U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 4,280 times

Advertisements

Where I live everyone earns the same, lives the same. The homes are all normal 3-4 bed room homes.Doesn't matter if you drop out of school or become a doctor. You're more or less at the same level. It sucks for us that deal with self empowerment and trying to attain a superior lifestyle.

So I have a question. Do all American small towns have trailer parks and big homes? By big homes I mean stuff like this. The Cullen home from the Twilight movie? Or are the homes pretty much the same all over the town?
http://designtavern.com/wp-content/u...tecthouse1.jpg
http://designtavern.com/wp-content/u...nhouse2-11.jpg
more: [url=http://www.designtavern.com/2008/12/fit-for-a-vampire-the-hoke-house-the-cullen-house-from-twilight-skylab-architecture/]The Hoke House (the Cullen House from Twilight) - Skylab Architecture | Design Tavern[/url]

And do small towns "shrink." i mean do less people move in/get born in them than the oens moving to bigger cities. Or does it stay at the same level?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,280 times
I know that these might seem like retarded questions. But I'm serious here.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:16 PM

56,565 posts, read 80,847,919 times
I think housing styles vary depending upon the town.

I think "shrinking" depends upon the small town too. Some stay roughly the same in population. Some grow and some lose population. Just like any other type of community really.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:23 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,958,982 times
It varies. The following C-D list has town over 5,000 with big disparities on house values.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/h174.html

In my small town there are some pretty rich people, but the poor are usually not very poor. There are some who live pretty poor though. However many of the rich avoid looking ostentatious in town because the community knows that a few rich families dominate our economy and so they fear being ostentatious in town might just build resentment. However some of them live large on Vegas trips or build nice houses in the country.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:14 PM

5,093 posts, read 6,857,884 times
Depends on where the town is.

In small town WV, the poor don't actually live in the town-- "most of the time"

houses are nicer in town. But the outskirts are hidden with poverty

In my home town this isn't really true though. The poor live in town, while the middle class and rich live either on the riverfront or outside of town near the interstate

Old 07-11-2010, 08:56 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,116,491 times
It really depends on the size of the town for one. (I am assuming by small town a place around 5000 people away from a city) The housing stock tends to be less varied but becomes more varies the larger you go. It also depends how close you are from a metro area (at least 75000 people or so) since that would make a difference. Age of community and history is another important factor into this. I don't think there is any town where the housing is homogenous, what varies is the type of middle-of the road housing and how high end the top housing is.

Also of note is things like region and culture could factor into this. Also cost of living plays into this since rural areas will be cheaper, especially for housing. I have to think that wealthier people might not be as flashy in their lifestyles compared to other places. This is in part due to being more likely to interact with people of different incomes and there are less people to try to keep up with.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:21 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,453,515 times
I always thought that there was a nice side of town, a bad side of town and a normal side of town, thats how it is in New Mexico. The nice side of town although may be middle class in other states or larger cities. I grew up in a small town of about 11,000 people in Eastern NM, the houses were more run down in the north side of town(taco town), and the people with money usually had big brick houses out in the country or on the outskirts of town with acres of land, usually dairy farmers. Money is measured in who has the biggest and newest fully equiped tractor.

For the most part, the houses are all around 3 bedrooms, no matter how much money one makes, its just not a money hungry show off what you got kinda town.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:54 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,989,343 times
I think park of the equation is the region of the US and the age of the city. I don't know of any city that doesn't have cookie cutter bungalows, Sear's Kit homes and prefabs the first half othe the 20th century. Most small towns have a small trailer park on the outskirts of town and Section 8 housing that is not necessarily an awful thing in all areas of the US. I think ranching states are very different than farming states in terms of topography and distribution of communities.

I live in a small town where the architecture is varied from the original small white frame Catholic Church to the ultra modern brick and mortar church. You'll find Vicotrian, McMansions, 1940 bungalow, historical homes where Abraham Lincoln stayed when he was a Circuit Rider, the old theater that showed the first 'talkie', brick paved streets, custom build homes, homes converted from a business and major US routes. It is an interesting mix of buildings in a town that has a history that includes wooden ferries and sidewalks, Al Capone and a Carnegie Library. I live in the Midwest. If you go to Louisiana, New Mexico, Wisonsin's thumb Door County or Eureka Springs in Arkansas you find an entirely different history, scenery, housing stock and way. America is a history book from border to border that is worth reading.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:51 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,958,982 times
If you just mean in terms of architecture in my, very limited, experience mountainous places sometimes have a variety in architecture. Also the variety of the people who settled in the area might matter. So an ethnically diverse mountainous area might have more variety. I think there are parts of, or near, the North Carolina mountains where Scotch-Irish, English, German, Black and recently Hmong have settled. People here say Asheville has variety, but I don't know if they mean architecture.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:42 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,998,915 times
I grew up in a town of 10,000 in TN. There were homes for everyone: rich, poor, in between. Big houses, small houses, regular houses, trailers, apartments, townhouses, etc. Neighborhoods that looked suburban, rural, backwoods, Section 8 housing. We had everything. Some parts of town were more mixed, meaning poor people lived right beside rich people, because in my town lower-income people weren't feared by the rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.