U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 09:04 PM

5,098 posts, read 7,586,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
When taught about the regions of Texas; Houston was never included in with East Texas. It was part of the Texas Coastal Blend.
geographic. not cultural. in fact, cultural specific regions of texas can't even be found in textbooks (it's been many years since 7th grade, but i remember that much). and everything we were taught about the history and culture of houston tied it to the rest of east texas and the deep south. everything from the civil war, the cotton industry, jim crow, the african american community, etc.

History of Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMRDM

many of these historical aspects are unique to eastern and southeastern texas. not shared by the rest of the coastal bend and the rest of the state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 09:10 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,687,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
geographic. not cultural. in fact, cultural specific regions of texas can't even be found in textbooks (it's been many years since 7th grade, but i remember that much). and everything we were taught about the history and culture of houston tied it to the rest of east texas and the deep south. everything from the civil war, the cotton industry, jim crow, the african american community, etc.

History of Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1884 Houston Cotton Exchange Building - Houston, Texas - U.S. National Register of Historic Places on Waymarking.com
You do realize Central Texas and North Texas share that same history right???

Waco,TX was one of the top producers of cotton in the country; also, the Lynching of Jesse Washington was what motivated the NAACP to launch the Anti-Lynching Campaign.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
You do realize Central Texas and North Texas share that same history right???

Waco,TX was one of the top producers of cotton in the country; also, the Lynching of Jesse Washington was what motivated the NAACP to launch the Anti-Lynching Campaign.
i didn't say that other parts of the state didn't have share any of the similarities. i said many of them

Old 07-13-2010, 09:15 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,689,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
Then again isn't Southern Louisiana and the unique culture what most people associate with the state?
Yes. Not to interrupt this Texas debate, but some parts of La are light years away from southern La. Both geographically and culturally.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
i didn't say that other parts of the state didn't have share any of the similarities. i said many of them
Central/North Texas is just a much more progressive, diverse, important version of East Texas.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:17 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,230,776 times
I would argue that cotton exports in other parts of the state, only strengthens their ties to the rest of the south, rather than weakening Houston's...Ive always thought that cities in Central TX like Waco, Bryan/college station and Marlin had very palpable southern feels to them. They may not be considered the deep south, but they are southern feeling to me.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Central/North Texas is just a much more progressive, diverse, important version of East Texas.
except east texas is in the deep south. central/north texas isn't

Old 07-13-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I would argue that cotton exports in other parts of the state, only strengthens their ties to the rest of the south, rather than weakening Houston's...Ive alway
No one never argued that Houston wasn't southern though; it's definitely southern.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
except east texas is in the deep south. central/north texas isn't
The name Deep south as of today just seems more like a title than actually having an significance behind it.

Coming from Waco to Shreveport and Tyler was no culture shock for me at ALL. They reminded me a lot of home; just more trees. Parts of Mississippi reminded me of Waco too.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:27 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,119,597 times
Default Two cents worth...

I just logged on, and finished reading the multi-page discussion/debate involving lots of my friends concerning Houston and its relationship to East Texas and to the Deep South in general.

Interesting...to say the least. So like WBNOLA (still waiting on it, buddy! LOL), I gotta interject my own two cents worth!

Personally, I don't really think of Houston as "East Texas." Yes, it is located (very much so) in the eastern part of the state. But to me, what I designate as true East Texas (on an east-west axis) fades out somewhere between Huntsville (clearly a Deep South small city) and Houston. I think of Houston as more Gulf Coast or far southeast Texas than East Texas in that regard. If that makes sense (probably doesn't! LOL)

BUT...with all that said? I tend to side with Solytaire and Al Green that Houston is, in essence, a Deep South city, when it comes right down to it. Just like Atlanta is.

However, as Jluke said -- and this was a very important point and astute observation -- what distinguishes Atlanta from Houston is that the former is located in a state which is undeniably usually considered Deep South. Texas isn't. That fact makes a lot of difference in general perception...

Yet, if Atlanta and Houston could be magically transposed -- Houston to Georga and Atlanta to Texas -- would there be that much contrast...?

JimmyJohnWilson mentioned something earlier on either this or a similar thread (not up to going back and looking it up! LOL)...in that one isn't going to find the classic "Deep South" anymore -- overall -- in ANY major city in the South. I agree.

Still, as AlGreen and Solytaire say (as I understand it), history and roots and underlying culture count for quite a bit. Major tier city, world-class city, whatever, the bare essence of Houston is Deep South. Lower South. Cotton South. The deep-rooted white/black duality that is a trait of solid Southern history and culture. Demographics have changed radically, true. But there is a differerence is residing in and/or migrating to Houston, as opposed to being in and of Houston.

Shrink back the suburbs and downtown glitter and all to get off the beaten path into true Houston, and one easily finds a Deep South core.

Is this akin to saying "if pigs had wings they'd be eagles"? I don't know..is it?

Last edited by TexasReb; 07-13-2010 at 09:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or