U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 07:57 PM

400 posts, read 868,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Thick southern drawls, in Bloomington? Uhhh.....no. I have lived in the south. Places like Bloomington, Evansville, Cincinnati; they are not southern.
I have to agree with this. I have never, ever considered Bloomington, Indiana to be a Southern city. Bloomington is a liberal, Midwestern college town. Southern Indiana does have strong "Southern" influences, but it still is Midwestern, not Southern.

It is one thing to say that an area has southern influences. It is a completely different thing to say that an area is IN THE SOUTH. Southern Indiana, southern Ohio, and southern Illinois are NOT in the South. They are in the Midwest, but have strong Southern influences.

Last edited by Blue Earth; 07-11-2010 at 08:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 08:09 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,116,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

The northern most extension of Southern culture. Definite Southern traits in the southern parts, becoming more Midwestern the further north one goes.
A big issue with this is that line would extend further North and include the cities close to the current line shown. I am thinking of a shaded region would be stated as "Observable Southern cultrual traits present, becoming more prevelant to dominant further South" with a simlar line for the Western edge. It would also note that it is culturally mixed and has and will in the future change over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Interesting point. If you look at a religion map, you'll see a distinct predominately-Baptist line all the way north to IA's southernmost 2 tiers of counties. Not sure I'd sonsider Southern IA or Northern MO Southern, tho.
This would further my idea of an area of "Observable Southern cultural traits present" idea since it would cover these areas since predominantly-Baptist areas would automatically be this. On this trait zone I would include the nearby cities not already included. (Kansas City, St. Louis, Cincinatti, and possibly Columbus) Include rural areas to around I-72 in Illinois and Indiana and all of Missouri (possibly the extreme South of Iowa) and parts of Kansas especially around Wichita and bits of New Mexico. The idea is areas of at least 10% or so Southern cultural aspects. I would also include an exclave area of Colorado Springs and possbily the area around Bakersfield, California. A similar idea would also apply for the Midwest map showing places with observable Midwestern cultural traits which would dive as far South as Arkansas, Kentucky, and possibly Tennessee.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:14 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,562,228 times
Here's the new version. Added a "Piedmont" region and extended the Deep South into Missouri and Illinois.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...6ec65169e674dd

Old 07-11-2010, 09:42 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,227,653 times
that looks like a map of the american southwest...

??

Old 07-11-2010, 10:36 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,108,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Here's the new version. Added a "Piedmont" region and extended the Deep South into Missouri and Illinois.

West boundaries - Google Maps
Like Solytaire said, the map you linked goes to the West, not the South.

The Deep South into Missouri and Illinois??? Tell me you are pulling our legs! LOL

Seriously, please don't self-destruct with such a stretch as that. You have done such a good job so far...

Old 07-11-2010, 11:09 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,704,410 times
Quote:
Oh Lord help us, another one of these damn Deep South purists!

But come to think of it, you ain't so bad as some I know (me having ancestral roots in Mississippi and Alabama, a few are distant kin! LOL), who confine it even further to exclude the Carolinas and Tennessee!

But I have to say I chuckled a little -- although I had seen variations on it before -- over the North/South differences.

>>>>>
Oh Lord help us, another one of these damn Deep South purists!
<<<<<

Yep, ain't no gettin' rid of 'em, Friend! And why would we want to anyway?....It always makes for some fun dialogue.

Although we've been down this road countless times before, I'll go ahead and list the states that I believe to possess overt Southern culture throughout the majority of the whole state (I've been to every one except Bama):

Alabama
Mississippi
Georgia
South Carolina
Louisiana
Tennessee
North Carolina
Arkansas
Texas
Oklahoma
Kentucky
*Florida (parts of the panhandle should be considered part of the Deep South, while much of Orlando and below are Yankee Territory!)
*Virginia (about 50/50 or less? split culturally, way too many Northern transplants for the homebase of the Confederacy)
*West Virgina (still not too many Northern transplants and 50/50 or less? split culturally)

Old 07-11-2010, 11:59 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,562,228 times
South boundaries - Google Maps

Old 07-12-2010, 01:58 AM

2,248 posts, read 6,205,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Thick southern drawls, in Bloomington? Uhhh.....no. I have lived in the south. Places like Bloomington, Evansville, Cincinnati; they are not southern. They may seem southern to you, but you are an outsider from Minnesota. You are not exactly qualified to talk about how southern a place is. I have lived it. You have not. I will agree, Evansville is a lot more southern than anything else in Indiana; but it does not approach the southerness of neighboring Henderson, KY. Not even close. There is a pretty obvious difference also between New Albany and Louisville.
Exactly. Cincinnati is not "southern" by any stretch of the imagination, and never has been. No matter how you slice it, it just isn't.

Also, I've been to Evansville, and while tucked snugly in the far southwest pocket of the state, it is also not Southern and they will point that out to you very quickly. The Ohio River is a huge influence in terms regional affiliation and mindset, and the difference often literally comes down to which side of the river you're on.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:13 AM

8,190 posts, read 12,322,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Also, I dont think I would include much, if any, of North Carolina in the Deep south. I think it is more akin to the piedmont south/south atlantic.
I can see a lot of eastern NC being included in the "deep South" category.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:00 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,116,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Exactly. Cincinnati is not "southern" by any stretch of the imagination, and never has been. No matter how you slice it, it just isn't.

Also, I've been to Evansville, and while tucked snugly in the far southwest pocket of the state, it is also not Southern and they will point that out to you very quickly. The Ohio River is a huge influence in terms regional affiliation and mindset, and the difference often literally comes down to which side of the river you're on.
I have noticed that in these regions people will deny the existance of any Southern cultural similarities due to the regions perception even though there are some aspcets painfully obvious. They also will gloss over any significant differences with most of the Midwest as well.

St. Louis is a notorious example of this attitude of people absolutely thinking its 100% Midwest but certain aspects are very much not. Part of it from my experience is to whitewash racial history to deny many of the aspects existed. For example St. Louis is the only large industrial city and Missouri the only thought of as Midwest state had slavery in its past and had the Jim Crow laws alogn with segregated schools up to Brown vs. Board of Education (Intersting that was a case from Kansas which might of had similar things) Also it was unlike all other Midwest states prohibited interracial marriage up to Virginia vs. Loving. I just think it is partially a consious effort to deemphisize any similarities to the South and gloss over differences with the Midwest. (Though it is becoming a place that is more different from both and turning into a cultural isolate)

Quote:
Like Solytaire said, the map you linked goes to the West, not the South.

The Deep South into Missouri and Illinois??? Tell me you are pulling our legs! LOL

Seriously, please don't self-destruct with such a stretch as that. You have done such a good job so far...
The Southeast corner of Missouri is a bit odd for anyone who has been there. It has a look and feel quite similarly to places in Mississippi in large part due to its agricultural makeup which caused a lot of other factors. It is too different from places North, West, and East of it and is more in common with places South along the River. Though it could be split into a seperate region with a line around Memphis. I do think Upper South should be split in two due to differences in the area shown West and East of the river.

I am thinking as well another idea is in these groups show some sort of relationship cultures which show what is the closest group to one. Some ideas is Piedmont-DC, the two Atlantic coast groups, Southern Appalacia-(Ozark), and the Northernmost South and Lowermost Midwest.

Last edited by imperialmog; 07-12-2010 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: added info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or