneapolis and there were some pretty rough days, since there are so many lakes the humidity is tough.

But I really don't get how people from Houston and Atlanta do it
I've never been to Minneapolis, but I know that November-March would be scary months for me. When I lived in Massachusetts, I found November-March too cold and Minneapolis is even colder during those months. November-March is 5 months...almost half the year. I'd say that's a large portion of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2010, 02:48 PM
 
Location: MINNESOTA
1,178 posts, read 2,358,461 times
Reputation: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I've never been to Minneapolis, but I know that November-March would be scary months for me. When I lived in Massachusetts, I found November-March too cold and Minneapolis is even colder during those months. November-March is 5 months...almost half the year. I'd say that's a large portion of the year.
LOL.

At some point during the winter (This happens to everyone living in MN), everybody will always shutter to themselves while scurrying to their car from their home or whatever... "Why the F do I live here!?!?!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2010, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Durham, NC
2,536 posts, read 8,122,145 times
Reputation: 1624
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
Most people would be suprised how mild the summers tend to be in those places.

In terms of these two locations, there are likely smaller communities that are even higher in elevation making for cooler temperatures. I remember seeing some points in Tennessee and North Carolina that had the highest recorded temperature in some spots is 80 degrees and can have freezing temperatures and flurries in the summer. Of course those spots are uninhabited natural areas.
As for Flagstaff, there aren't many residential areas at much higher altitudes that it. There might be some backwoods spots in AZ's White Mountins in the eastern part of the state that are a bit higher and cooler, but that'd be it.

In NC, there are actually many homes at elevations higher than Boone. In fact, Beech Mountain near Boone is the highest town on the east coast and is located over 5000'. It is cold and snowy in the winter and summer highs at that elevation are usually in the 60s or low 70s...sometimes 50s. There are a lot of areas outside Asheville at similar elevations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top