U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 09:28 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,234,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Coming from Waco to Shreveport and Tyler was no culture shock for me at ALL. They reminded me a lot of home; just more trees. Parts of Mississippi reminded me of Waco too.
Actually, I can kinda relate to this...Coming from Tyler, and living in Marshall for much of my childhood, I thought Waco felt a lot like Tyler the first time I went...I guess because it is somewhat conservative as well and they are similar in size and demographics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 09:30 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,709,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I just logged on, and finished reading the multi-page discussion/debate involving lots of my friends concerning Houston and its relationship to East Texas and to the Deep South in general.

Interesting...to say the least. So like WBNOLA, I gotta interject my own two cent worth! LOL

Personally, I don't really think of Houston as "East Texas." Yes, it is located (very much so) in the eastern part of the state. But to me, what I designate as true East Texas (on an east-west axis) fades out somewhere between Huntsville (clearly a Deep South small city) and Houston. I think of Houston as more Gulf Coast or far southeast Texas than East Texas in that regard. If that makes sense (probably doesn't! LOL)

BUT...with all that said? I tend to side with Solytaire and Al Green that Houston is, in essence, a Deep South city, when it comes right down to it. Just like Atlanta is...however?

As Jluke said -- and this was a very important point and astute observation -- what distinguishes Atlanta from Houston is that the former is located in a state which is undeniably usually considered Deep South. Texas isn't. That fact makes a lot of difference in general perception...

Yet, if Atlanta and Houston could be magically transposed -- Houston to Georga and Atlanta to Texas -- would there be that much difference otherwise?

JimmyJohnWilson mentioned something earlier on either this or a similar thread (not up to going back and looking it up! LOL)...in that one isn't going to find the classic "Deep South" anymore -- overall -- in ANY major city in the South. I agree.

Still, as AlGreen and Solytaire say (as I understand it), history and roots and underlying culture count for quite a bit. Major teir city, world-class city, whatever, the bare essence of Houston is Deep South. Lower South. Cotton South. Demographics have changed radically, true. But there is a differerence is residing in and/or migrating to, Houston, and being in and of Houston.

Shrink back the suburbs and glitter and all to get off the beaten path into true Houston, and one easily finds a Deep South core.

Is this akin to saying "if pigs had wings they'd be eagles"? I don't know..is it?
I agree with this!

Great point.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Actually, I can kinda relate to this...Coming from Tyler, and living in Marshall for much of my childhood, I thought Waco felt a lot like Tyler the first time I went...I guess because it is somewhat conservative as well and they are similar in size and demographics.
Yeah, Central Texas outside of the major cities is just like East Texas without the trees.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:37 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,143,764 times
So jluke, was going from Waco to Houston a big adjustment versus say Dallas or Shreveport?

Old 07-13-2010, 09:40 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,234,082 times
Quote:
Yeah, Central Texas outside of the major cities is just like East Texas without the trees.

No argument there...I was actually a little surprised at how southern smaller central Texas towns feel.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
So jluke, was going from Waco to Houston a big adjustment versus say Dallas or Shreveport?
Dallas felt like a bigger Waco, but Houston did feel much different from Waco. I don't know if I would call it culture shock (culture shock for me was going to South Texas), but it was different.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:52 PM

5,098 posts, read 7,593,086 times
Quote:
I agree with this!

Great point.
just not when I was saying it?

Old 07-13-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
just not when I was saying it?
What he said was a little different from what you said.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:57 PM

5,098 posts, read 7,593,086 times
Quote:
What he said was a little different from what you said.
the only thing he said different was that he didn't consider houston part of east texas, everything else was essentially what i was trying to say. especially the part of his post that you bolded

Old 07-13-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
the only thing he said different was that he didn't consider houston part of east texas, everything else was essentially what i was trying to say. especially the part of his post that you bolded
No, what you kept saying was how Houston is essentially East Texas due to its history which is wrong considering other parts of Texas share the same history as East Texas.

The reason why I don't consider Houston deep south because I grew up never knowing or learned that it was deep south. I have a hard time relating Houston to the term deep south.

I didn't even know East Texas was part of the deep south until I came on to City Data. What I learned in Texas history; the deep south was Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina and to a lesser extent Florida and most of my history teachers referred to Texas as the southwest; a few called it the south. However, none called it deep south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or