U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-26-2010, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,667,906 times
Reputation: 7280

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotextist View Post
I thought so. That's because it's more than words; there's history, culture, and geography to take into account. It lools like you got some great explanations in that thread. I don't know why you're still debating this. Do you consider Houston a part of East Texas? But whatever. Believe what you want. You will anyway.
I co-sign with this. I don't care to argue about it anymore. It's a annoying topic and it's always BS. It gets old and it's dead to me. We all are entitled to our own opinions and mines is that; I don't consider Texas southern; Parts are southern, but parts are not. I wasn't taught or raised knowing or hearing that Houston or Texas was deep south. I simply call it Texas. Disagree with that all you want; but it is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-26-2010, 11:25 AM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,265,202 times
Reputation: 2781
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotextist View Post
Not embarrassment, accuracy. Houston, and Texas for that matter, with the exception of East Texas, is not part of the Deep South. You may have missed the part where I said I grew up deep in the heart of East Texas. Although I disagree in general that any part of Texas is truly Deep South because it is too diluted with "Texanness," I will not argue with anyone who considers East Texas the Deep South. I will argue mightily against Houston being included in that classification, though.

Atlanta has nothing to do with it. It is solidly in the South, surrounded by the South. Texas is not. It's a vast border state bigger than France with many different cultural influences and varied terrain depending on what part of the state you're in.
Atlanta has very much to do with it...because it meets the same criteria you used to argue that Houston isn't part of the "deep south" (again, I hate that designation). So by the reasoning you used to show that Houston isn't southern, then Atlanta isn't either.

I don't agree...I believe that they are both solidly southern, but that's because I understand that to be southern doesn't mean that all are exactly alike. There are many variations of southern culture, and that is what makes it such a great and interesting place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2010, 11:26 AM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,265,202 times
Reputation: 2781
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
texas is not one monolithic region. just because cities like dallas, austin, and san antonio aren't the deep south doesn't mean houston isn't. houston has always been considered more stereotypically southern than these other cities. and so what houston isn't "surrounded" by "the south" for miles and miles? the deep south has to start somewhere, and it starts in eastern texas. including houston.

you say atlanta has nothing to do with it, but fact of the matter is, the same reasons you cite for houston not being the deep south apply to atlanta as well. having a lot of outside influences. you can even go to the atlanta forum right now and see plenty threads talking about how atlanta isn't really the south. so if someone wants to say that houston is no longer the deep south, that's fine with me, but they have to say the same thing about atlanta as well

and like i said before, everything about houston's history from the civil war to the 1900s points to it being the deep south. even galveston used to be largest exporter of cotton in the nation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2010, 12:01 PM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 7,582,059 times
Reputation: 1934
people can disagree with me as much as they like. fact of the matter is, those who do disagree have yet to provide any credible evidence or facts that supports their claim that texas isn't the south/houston isn't the deep south. while i and countless other posters have shown numerous sources that prove texas IS the south (in several threads).

so go ahead and disagree, but until you show me something to back up your claim, i have no choice but to not take your argument seriously

any person can easily go into some of the poorer areas of houston (especially on the northside) and see that most of the residents still follow an east texan/deep south way of life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2010, 12:30 PM
 
Location: The land of sugar... previously Houston and Austin
5,429 posts, read 13,172,633 times
Reputation: 3642
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotextist View Post
Although I disagree in general that any part of Texas is truly Deep South because it is too diluted with "Texanness," I will not argue with anyone who considers East Texas the Deep South. I will argue mightily against Houston being included in that classification, though.

Atlanta has nothing to do with it. It is solidly in the South, surrounded by the South. Texas is not. It's a vast border state bigger than France with many different cultural influences and varied terrain depending on what part of the state you're in.
^ Bingo, I think you've got it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
people can disagree with me as much as they like. fact of the matter is, those who do disagree have yet to provide any credible evidence or facts that supports their claim that texas isn't the south/houston isn't the deep south.
Sure there has. I can remember several maps being posted from other sources.
If you don't even live in Houston, why all the interest? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2010, 01:13 PM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 7,582,059 times
Reputation: 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
^ Bingo, I think you've got it.




