U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 12:35 PM

774 posts, read 842,180 times

Advertisements

No way is Fredericksburg, VA deep south! I'd extend that "piedmont south" right upward to where that "Atlantic South" meets, with the line between "Atlantic and Piedmont" just above Richmond (where I'd move Atlantic South down to join). Also, include inner Southeast VA and NC east of 95 and Norteast of 40 as "Outer Banks", as it is coastal plain and is much more connected to outer banks (commonly called "inner banks" in this region), but is more "Tobacco south" than "Cotton South" and isn't really deep south.

Plus the "Atlantic South" should extended down to include the Hampton Roads (Norfolk) area; it has the same Chesapeake Bay culture that Baltimore does (in fact there are some Busch Gardens Williamsburg commercials even stating "Baltimore, this is your place to play!"); just with less diversity and less wealth. In no way is VA deep south at all as is most of NC. Also, I see how the "Outer Banks" stops in Northern Ocean City, MD, about 3 miles from the Delaware border! That just doesn't make sense!

Plus add in a "central and southern peninsular florida" region, with a description of "Dominated by transplants from the Northeast and Midwest", little in the way of southern culture, few southern accents, moderate to liberal politics. High hispanic populations and retirees.

Last edited by Borntoolate85; 07-15-2010 at 01:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 01:06 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,730,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
The relgion map is a good map to see how close the border of the South is to St. Louis. It tends to follow the line where either Catholics or Baptists are the largest group. The Catholic predominant counties are Midwestern, although there are Southern elements present unlike places further North. It is more in common to places along I-70 which are all very similar to each other in a sense. (or at least different from the Great Lakes)
Jefferson County, Sainte Genevieve County and Perry County really should not be on the map as Southern.
Having grown up in Ste Gen county, and knowing how overwhelmingly Catholic that county is, and Perry, for that matter, its really Midwestern.
The people that live there do not identify themselves in any way with the South.
Good post, Imperialmog.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:12 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,569,024 times
If I do a section for the rest of Florida, I'm including it in the Midwest or Northeast, or just giving it its own category. Those parts of Florida are NOT part of the South.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:14 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,730,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
If I do a section for the rest of Florida, I'm including it in the Midwest or Northeast, or just giving it its own category. Those parts of Florida are NOT part of the South.
You'd be surprised.
I currently live in an interior area of Central Florida, once one gets away from the coasts, and suburbia and retirementville, it can be VERY Southern.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:18 PM

6 posts, read 17,238 times
People are very inclusive with what they consider "The South". I think you did a good job, but being from Alabama I can tell you most real Southerners don't consider some of those areas "The South." Most of us consider the southeast region below Tennessee but including VA and WV. I think people need to realize that a place having southern ideals and speaking with a southern accent can be found anywhere in this country. These ideals are things learned and taught they are not genetic and can be found anywhere even the accent. The accent a lot of the time comes from living in a rural area in my opinion.

I personally do not consider Texas part of the South, and some of those areas on the map are a little bit too North. But what is with everyone wanting to say they're from the South? Does it give some sense of inclusion or something? I hate when I hear people say they from the South and I ask them where and they say Colorado.

But this is just my opinion, and I'm being more exclusive and considering what most of you have said is the Deep South.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:26 PM

I don't think there are people with Southern accents and Southern ideals in Minnesota, unless they just moved up here from a Southern state. Rural Minnesotans sound nothing like Southerners. At all.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:34 PM

13,222 posts, read 17,963,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Like my Midwest thread, I did a map of the different cultural regions of the South. Here it is. I'm from the North, so if I got anything wrong, I'm sorry.

South boundaries - Google Maps
There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:42 PM

Then what region do those areas fit with? Northeast? Midwest? Not really. Those ares fit with the South more than any other region.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:47 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,710,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern. There is no part of Pennsylvania or the northern third of West Virginia that is even remotely Southern.
I think I got it.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:06 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,683,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
So exactly what are you trying to say??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or