Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 11:19 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times

Advertisements

Like my Midwest thread, I did a map of the different cultural regions of the South. Here it is. I'm from the North, so if I got anything wrong, I'm sorry.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...4a4824bd6608ea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 11:49 PM

871 posts, read 2,248,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Like my Midwest thread, I did a map of the different cultural regions of the South. Here it is. I'm from the North, so if I got anything wrong, I'm sorry.

South boundaries - Google Maps
that is very good, but needs a few changes. first off, scrap the name "mid-south" and call what youve got as the mid south "upper south" and move its boundary up to the ohio river in all areas except by cincinatti (but leaving far southern illinois as part of it. i really cant think of any reason to justify splitting western kentucky in half top to bottom(as its a solid cultural entity), and definitely not with putting them with middle indiana or illinois. and really don like the bluegrass region of central ky being group with all of that indiana and illinois area at all. then change "upper south" to some other name (perhaps remove it from the map)
check out this dialect map, its pretty heavily sampled in the areas im talking about. a lot of times dialect can be quite an indicator of where to draw boundaries

also move southern appalachia down. PA is a nothern brand of appalachia

otherwise its one of the best ive seen. ive been in the process of making one like this for a while and this is very similar to what ive done

Last edited by JimmyJohnWilson; 07-11-2010 at 12:07 AM..

Old 07-10-2010, 11:58 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,293 times
The Deep South/ Appalachian split at my hometown of Rome, Ga is spot on. Nice work.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:07 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,975,456 times
Quote:
This map is just about ideal imo..except that I would move the pink area over a smidgen to include Huntsville, TX and Houston. (Especially Huntsville). Huntsville could very, very easily be placed in Mississippi without the slightest hint of a difference being detectable between the two.

Also, I dont think I would include much, if any, of North Carolina in the Deep south. I think it is more akin to the piedmont south/south atlantic. And its northwestern part, the southern part of VA, and the far eastern end of TN should probably be in the same area called mountain south/appalachian south or something.

Last edited by solytaire; 07-11-2010 at 12:21 AM..

Old 07-11-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
that is very good, but needs a few changes. first off, scrap the name "mid-south" and call what youve got as the mid south "upper south" and move its boundary up to the ohio river in all areas except by cincinatti (but leaving far southern illinois as part of it. i really cant think of any reason to justify splitting western kentucky in half top to bottom(as its a solid cultural entity), and definitely not with putting them with middle indiana or illinois. and really don like the bluegrass region of central ky being group with all of that indiana and illinois area at all. then change "upper south" to some other name (perhaps remove it from the map)
check out this dialect map, its pretty heavily sampled in the areas im talking about. a lot of times dialect can be quite an indicator of where to draw boundaries

also move southern appalachia down. PA is a nothern brand of appalachia

otherwise its one of the best ive seen. ive been in the process of making one like this for a while and this is very similar to what ive done
I made the changes to the Upper South/Mid-South. The Blue is now the "Northern South." I couldn't justify changing Appalachia - those areas are still very southern.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:10 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:

South boundaries - Google Maps
Just going by a general "once-over" for the time being, and reading the "pop-ups", I think you did a pretty damn good job.

Two things I would quibble about is that I think you pushed the boundaries of Southern culture wayyyy too far into Indiana and Illinois, and to a lesser extent, Missouri.

Just read JJW's comment. Yes, Upper South would be right for what you now have labeled "Mid-South." What is designated as Upper South is better described as, well, I really don't know what. LOL

Seriously, those areas have some definite Southern traits (especially far southern IL and IN), so maybe...uhhh..."Border South"? (but even then, I would lower the boundaries south quite a bit out of the aforementioned states).

Also, I think it goes just a bit too far into New Mexico...

But let me say once again, this was a dad-gum good piece of work all in all!

Last edited by TexasReb; 07-11-2010 at 12:58 AM..

Old 07-11-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
I made the changes to the Upper South/Mid-South. The Blue is now the "Northern South." I couldn't justify changing Appalachia - those areas are still very southern.
yea, the bluegrass region really shouldnt be with that whole "northern south" area, which is really more of a midwest. and now i think youve brought that line too far up in southern illinois. maybe take a look at the red line i drew on that last one. people in your "northern south" really dont have southern accents, wheras people in the bluegrass region talk like this
gatewood galbraith of carlisle kentucky. you just wont find dialect like this south of indianapplois

YouTube - louisville And Kentucky Young Dems

youve now split the bluegrass region in half. please dont do that, it is a sold entity, and belongs with the upper south

Old 07-11-2010, 12:24 AM

307 posts, read 802,898 times
JimmyJohn's map is about perfect, at least in my area. The Southern culture drops off in Southeast Missouri as you head into the hills before you reach Cape Girardeau on I-55. Basically when you leave cotton country.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:31 AM

JJW, it may seem Midwestern to you, being from the lower South, but to me (from the Midwest) it seems very Southern. I've spent a lot of time in Northern Kentucky, Southern Indiana and Southern Ohio, and those areas are nothing like the Midwest. I made a Midwest map earlier, and the blue ends right where the Lower Midwest starts. If anything, I would move the blue further north to include Indianapolis and Cincinnati.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:34 AM

Quote:
JJW, it may seem Midwestern to you, being from the lower South, but to me (from the Midwest) it seems very Southern. I've spent a lot of time in Northern Kentucky, Southern Indiana and Southern Ohio, and those areas are nothing like the Midwest. I made a Midwest map earlier, and the blue ends right where the Lower Midwest starts. If anything, I would move the blue further north to include Indianapolis and Cincinnati.
well if you want to call that area southerm go ahead. but just realize that the areas of kentucky im talking about have much more in common with the rest of their state than with areas around indianapolis.

the idea of towns like frankfort, lawrenceburg, cynthiana, paris being in a different cultural region from richmond and the rest of the bluegrass region makes no sense to me. lexington is the heart of this region. and i KNOW that these areas belong way more with the rest of kentucky than they do with bloomington indiana and that whole area

so if you want to call what i think of as the lower midwest the northern south, then go ahead, but group the bluegrass region of kentucky with the rest of the state. id suggest splitting the two areas with that line i posted earlier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.