Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 02:53 PM

69 posts, read 199,976 times

Advertisements

I was wondering, which of the biggest cities in US have the best traffic flow (during rush hour) so you don't hate your life for having to drive to work every day?

Washington DC, Baltimore, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Atlanta, Boston, San Jose, Seattle, Philadelphia, Richmond, Chicago

Please discuss the cities listed above. How long does it take to get to work in the morning by car considering where you live? I would appreciate if you would tell us your location and how far is it from downtown.

EDIT: Added Chicago.

Last edited by blowitout; 08-03-2010 at 03:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 03:08 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times
Well I live in the middle of Center City (Rittenhouse Square) Philadelphia. My commute consists of 5 typical things:

1 - Walk to my office in my house (1-2 days a week) 3 minutes, wait for coffee to finish
2 - Drive to office in burbs (14 miles and 55 minutes, 90 minutes on Fridays for return, avoid like the plague) 1 Day per week
3 - Drive to North Jersey, just outside NYC - about 70 miles and 90 minutes give or take (~1-2 days a week)
4 - to Airport for a flight to Boston or Chicago (and some others but those most frequently) - 6 miles and 15 minute cab ride (~4 times a month)
5 - 5 minute walk and 68 minute Acela (Amtrak) trip to Manhattan (~4 times a month)

Old 08-03-2010, 03:17 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,031,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowitout View Post
I was wondering, which of the biggest cities in US have the best traffic flow (during rush hour) so you don't hate your life for having to drive to work every day?

Washington DC, Baltimore, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Atlanta, Boston, San Jose, Seattle, Philadelphia, Richmond

Please discuss the cities listed above. How long does it take to get to work in the morning by car considering where you live? I would appreciate if you would tell us your location and how far is it from downtown.
Get a sandwich to go. You will want it when you sit there in traffic. I work in downtown Tuesdays/Wednesdays/Thursdays. It's not funny at all.

However, I have started using alternative routes, works out great actually. I feel bad for those taking commercialized roads like 59, 2 minutes glancing at a map and looking for another route would do them some good if they wanted to avoid that jam.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:36 PM

69 posts, read 199,976 times
Thanks, I didn't add NYC and LA because I know they're absolutely the worst traffic-wise. I was just wondering if there's any city (listed above) today left with <1h of one way commute from suburbs to downtown.

kidphilly, 90min for 70miles is pretty good isn't it?
Awesome Danny, what highways/freeways/expressway are you talking about and what distance?

Old 08-03-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I didn't add NYC and LA because I know they're absolutely the worst traffic-wise. I was just wondering if there's any city (listed above) today left with <1h of one way commute from suburbs to downtown.

Awesome Danny, what highways/freeways/expressway are you talking about and what distance?
Sugar Land (suburb) to Downtown Houston. The distance is like 25.8 miles from my house to downtown on 1301 McKinney Street where I work.

The route anyone else would take is State Highway 6 from Sugar Land to US Highway 59, in which there is traffic crunch and lights on Highway 6 to the max in the morning. HWY 59 is normally fast paced, you see maniacs going 85 MPH in the morning with Coffee in their hands... anyways there is quite a bit of traffic on 59 when you reach the exit for Loop 610. Get ready for a 20 minute wait.

After that you get near the Louisiana street exit for downtown and there is another 15 minute delay where 59 diverges towards US 90 to Texas Medical Center.

The faster way would be to Take State Highway 6 South instead of North and take Fort Bend County Toll Road, no you wont have to pay toll because you'll be getting on US 90 before the toll areas appear. Take US 90/Main Street through Texas Medical Center and then Main Street will take you straight to downtown. It's got a bit of traffic in Texas Medical Center but nothing like the exit for Loop 610.

Other freeways that are a total mess in rush hour are I-10 near Memorial... dear god...

I think I-45 South is a bit bad in traffic as well, but not nearly as much as US 59 & I-10.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:49 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times
Quote:

Especially considering my 14 mile commute can takes 55 minutes most days (but that is 76 known here as the Schuckyll Expressway, use of expressway is insulting for that road, it is backed up 22 of the 24 hours of the day). But honestly considering the distance it isnt bad, if I had to drive into Manhattan it would add at least another 30-40 minutes at that time to get the additional few miles (Why I take the train those days)

Old 08-03-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
I also live in Chicago, so I'll make an attempt to answer this one as well.

