U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 05:21 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,128,171 times

Advertisements

I lived in Sydney for a few years in the 80s and loved it! The most "Sydney-like" places you'll find are San Diego and the Bay Area. But as previous posters have said, the cost of living is exceptionally high. I would move to San Diego in a heartbeat, but simply cannot justify the cost compared to where I'm living now...or most other places for that matter.

I see others have knocked Philadelphia, but I personally love Philly. Great city that seems far more practical for everyday life than Manhattan, and MUCH more affordable than NYC or Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 06:31 AM

10,171 posts, read 12,807,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgirl26 View Post
I'm a 28 year old single professional female looking to move somewhere new in the US. I previously lived in Sydney and absolutely loved it. If it was in the US I would move there in a heart beat. Not ready to make the permanent move I returned home to my small town in NY outside of NYC. Where I live now it's all families and I'm ready for a better social life again. I need some advice on where I should head to.

I'm not a big fan of cold winters, humidity is not ideal and I love being active outdoors especially the beach. I'm laid back and although I want a city I would like to still have a car. Dog friendly too! I would prefer a city as I will be moving alone and want to have a better networking of meeting people.

Although it would be great to stay close to family, I know NYC is too intense for me and I have already lived in Boston for several years. I'm thinking of Philly, DC, San Diego, SF, Charleston, Atlanta.

If people have lived both places or have visited both I would love to hear any advice people may have.

Thanks so much!
Given your weather criteria, that knocks out the majority of the cities in our country.

The three best after that would probably be San Diego, Washington DC, Atlanta (in that order).

San Diego & Atlanta have a very high unemployment rate and aren't the best options for weathering this condition of our economy.

Otherwise San Diego meets all your criteria perfectly. But you have to consider the housing expenses and job availability, unless your job is transferring there.

I would go with Washington DC, the only let down is the weather sometimes, but it's still better than most places weather wise.
Washington DC, has the lowest unemployment rate out of any big city in the country. Which plays a huge role when making that decision.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:46 PM

46 posts, read 114,636 times
Going by your weather preferences the cold eliminates the Midwest and most of the Northeast. The humidity would knockout most of the South. Charlotte and Atlanta are pretty humid. Even Washington is pretty muggy. I'd say maybe Oklahoma City, Dallas, Kansas City or someplace out West.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 1,686 times
What type of city is Charleston? Would you recommend this city to someone single and in their late 20's? I thought San Diego was beautiful when I visited but I have to admit I was surprised by the lack of a downtown/neighborhood feel. DC seems like a great city with good suburbs. The summers are humid but I'd rather have that then Boston winters. Are the DC summers similar to Charleston?

Having a car is also important to me too.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:15 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,093,248 times
You could check Austin out plenty of young professionals and it's a pretty good place for singles while were not on the beach there's several lakes around Austin and Corpus is a few hours away but there's tons of outdoor stuff to do around Austin.

Highland Lakes Visitors Guide

GACC | The Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce :: Austin, Texas

Austin Texas - Events, Austin Hotels & Attractions, Convention Information, Guides, and More - ACVB

City of Austin - Parks and Recreation Department: Greenbelts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or