U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:22 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,116,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
I like it except don't put Austin with California. It is clearly a Texan city and belongs in the Western South with Dallas and San Antonio. You could take out every city in the country from it's actual region cause it is culturally different from the rural areas around it but you shouldn't because it is still an integral part of that region. Plus Austin is not as un-Texan as you make it out to seem.
Austin should really be grouped in an "New Texas" culture group that is similar to Piedmont and DC Area in the South. If Austin is a Left Coast then Boulder should be as well, and it isn't a suburb of Denver either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 10:33 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,146,935 times
HTF is Austin "Left Coast," when it's not even located in the West? El Paso is the only city in TX that qualifies as a western city (Mountain Time Zone).

Old 07-12-2010, 12:22 PM
rah

3,315 posts, read 8,118,861 times
What is up with that map?

The major cities of the "left coast" for example, include Austin, Petaluma, and Berkeley? Two of those are suburbs with 100,000 or less people, and the third is in Texas

And why isn't Long Beach on there? It has 500,000 people.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:01 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,594,953 times
I like the Mormon Corridor and Mountain West regions best.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:04 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,667,906 times
Austin is a southern city infested with Californians just like Houston and Dallas. The difference is Austin lacks the large black population which is why many people don't consider it southern.

If you put Austin in the west;it would stick out.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:05 PM

871 posts, read 1,956,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
What is up with that map?

The major cities of the "left coast" for example, include Austin, Petaluma, and Berkeley? Two of those are suburbs with 100,000 or less people, and the third is in Texas

And why isn't Long Beach on there? It has 500,000 people.
berkeley is NOT a suburb, its got a population density of 9,823 people per square mile (more dense than long beach)

and if you knew anything about berkeley's political and cultural history youd know that it is quite reasonable to put it as a major "left coast", city.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:08 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,157,104 times
Quote:
I like it except don't put Austin with California. It is clearly a Texan city and belongs in the Western South with Dallas and San Antonio. You could take out every city in the country from it's actual region cause it is culturally different from the rural areas around it but you shouldn't because it is still an integral part of that region. Plus Austin is not as un-Texan as you make it out to seem.
totally agree. Austin is simply inner loop Houston without the conservative suburbs

Old 07-12-2010, 01:30 PM

5,429 posts, read 13,172,633 times
Good grief... Austin in with left coast? Uh, no. No, no, no. Where are you getting this from?
Like others have said, most of the major Texas metros lean liberal in the city centers. And have you ever looked at Williamson County outside of Austin? Very conservative.
I've lived in central Austin. It's the state CAPITAL. I've never seen so much Texas symbolism as there. There may be a lot of Californian transplants (just like Houston and Dallas and San Antonio too) but most of them seem to integrate pretty well if you ask me. If you want to categorize a city based on where a large number of transplants come from lately, you had better remove Houston from the deep south (which is wrong anyway) and put a circle around most of it into a northeast US category. And a circle around San Antonio and put it into a Mexico category. Sounds a little silly, right?

The southern regions map in the other thread is all jacked up too with regards to Texas.

I get the impression the OP/map creator is not very familiar with Texas and just going off hearsay for some of it. The Texas maps in both threads need to be fixed, otherwise can't be taken seriously.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:34 PM

5,429 posts, read 13,172,633 times
Quote:
Austin is not "un-Texan" at all. It's the state capital for crying out loud. Texas symbolism all over that town, which I love! Even the university band wears cowboy hats. Sure, as a college town it's more liberal, but aside from that it's "deep in the heart of Texas" as they say...

Good grief, the national media sure has done a number on perception of it...

Old 07-12-2010, 02:18 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,452,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
Have to consider that in cases with minorities, they may vote predominantly for Democrats but are often socially conservative. I think social vales are what is being described rather than party voting.

Also Boulder isn't really a Denver suburb. It has its own seperate identity and history from Denver. It is no more than a sattelite city of Denver but not seen as a typical suburb.

that is the perfect way to put it, some of the outsiders think New Mexico is this liberal paradise, but they only visit Taos,Santa Fe or Albuquerque and assume the rest of the state is like that, but its not, even ABQ has a Republican mayor now. NM is conservative, alot of the minorities vote Democrat, but they still are more conservative people in their beliefs. The liberal way is more transplanted to NM from all the east coast outsiders and Californians who move to artsy places.

and I do think that the media or even the city data forum kinda mess with peoples perceptions of areas, Austin is very Texan, I will say that, so there may be a few hippies in downtown or around the University, but Austin is very much a Texan city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or