U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-13-2010, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Funky Town, Texas
4,137 posts, read 7,201,764 times
Reputation: 2152

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
how insightful. "yeah, it doesn't look like it, so it can't be it". once again, FOR MOST OF HOUSTON'S HISTORY, IT HAS BEEN CONSIDERED PART OF EAST TEXAS. that is FACT.

oh, and is not called southeast texas? what is this obsession people have with thinking that east texas has to be this solid, monolithic area?
Southeast Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
southeast texas is a subregion of east texas. what's so hard to understand about that?
Wiki also said this....

Most of the region consists of the Piney Woods ecoregion, and East Texas can sometimes be reduced to include only the Piney Woods. Houston is rarely regarded as a part of East Texas and is more closely associated with the Coastal Bend along the Gulf of Mexico; as has been the case for most of the city's recent history. At the fringes, towards central Texas, the forests expand outward toward sparser trees and eventually into open plains.

East Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-13-2010, 01:24 PM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 7,594,083 times
Reputation: 1934
oh, and don't even sit there and try to tell me that houston doesn't even resemble east texas

fm 1960 houston tx - Google Maps

hell, this looks more like south georgia than it does like texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2010, 01:25 PM
 
3,424 posts, read 5,235,342 times
Reputation: 1819
I agree that Houston has east Texas roots...Of course its too large now to share many commonalities with any smaller, non urbanized region..but it is an east texas city at heart...Most of its early settlers (obviously its founder wasnt) to Houston were from East Texas, Louisiana, or Mississippi...

Regarding marshall, there are people that consider marshall part of the Arklatex, just as people consider Houston a part of southeast Texas or the gulf coast...Both are east texas locations, but each have more specific regional appellations which can be used to further distinguish them from the rest of east Texas..these appellations dont mean that east texas and gulf coast/southeast texas/arklatex labels are mutually exclusive...or that one negates the other...but they are just a descriptor of which part of East Texas the cities are in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2010, 01:28 PM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 7,594,083 times
Reputation: 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Wiki also said this....

Most of the region consists of the Piney Woods ecoregion, and East Texas can sometimes be reduced to include only the Piney Woods. Houston is rarely regarded as a part of East Texas and is more closely associated with the Coastal Bend along the Gulf of Mexico; as has been the case for most of the city's recent history. At the fringes, towards central Texas, the forests expand outward toward sparser trees and eventually into open plains.

East Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
how does that refute anything i'm saying. i never said that most people consider houston east texas today, i said that for most of the city's history it has been included in the region

as far as houston being more like the coastal bend, if you want to sit there with a straight face and tell me that houston is CULTURALLY more like harlingen than it is like huntsville, be my guest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2010, 01:29 PM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 7,594,083 times
Reputation: 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
i agree that houston has east texas roots...of course its too large now to share many commonalities with any smaller, non urbanized region..but it is an east texas city at heart...most of its early settlers (obviously its founder wasnt) to houston were from east texas, louisiana, or mississippi...

Regarding marshall, there are people that consider marshall part of the arklatex, just as people consider houston a part of southeast texas or the gulf coast...both are east texas locations, but each have more specific regional appellations which can be used to further distinguish them from the rest of east texas..these appellations dont mean that east texas and gulf coast/southeast texas/arklatex are mutually exclusive...or that one negates the other...but they are just a descriptor of which part of east texas the cities are in.
+1, thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2010, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Funky Town, Texas
4,137 posts, read 7,201,764 times
Reputation: 2152
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
how does that refute anything i'm saying. i never said that most people consider houston east texas today, i said that for most of the city's history it has been included in the region

as far as houston being more like the coastal bend, if you want to sit there with a straight face and tell me that houston is CULTURALLY more like harlingen than it is like huntsville, be my guest
I am not gone argue about this...Houston has more incoming with Bryan/College Station than Huntsville, Texas...Lets just agree to disagree...What I consider east Texas is just different from what you consider East Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2010, 01:38 PM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 7,594,083 times
Reputation: 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I am not gone argue about this...Houston has more incoming with Bryan/College Station than Huntsville, Texas...Lets just agree to disagree...What I consider east Texas is just different from what you consider East Texas.
NO. this is a discussion forum. if you're going to make assertions, you should be prepared to tell people exactly why. otherwise i'm going to have to assume that you don't really know what you're talking about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2010, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
5,990 posts, read 11,580,892 times
Reputation: 3235
I don't see how you can argue this. To me, as a Midwesterner, I don't see the difference at all. Houston seems "Deep South," obviously with a more progressive urban culture. It reminds me of Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2010, 01:40 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,230 posts, read 9,144,878 times
Reputation: 1407
Can I add my 2₵?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2010, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Funky Town, Texas
4,137 posts, read 7,201,764 times
Reputation: 2152
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
NO. this is a discussion forum. if you're going to make assertions, you should be prepared to tell people exactly why. otherwise i'm going to have to assume that you don't really know what you're talking about
Jluke from Waco and I am from Fort Worth so our perpective on what's considered east texas may be different from those on the gulf coast. I've never considered Houston to be deep south let alone East Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top