Well if you live in the suburbs, do not attempt to drive, there is no point, wake up around 6-7 AM get an express train from METRA directly to Downtown. Do not bother driving, more costly and much more of a hassle with parking, traffic, and lights (especially in the suburbs), & definitely cops... something faces you just do not want to see early in the morning.

METRA express trains get you to downtown within 28-32 minutes. The express train service in the morning has no other stops, it goes from your suburb straight to downtown.

If it's after express train times are over and done with for the day then it takes like 45 minutes I believe with about 3 stops depending how far out you are. Which is still convenient.

Now as for driving, I highly recommend not doing it. Chicago is one of the few cities in the country where you can depend solely on mass transit. The ticket from METRA from suburbs to downtown is like $5 I think, I don't know for sure- because I always get ripped off by the lady at the stand, she keeps asking questions and I keep saying "yeah sure add it in"... so I think $4.50-$5.00 is a reasonable amount or something, get a weekly pass, it will do you good and save you some cash. I am honestly retarded not to do so, but I never ride METRA much only to see some friends...

Anyways, I live inside of downtown Chicago, so for me getting around is far too simple. Here is a hint, if you live near the Chicago River and your office is about say 1.3 miles or so, do NOT take a cab or walk it if you're in a time crunch. Take a water taxi or if you're near the CTA stop then take that.

I have never in my life worked in Chicago before, I only live there and party and have a great time there, so I can't really describe any personal "getting to work" experience. But make good use of public transportation in Chicago, it's there for convenience, and it will save you cash. I have my car in Houston, but I don't have one in Chicago since I only spend 2.5 months out of 12 months in a year there, so I make due with public transportation.

Water Taxi = FTW!!! Fare for Water Taxi = A mere $2.
I like METRA, great commuter rail system. But I hate CTA... it's so annoying how overcrowded it can get at times... so I normally Water Taxi it since I live literally near the river, and it's the bloodstream for downtown. Make use with what you got!

LOL- I just realized how dramatically different my lifestyle is from one city to the other!

Old 08-03-2010, 04:10 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,192,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Sugar Land (suburb) to Downtown Houston. The distance is like 25.8 miles from my house to downtown on 1301 McKinney Street where I work.

The route anyone else would take is State Highway 6 from Sugar Land to US Highway 59, in which there is traffic crunch and lights on Highway 6 to the max in the morning. HWY 59 is normally fast paced, you see maniacs going 85 MPH in the morning with Coffee in their hands... anyways there is quite a bit of traffic on 59 when you reach the exit for Loop 610. Get ready for a 20 minute wait.

After that you get near the Louisiana street exit for downtown and there is another 15 minute delay where 59 diverges towards US 90 to Texas Medical Center.

The faster way would be to Take State Highway 6 South instead of North and take Fort Bend County Toll Road, no you wont have to pay toll because you'll be getting on US 90 before the toll areas appear. Take US 90/Main Street through Texas Medical Center and then Main Street will take you straight to downtown. It's got a bit of traffic in Texas Medical Center but nothing like the exit for Loop 610.

Other freeways that are a total mess in rush hour are I-10 near Memorial... dear god...

I think I-45 South is a bit bad in traffic as well, but not nearly as much as US 59 & I-10.
290 in Houston is the worst. If there is a wreck; you're never getting home. I was going to Waco and they had a wreck and we were at a standstill for an like an hour.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
290 in Houston is the worst. If there is a wreck; you're never getting home. I was going to Waco and they had a wreck and we were at a standstill for an like an hour.
Dude, when I get back, the week before school and quitting work. I just found out I can save an additional freaking $6 a day. I can just park my car on Fannin near reliant Park and take METRORail to downtown.

That's actually quite convenient. Fort Bend County Toll Road is the greatest thing to ever happen to my side of the city, beast road!

I agree man, 290 freakin looks like a monster headache especially in the morning near 8 AM. Barker Cypress is like a hotbed for wrecks in the morning dear god like 3 times a week you have to deal with that there.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:13 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Quote:

Washington DC, Baltimore, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Atlanta, Boston, San Jose, Seattle, Philadelphia, Richmond, Chicago

I'd cross DC and Baltimore off the list. They are the worst. To give you an idea.

landmark mall to downtown dc - Google Maps

I used to live near the start point for that commute. While my jobs were in the surburbs most who lived around me made that commute driving at an average of 40 minutes if unable to use the HOV lanes. Mass transit was a much better option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.