U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 01:43 PM

4,136 posts, read 7,192,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Can I add my 2₵?
Please do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 01:47 PM

5,098 posts, read 7,585,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Jluke from Waco and I am from Fort Worth so our perpective on what's considered east texas may be different from those on the gulf coast. I've never considered Houston to be deep south let alone East Texas.
okay, and what keeps it from being so? list some elements of east texas/deep south that you won't find in houston

Old 07-13-2010, 01:58 PM

4,136 posts, read 7,192,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
okay, and what keeps it from being so? list some elements of east texas/deep south that you won't find in houston

Houston is on the gulf coast and share more similarities with Beaumont and Port Arthur than East Texas. Anybody that has ever been to East Texas can see a striking resemblance to the old south.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:59 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,135,109 times
Houston north of the I-10 resembles East Texas. Houston south of the I-10 and east and the West Loop and Southwest Freeway resemble coastal Southwest Louisiana. Houston East of West Loop is somewhere in between. To me that says the Northside is definitely deep south in character and the Southside is arguable. Southwest maybe.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Houston is on the gulf coast and share more similarities with Beaumont and Port Arthur than East Texas. Anybody that has ever been to East Texas can see a striking resemblance to the old south.
this still doesn't tell me how that makes them different

the gulf coastal south extends all the way from texas to georgia, but this does not necessarily separate these areas from the deep south

Old 07-13-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Houston north of the I-10 resembles East Texas. Houston south of the I-10 and east and the West Loop and Southwest Freeway resemble coastal Southwest Louisiana. Houston East of West Loop is somewhere in between. To me that says the Northside is definitely deep south in character and the Southside is arguable. Southwest maybe.
i really don't think it's that cut-and-dry. the culture doesn't magically change once you're south of I-10, and this isn't just about trees, people

Old 07-13-2010, 02:08 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,135,109 times
Quote:
i really don't think it's that cut-and-dry. the culture doesn't magically change once you're south of I-10, and this isn't just about trees, people
I saying topographically... I don't know the difference between "deep south" people and regular southerners.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:31 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,680,544 times
Quote:
I saying topographically... I don't know the difference between "deep south" people and regular southerners.
There is no difference imo.

When people think Deep south; they assume it's filled with nothing but rednecks, poverty, crime, bad education systems, and more. However, that is far from the truth. Deep south is really just another way for saying Lower South.

Anyways, the majority of Texas shares the same history as deep south, but it's hard to label Texas as deep south when it's location is in a more centralized part compared to the rest of the south. Texas is split between the southwest and the southeast.

What I don't get is why are people saying Houston is East Texas at heart. Historically; many cities west of 45 resembled (not in appearance, but culture and lifestyles) East Texas of today. The difference is places like Houston, Dallas, Austin, and others have become infested with transplants; diluting the southern culture. East Texas is the complete opposite of that. Once East Texas starts attracting more transplants and people; it'll slowly lose it's southern ways as well.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:48 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,680,544 times
Quote:
oh, and don't even sit there and try to tell me that houston doesn't even resemble east texas

fm 1960 houston tx - Google Maps

hell, this looks more like south georgia than it does like texas
What???

Anyways, I could post a picture of somewhere else in Houston that resembles Central Texas. You only showed one picture and that one picture only shows one aspect of Houston's landscape.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
There is no difference imo.

When people think Deep south; they assume it's filled with nothing but rednecks, poverty, crime, bad education systems, and more. However, that is far from the truth. Deep south is really just another way for saying Lower South.
actually there is a difference. the deep south is usually recognized as being the area where southern characteristics are most heavily concentrated. it's also sometimes synonymous with the term "cotton south", as opposed to the mid/upper south where cotton was not a large industry. houston was a part of the cotton south

Quote:
Anyways, the majority of Texas shares the same history as deep south, but it's hard to label Texas as deep south when it's location is in a more centralized part compared to the rest of the south. Texas is split between the southwest and the southeast.
well no one here is trying to claim that all of texas is the deep south

Quote:
What I don't get is why are people saying Houston is East Texas at heart. Historically; many cities west of 45 resembled (not in appearance, but culture and lifestyles) East Texas of today. The difference is places like Houston, Dallas, Austin, and others have become infested with transplants; diluting the southern culture. East Texas is the complete opposite of that. Once East Texas starts attracting more transplants and people; it'll slowly lose it's southern ways as well.
saying that houston is east texas at heart is us saying that the original culture of houston is that of east texas. no matter what you add to the urban fabric of the city, at the root of it all you still have east texas

you guys' only argument is the changes that have come to houston because of its large size. why don't you understand that it doesn't work that way? that's like saying that atlanta isn't really georgia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or