U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 12:39 AM

5,990 posts, read 11,582,579 times

Advertisements

Revised. Got rid of PA, move the bronze further north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 12:42 AM

5,990 posts, read 11,582,579 times
Here's the Midwest map.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...ae6ad91d9b789b

Old 07-11-2010, 12:47 AM

871 posts, read 1,959,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Revised. Got rid of PA, move the bronze further north.
that looks really good in the upper south area.

another thing i might suggest is separate (using that blue line i showed earlier, or something close to it at least) and maybe splitting appalachia in two. eastern ky, eastern tn, no. ga, west nc, southwest va, and south wv could be the bottom half, and then upper wv, maryland, ohio, pa, ect. could be the top half.

although i will say that those areas of ohio indiana ect. are southern influenced but not dominated, but that is a matter of perspective i suppose

Old 07-11-2010, 12:56 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,136,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
This map is just about ideal imo..except that I would move the pink area over a smidgen to include Huntsville, TX and Houston. (Especially Huntsville). Huntsville could very, very easily be placed in Mississippi without the slightest hint of a difference being detectable between the two.

Also, I dont think I would include much, if any, of North Carolina in the Deep south. I think it is more akin to the piedmont south/south atlantic. And its northwestern part, the southern part of VA, and the far eastern end of TN should probably be in the same area called mountain south/appalachian south or something.
Definitely agreed about Huntsville, Solytaire!

Old 07-11-2010, 05:29 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,120,756 times
I got a couple of thoughts on the map. The yellow around Atlanta should likely have the same in Charlotte and increasingly the Raleigh area (Idea of name is Piedmont,New,or New Urban South), it also over time is likely to start expanding towards each other as well. Some similar region could also apply to similar city areas in Texas (Idea of name is New Texas). The area around DC likely doesn't extend as far South (for now) and a good argument for not even counting as Southern. (there is a concept I will explain later) The area around New Orleans could also extend East along the coast to either Mobile or Pensacola. (These areas are different from areas North of there due to culture and religion with more Catholics)

One area I might add is an Ozark region which is a unique cultural unit. Though you could use the same color as Southern Appalacia and refer to it as Upland South due to similarities in culture, demographics and the like. Also of note is the people of the Ozarks trace their ancestry to Appalacia as well. I would toy with a lot of that area and have an Ozarks, either the Deep South justs North along the Mississippi Embayment or a seperate region for Upper Delta and have Mid-South centered around the Tennessee River Valley (Though Nashville is on its way to becoming like Atlanta).

The hardest region to grasp is the South/Midwest boundary. I would toy with the idea of having it defined as a hybrid region where its not completely in either area. It would be defined as areas that have strong cultural and other similarties with either region where it could trend either way over time and is a seperate region because of the Mix. A similar thing would be in the Western Edge of the South as well.

It is interesting to note that the South seems to be the most in-flux region of the country. It is likely due to demographic changes along the Atlantic Coast states as well as in Texas.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:07 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,146,066 times
As far as the gulf region it is almost perfect. Best one I've seen yet.
I would move Houston into gulf south and extend Cajun country to the state line or a little bit of Texas. It also shouldn't touch Baton Rouge or Mississippi. Baton Rouge and north of I-12 is deep south.
The New Orleans region should stop just north of I-12 and not go into Mississippi at all.
I would also make up a region for South Florida just because.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
The area around New Orleans could also extend East along the coast to either Mobile or Pensacola. (These areas are different from areas North of there due to culture and religion with more Catholics)
The Gulf Coast cities east of New Orleans are nothing like New Orleans or anything west of it outside of Catholicsm. Gulf cities west of New Orleans are nothing like New Orleans and anything east of it.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 07-11-2010 at 09:32 AM..

