U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2010, 09:22 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,229,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
No, it appears to me that if you were to zoom out on the map, much of the rest of Texas would be included in the shaded portion.

But it obviously isnt included...I literally dont see any other cities other than Houston and Tyler on the map...there is no zoom out from what Ive been able to tell...thats their demarcation of the Deep south as they see it...you can enlarge it if thats what you mean, but that would just be the same demarcation, only in larger resolution.

surely if they meant to include Dallas or Austin, they would make some reference to those cities on the map..especially if they have the wherewithall to reference little bitty Tyler..

In my opinion, even if the rest of the entire state were shaded...the very fact that the U.s. govt has the insight to crop it down to an area that clearly defines what they consider the deep south, means that they are even more discerning and perceptive than the original publisher of the map.

Oh well...take it or leave it...its just their take on the deep south

Last edited by solytaire; 07-12-2010 at 09:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 09:30 PM

5,429 posts, read 13,176,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
But it obviously isnt included...I literally dont see any other cities other than Houston and Tyler on the map...there is no zoom out from what Ive been able to tell...thats their demarcation of the Deep south as they see it...you can enlarge it if thats what you mean, but that would just be the same demarcation, only in larger resolution.

surely if they meant to include Dallas or Austin, they would make some reference to those cities on the map..especially if they have the wherewithall to reference little bitty Tyler..

Oh well...take it or leave it...its just their take on the deep south
OMG... this is getting tired.
The shaded portion within the line is what I'm talking about. It clearly does not loop around Houston or Tyler. It clearly looks to include much of the rest of Texas if you were to expand the map -- this map looks like a snippet of a US map.
And what about every other map in the search... again, either Texas is excluded, or all/most of Texas is included. Meaning Houston is not separated from Dallas and Austin to be included in with places like New Orleans or Mobile or Birmingham... which was my original point.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
OMG... this is getting tired.
The shaded portion within the line is what I'm talking about. It clearly does not loop around Houston or Tyler. It clearly looks to include much of the rest of Texas if you were to expand the map -- this map looks like a snippet of a US map.
And what about every other map in the search... again, either Texas is excluded, or all/most of Texas is included. Meaning Houston is not separated from Dallas and Austin to be included in with places like New Orleans or Mobile or Birmingham... which was my original point.
what every other map search?...you dont even have to google anything, you just type in america.gov and run a search and it has info on every region of the U.s. Its a pretty common resource for finding info on the U.s. and its world affairs.

Anyway...now we are just quibbling over pedantry such as loops and shading and so forth, rather than definition...nothing more than the old predictable dismissal of each other's internet "evidence" ...In my opinion, Houston is in the same region as the rest of the Deep south, and in your opinion its not..in the end, thats really all there is to it...there is no amount of maps and statistics that will bring us to consensus on this issue.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:31 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,567,771 times
I made a few changes. Hope you guys in Houston are happy now.

South boundaries - Google Maps

Old 07-12-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
I made a few changes. Hope you guys in Houston are happy now.

lmao...

Old 07-13-2010, 07:08 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,117,296 times
I have to ask on some of these map links, but when were some of them made? Have to consider the South is the most rapidly changing region culturally in the US at this point to the effect that a 10 year old map could be very outdated especially in regard to metro areas.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:26 AM

5,098 posts, read 7,585,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Like my Midwest thread, I did a map of the different cultural regions of the South. Here it is. I'm from the North, so if I got anything wrong, I'm sorry.

i only kinda glanced at it, but it looks kinda thorough. however, for strictly cultural purposes, i would go ahead and throw the georgia and south carolina portions of the piedmont in with the deep south. and also, there's NO WAY the deep south extends all the way into north carolina and virginia

ok, now i'm going to read the entire thread so i can see a whole bunch of people nitpick and claim that "________ is nothing like _________"

Old 07-13-2010, 11:41 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,117,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i only kinda glanced at it, but it looks kinda thorough. however, for strictly cultural purposes, i would go ahead and throw the georgia and south carolina portions of the piedmont in with the deep south. and also, there's NO WAY the deep south extends all the way into north carolina and virginia

ok, now i'm going to read the entire thread so i can see a whole bunch of people nitpick and claim that "________ is nothing like _________"
The issue is that the Piedmont is becoming so different from the Deep South and becoming moreso over time. Also there are some differences pre-transplants that did exist as a function of terrain which effected things. I have to ask if the area gets culturally swamped so long that it is no longer Southern or just slightly so. And that aspect has historically happened, look at how all of Missouri was descibed especially St. Louis area.

The idea of places becoming less Southern is a popular topic, but are there places that are or could become more Southern in the future? Of course basic definition drift could also happen as well.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Sure I have. I don't think I'm cherry-picking... everything named in my last post were descriptives created by the creator of the map, not me.
The other evidence I gave previous to that is rather significant.
If anyone's cherry-picking and grasping for straws, I think it's you.

Which is not very significant, because it's also the largest city in the south. 25% Black is a small percentage compared to many other metros, and it's even a lower percent as you expand to metro population. This subject has been beaten like a dead horse here in city-data.

Houston and Dallas mirror each other almost exactly as far as racial percentages. FACT. Houston is much more similar to Dallas than to "deep south" places like Mississippi or Alabama. I don't need to "cherry-pick" data for that to be obvious, seems you just have some odd reasoning for thinking it needs to be excluded from the other major metros in Texas, as if it's so dramatically different (which is incorrect.)
oh my god! you are driving me crazy with this. the changes that you see in houston (having a large international population; politically moderate, etc.) are due to it being a big city. it is not the only city like this. atlanta has a large international population and is also politically moderate. is it not the deep south either?

you have to look at the ROOT of the city. and despite changes to the urban fabric of houston, it was originally a black and white, PROTESTANT, cotton town. just like the rest of the south

the reason that cities like birmingham and charlotte still have a heavy concentration of southern culture is because they are much smaller cities. what do you think houston was like decades ago?

Old 07-13-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
The issue is that the Piedmont is becoming so different from the Deep South and becoming moreso over time. Also there are some differences pre-transplants that did exist as a function of terrain which effected things. I have to ask if the area gets culturally swamped so long that it is no longer Southern or just slightly so. And that aspect has historically happened, look at how all of Missouri was descibed especially St. Louis area.

The idea of places becoming less Southern is a popular topic, but are there places that are or could become more Southern in the future? Of course basic definition drift could also happen as well.
but we have to remember that the piedmont south is more than just raleigh or charlotte. it's also cities like augusta, ga and aiken, sc. and when you look at what all entails the "deep south", these two cities fit the bill perfectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or