Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2010, 07:53 PM

18 posts, read 36,901 times

Advertisements

I will be graduating from college in the spring and am desperately craving a change of scenery and new opportunities. I am a 21 year old single male and currently live just outside of Madison, where I go to a media arts school for music recording and production. Here are some things I am looking for in a new city. This is in no particular order; these are all kind of my top tier of criteria.

Also, I have job prospects in Minneapolis and Denver right now so they kind of have a head start, but I’m still pretty open because I have plenty of time to decide.

Overall – I would like to be in a city that is of manageable size (ie probably not NYC, LA, or Chicago), but still has a vibrant downtown area with a true urban vibe. Skyline, lots going on, nightlife, good/unique food and shopping, walkable- that kind of thing. Museums and theater are maybe not quite as important to me, but would still be very cool to have around. I love the idea of a city having “everything you could want”, but have never really experienced that. I dream of being in a city where the whole day could be spent out and about, without feeling the need stop at home between doing things or get in the car to drive somewhere.

Music Scene
– I am going into the music industry, so I find it pretty necessary to be somewhere with a lot of clubs/venues and record stores as well as the presence of recording studios and record labels. It is VERY important to me to be able to get involved in a strong local indie music community; people making music and supporting the scene in general. I don't need anything world-class, but would like the city to be on the national radar (or at least the national underground radar) for producing music and a main stop for touring alt/indie bands.

Natural Setting/Outdoor Recreation – I’m not a die-hard outdoorsman, but I would love to live somewhere with access to great outdoor opportunities. It would be nice to be able to be out of the city and into the wilderness pretty quickly and easily. Mountains, ocean, lakes/rivers, woods…I wouldn’t say I have a preference towards one thing or another, but give me something!

Weather – I feel like I need to be somewhere that experiences all four seasons, but would like to have winters that are a little more tolerable than the upper Midwest. It isn’t the coldness itself that really bothers me, but how long it lasts without relenting.

People – This is probably a slightly lower priority than the rest, because I feel like in a big enough city you can find just about every type of person. However, I mainly would like the community to be active and as eager as I am to take advantage of the city’s amenities. It would be nice to have a college campus nearby, just to bring the city that college sense of community and youthfulness. I would like the overall vibe of the people to be more laid back rather than rat-racey. Cultural/Ethnic diversity is nice but I don't think it's a make-or-break thing for me. It also wouldn't hurt if the people are friendly overall (and the women are easy on the eyes )

Thanks for reading and let me know if you have any ideas or if anything needs clarification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 08:15 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
Denver.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:52 PM

201 posts, read 470,206 times
East Oakland sounds perfect.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:15 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Austin is always the obvious choice but it can be a bit "little fish in big water" which is tough when one is starting out without any experience. You might also take a look at Nashville which everyone assumes of course is 100% country. The city has a great well-rounded music scene with exceptional talent to learn from. Not to mention a low cost of living and pretty good job availability.

The Deli Nashville - All about the Nashville Indie Rock, Folk and Other Music Scenes! + Online Music Charts
City Scenes: Nashville - Indie-Music.com

Old 11-29-2010, 01:45 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Austin is always the obvious choice but it can be a bit "little fish in big water" which is tough when one is starting out without any experience. You might also take a look at Nashville which everyone assumes of course is 100% country. The city has a great well-rounded music scene with exceptional talent to learn from. Not to mention a low cost of living and pretty good job availability.

The Deli Nashville - All about the Nashville Indie Rock, Folk and Other Music Scenes! + Online Music Charts
City Scenes: Nashville - Indie-Music.com
Nashville was the first city that came to my mind. Memphis might work in some parts of the city. St. Louis and Kansas City could be possibilities too.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:41 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Sounds like Nashville is your best bet.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:42 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,392,797 times
Austin, TX

Portland, OR

Seattle, WA

Old 11-30-2010, 09:30 AM

6,824 posts, read 9,059,808 times
OP, you've just described Denver. I've never lived there, but I have friends who have. They love the place and can't stop talking about it. Portland and Seattle are nice. Portland would be a better fit for you. Seattle might seem a little too big, although the view of the water is beautiful there. Both cities can get pretty depressing with the lack of sunlight. I know Wisconsin doesn't get a lot of sun either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.