Old 07-11-2010, 09:20 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,017,116 times
The South doesn't go that far North into MO. Everything above Cape Girardeau is more Midwestern: more Catholic & more German/French. You stop seeing Jesus billboards and start seeing anti-abortion billboards with the Virgin Mary on them. I've never even seen anti-abortion signs in the South. The accent becomes Midwestern very quickly. People are less openly friendly and more reserved. I've made all these observations on multiple trips from Memphis to St. Louis. It's not a huge cultural change, most people might not even notice it, but observant people will.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:44 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,120,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
The Gulf Coast cities east of New Orleans are nothing like New Orleans or anything west of it outside of Catholicsm. Gulf cities west of New Orleans are nothing like New Orleans and anything east of it.
But is the gulf coast cities East of New Orleans that similar to places North of it due to Catholicism? If this is the case maybe a small subculture should be listed here especially considering the importance of religion in defining Southern Culture. (This should be a big criteria in determining the Northern boundary of the South)

Old 07-11-2010, 04:50 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,231,482 times
Default Hmmmm.....not sure the point but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Like my Midwest thread, I did a map of the different cultural regions of the South. Here it is. I'm from the North, so if I got anything wrong, I'm sorry.

South boundaries - Google Maps

Whole thing gives me a headache, just like my wife but, I think I can boil it all down.....

True South? Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee and North Carolina. Defining the rest will ultimately lead you to areas too far and perhaps too diluted to note....

Kinda like calling Nevada Eastern West.....Montana, upper East West....

to catch the "flavor of the South" one should/could focus entirely on the aforementioned states and find all the humor a Blue Collar Comedy Tour could hope or pray for.

Cases in point....

Giving Directions:

North: Go down 2 blocks, turn right, about 1/4 mile up on your left..

South: Well, whatcha wanna do is go down bowt 2 blocks, look for tha little white house with the sign out front that says, beware of dog but, you don't really have to worry about that, their Shepard's been gone for years..not sure why they ain't never taken that down...anyway, whatcha wanna do......etc...etc...

Visiting Gettysburg National Park:

North: Oooooo, ahhhhh. cool place....nice scenery.....
South: Arrive in tears and dressed in black....

Lunch:
North: Fast and faster
South: Meat n' 2 or Meat n' 3 with the biggest decision being chicken or beef....

Commute:

North: Train, Car, Cab, Subway, Plane, Bus, Turnpikes, lotsa highways
South: Car and lots and lots of windy roads named; "Peachtree"

Dialect:

North: The alleged most correct way to annunciate the English language/vocabulary is near, or around, Columbus Ohio....
South: Yu shore have a funee accent there son....

Florida:

North: Great place to escape the winter
South: Well, it ain't the South but, it's a good place to escape the winter...

While Virginians will no doubt blow a gasket about being left out as will parts of Kentucky, Arkansas should just be quiet as it's only damp, had a goofy President with an evil wife, and a gawdy vacation destination, Texas is unique and all by itself, to it's credit, Illinois and Indiana??? Are you kidding???

Hope this helps....

Old 07-11-2010, 04:57 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,136,223 times
Saw the revisions and GREAT map all in all. And I really like the original approach with the "pop-ups".

Again, the only real quibble is that -- IMHO -- the "northern South" extends too far north into Indiana and Illinois..and to a lesser extent, Missouri.

I have to side with the general lines JJW drew out concerning the upper limits of where Southern culture/influence is the dominating factor. I appreciate and understand what you say as being from the upper Midwest, you might naturally tend to see those areas differently. But if you are creating this map not just as a personal perspective but, rather, one intended to be more objective (at least so far as things as regional/sub regional lines can ever be), then I really would respectfully suggest you consider pulling the "northern South" boundaries much further south. Or at least re-word the pop-up which states Southern culture is the norm, with some Midwest traits. If anything, the opposite is true in most of the areas you outline.

Also, the "western South" line extends just a bit too far west into New Mexico. Not too terribly much, but it should still be brought a little back to the east. With that said though, it is commendable you recognized that a slice of eastern New Mexico has some strong Southern influences (due to Texas settlers, which was the furthest western extent of massive Southern migration).

Anyway, to say once more, very good job overall!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or