U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 08:25 PM

18,636 posts, read 27,069,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
saying that southern louisiana is different from the rest of the state is not the same thing as saying it's not a part of the state

you guys could've just settled for saying that the gulf coast is very different from east texas, but y'all are acting like it's completely disconnected from it
IMO, it is. The Gulf Coast of Texas stretches from the Houston-Galveston area South to Brownsville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 08:25 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,687,715 times
I'll just agree to disagree; I just don't see Houston as Deep south and part of East Texas. We were taught different in school.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I'll just agree to disagree; I just don't see Houston as Deep south and part of East Texas. We were taught different in school.
I think I will have to do the same as we will go back and forth. But I have my beliefs and others have theres.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:28 PM

5,098 posts, read 7,587,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I guess. If all that you're hanging on that Houston is East Texas at heart is all due to just culture, than have it but it is hanging by a thread.
well what defines an area better than culture?

Quote:
Well for one I never said that and two I really don't care what the rest of the Deep South looks like. As far as what makes up East Texans to most Texans, it's mostly referring to endless sea of tall pines. You can show areas if you like. It's still mostly an area of tall pines. I already know about the areas of Mississippi as well so need to post those. The majority of NORTH and East Houston is very lush and wooded. Not the same for South and West Houston especially the far Southwestern suburbs.
if your definition of east texas is synonymous with the piney woods, then fine, i can see where you're coming from. but understand that the piney woods are a geographic region. nothing more. nothing less.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
IMO, it is. The Gulf Coast of Texas stretches from the Houston-Galveston area South to Brownsville.
once again, geography not culture

Old 07-13-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
once again, geography not culture
I'll say this as a last point on this topic in this thread. Culturally, Houston-Galveston south towards Brownsville does have alot in common. More so than Houston and Tyler.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
i took texas history just like the rest of us here. what we were taught in 7th grade was that houston was a part of the gulf coastal geographic region. but NOTHING we were taught disputes houston as being culturally east texas

Old 07-13-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
I'll say this as a last point on this topic in this thread. Culturally, Houston-Galveston south towards Brownsville does have alot in common. More so than Houston and Tyler.
absolutely not. lol you are going to have to give some examples because you really have me confused with this one

and if someone brings up mexicans, i swear i'll scratch my eyes out

Old 07-13-2010, 08:52 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,687,715 times
Quote:
i took texas history just like the rest of us here. what we were taught in 7th grade was that houston was a part of the gulf coastal geographic region. but NOTHING we were taught disputes houston as being culturally east texas
When taught about the regions of Texas; Houston was never included in with East Texas. It was part of the Texas Coastal Blend.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:03 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,118,025 times
Quote:
saying that southern louisiana is different from the rest of the state is not the same thing as saying it's not a part of the state

you guys could've just settled for saying that the gulf coast is very different from east texas, but y'all are acting like it's completely disconnected from it
Then again isn't Southern Louisiana and the unique culture what most people associate with the state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or