Sure there has. I can remember several maps being posted from other sources.
If you don't even live in Houston, why all the interest? Just curious.
yes, because one would need to be a resident of houston to take interest in it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2010, 01:53 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,108,570 times
Reputation: 5741
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I co-sign with this. I don't care to argue about it anymore. It's a annoying topic and it's always BS. It gets old and it's dead to me. We all are entitled to our own opinions and mines is that; I don't consider Texas southern; Parts are southern, but parts are not. I wasn't taught or raised knowing or hearing that Houston or Texas was deep south. I simply call it Texas. Disagree with that all you want; but it is what it is.
I hope it goes without saying Jluke that I respect your opinions and consider you a friend. But with all that due respect, I have to add that sometimes your posts and points contradict one another. Now, please don't take that as being condecending. Not at all. It is just intended to ask for clarification.

What I mean is, some of your writings seem to indicate you believe Texas is a Southern state. Others, like the above, say it is not.

Let me hasten to add you are entitled to your opinion either way, and you always make your case in an intelligent, civil, and articulate manner.

So what I guess I am asking is, when it comes right down to brass tacks, would you place Texas -- as a whole -- in the South? Or, would you group is with the desert SW of New Mexico and Arizona. Or the West of the Mountain West and interior SW? Or the Plains Midwest?

For sure, I know there are parts of Texas which could fit into other regions. My position (as if it has not been repeated only a million and one times! LOL), is that when regionalized, Texas is essentially a Southern state. Not a typical Southern state (if such a critter exists, anyway), but culturally and historically bonded with the American South in a way which makes it very different from any association with the Midwest, Southwest, and Far West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2010, 05:36 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,637 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Reputation: 9577
I do disagree with Texas not being a Southern state. Essentially it is a Southern state. However, people want to ignore the changing demographics that is happening in Texas. I do agree with ole houstoner, AK123, and jluke. I still stand by Houston not being a Deep South city nor a city in East Texas that we know as.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2010, 05:52 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,667,906 times
Reputation: 7280
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I hope it goes without saying Jluke that I respect your opinions and consider you a friend. But with all that due respect, I have to add that sometimes your posts and points contradict one another. Now, please don't take that as being condecending. Not at all. It is just intended to ask for clarification.

What I mean is, some of your writings seem to indicate you believe Texas is a Southern state. Others, like the above, say it is not.

Let me hasten to add you are entitled to your opinion either way, and you always make your case in an intelligent, civil, and articulate manner.

So what I guess I am asking is, when it comes right down to brass tacks, would you place Texas -- as a whole -- in the South? Or, would you group is with the desert SW of New Mexico and Arizona. Or the West of the Mountain West and interior SW? Or the Plains Midwest?

For sure, I know there are parts of Texas which could fit into other regions. My position (as if it has not been repeated only a million and one times! LOL), is that when regionalized, Texas is essentially a Southern state. Not a typical Southern state (if such a critter exists, anyway), but culturally and historically bonded with the American South in a way which makes it very different from any association with the Midwest, Southwest, and Far West.
I've never stated that Texas as a whole is southern. When I mention I live in the south or speak on living or experiences growing up in the south; I'm speaking due to the fact that the part I live in is the southern portion. You've never heard me say Texas as a whole is southern though.

I understand my posts do seem to confuse people because I will mention about Texas being southern or living in the south. However, I'm speaking on the area that I grew up in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2010, 01:18 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,265,202 times
Reputation: 2781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I do disagree with Texas not being a Southern state. Essentially it is a Southern state. However, people want to ignore the changing demographics that is happening in Texas. I do agree with ole houstoner, AK123, and jluke. I still stand by Houston not being a Deep South city nor a city in East Texas that we know as.
Demographics have changed in many U.S. cities throughout history, yet those areas didn't suddenly decide that they shouldn't be included in their geographical region. The South seems to be the only U.S. region that experiences this exodus...when a city or state is obviously not the way it once was, then it's suddenly not southern. It's crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top