U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2010, 07:48 PM

871 posts, read 1,960,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
surely, you dont think that posting links or maps (some of which actually DO depict Houston in the Deep south), means that any conclusions can be extracted from them...I could very easily post a map right now, that depicts Houston as a clearly demarcated deep south city..but the difference between us is that I know that link wars are only circular, regarding geographic regions.
yes you very well could. funny thing is that 2 out of the 3 maps he posted were created by me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 08:33 PM

5,429 posts, read 13,195,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
yes you very well could. funny thing is that 2 out of the 3 maps he posted were created by me.
Well good for you. Neither of which, by the way, appeared to show Houston in the deep south; the dividing line looked to be to the northeast of town. Seems about right.

As far as "easily" finding maps that show otherwise... I didn't find that to be the case; either Texas was excluded, or all/most of Texas was included, or the far eastern portion was included (not Houston). Of course I'm only going to search through so many pages of google before I get tired of looking... seems to prove enough point.

Deep South States Map

South Central States Map

Deep South Map, 1983 by National Geographic

Old 07-12-2010, 08:37 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,238,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
And very well so at that, for the most part.

and of course the third map, not of your creation, was a relatively conflated accounting of dialects that dont really delineate the deep south from any other region of the south, from what I read. Maybe I read that map wrong though.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:40 PM

whats say we give our old handy dandy U.s. govt the old college try, shall we?
The Deep South

Unfortunately it also includes the NC, VA area...Ah well, gotta take the good with the bad I guess.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:42 PM

5,417 posts, read 7,729,198 times
Quote:
This is how I would describe my opinion on the matter of Deep south territory. As it happens, I do think that north Florida and all of Louisiana are the deep south...Urban vs. Rural areas will always be a dilemma..but, in general I do think that all of Louisiana and most of Florida are the deep south.

Good synopsis though...even though southern Louisiana is different than the stereotypical deep south, it has the same issues, economy, and even some of the same history as other areas of the deep south (outside of urban areas).

Personally, I just recognize Atlanta, Houston, New Orleans as what they are - Unique urban areas in a deep south region...to me, that doesnt exclude them from the region, but just acknowledges that they do have peculiarities that distinguish them from the rural deep south areas that they sit within.
>>>>>
Personally, I just recognize Atlanta, Houston, New Orleans as what they are - Unique urban areas in a deep south region...to me, that doesnt exclude them from the region, but just acknowledges that they do have peculiarities that distinguish them from the rural deep south areas that they sit within
<<<<<

Good insights here.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
whats say we give our old handy dandy U.s. govt the old college try, shall we?
The Deep South
And like I said... appears to have at least half of Texas included if you widen the shot. Including Austin and Dallas. It does not single out Houston from the rest of Texas. Which was my original point to the OP's map after he altered it from a bad suggestion.
But, be my guest to go through 50 pages of google and "cherry-pick" if you'd like.

And by the way... interesting how OP does the maps and then disappears from the thread...

Old 07-12-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
And like I said... appears to have at least half of Texas included if you widen the shot. Including Austin and Dallas. It does not single out Houston from the rest of Texas. Which was my original point to the OP's map after he altered it from a bad suggestion.
But, be my guest to go through 50 pages of google and "cherry-pick" if you'd like.

And by the way... interesting how OP does the maps and then disappears from the thread...
Ahh yes...alas, there you have it folx!...excuses for why the official U.s. govt. definition of the deep south is not acceptable and qualifies as "cherry picking" through google...just as I predicted...let the circular link war begin....lol..no but really, I knew that would be what it comes down to...you wouldnt accept my "evidence" and I dont accept yours because we use different criteria..which is fine.

anyway, its no big deal either way to me...I just happen to think Houston is in the Deep south. Just a modest difference of opinions is all...if he makes a mistake on the map, he makes a mistake..life goes on...that doesnt mean Im going to spazz out and fly a plane into the state capital...I trust that he's intelligent enough to alter it based on his research and the accounts of others...Hell, just as I suggested that he include Houston and Huntsville, he may see your posts and revise it to reflect your opinion...only time will tell

Old 07-12-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Ahh yes...alas, there you have it folx!...excuses for why official U.s. govt. definition of the deep south is not acceptable
Um, never said it wasn't acceptable. What I said is that it was one of the maps that includes all/most of Texas. It doesn't single Houston out from the rest of the state. Just a few posts up ago, forget already?
Quote:
As far as "easily" finding maps that show otherwise... I didn't find that to be the case; either Texas was excluded, or all/most of Texas was included...

I said if you want to go through 50 pages of google to find a map that fits like the OP's... be my guest. Because it hasn't yet been found.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Um, never said it wasn't acceptable. What I said is that it was one of the maps that includes all/most of Texas. It doesn't single Houston out from the rest of the state. Just a few posts up ago, forget already?
What does singling it out from the rest of the state have to do with anything?..the govt. map obviously excludes the entire rest of the state from the region altogether.

Quote:
I said if you want to go through 50 pages of google to find a map that fits like the OP's... be my guest. Because it hasn't yet been found.
Why would I do that?

Old 07-12-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
What does singling it out from the rest of the state have to do with anything?..the govt. map obviously excludes the entire rest of the state from the region altogether.
No, it appears to me that if you were to zoom out on the map, much of the rest of Texas would be included in the shaded portion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or