U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 11:31 PM

8,488 posts, read 17,944,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
they are seperated by 46 (45.93 to be exact) miles at their closest city borders, wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!

link

Gmaps Pedometer

And seriously what does a state have to do with it, The Philly and NYC MSA both include 4 states, just because the boundaries are close what does it matter if they cross state lines, is there a wall or something that I missed

Not only that but unlike the SPACE between Orlando and Tampa - the area between NYC and Philly is completely developed and there is an area where people consider themselves to basically be living in both metros, nothing like that exists in Orlando and tampa - seriously have you been to both areas?????????

And you do realize that there is as many people in that stretch as the whole state of Florida. this is a serious question
Yep, sorry I forgot that people fly in a straight line and live in the middle of the bay.

And yes I have been to both areas. Probably lived in each almost as long as you have been alive.

And no there are not as many people in your straight line area between Philly and NYC as the whole state of Florida considering your area only covers the furthest northeastern outskirts of Philly, goes over the lesser populated counties in Jersey and would not have any of the population of NYC.

Last edited by Mike1306; 07-17-2010 at 11:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 07:37 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,171,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Yep, sorry I forgot that people fly in a straight line and live in the middle of the bay.

And yes I have been to both areas. Probably lived in each almost as long as you have been alive.

And no there are not as many people in your straight line area between Philly and NYC as the whole state of Florida considering your area only covers the furthest northeastern outskirts of Philly, goes over the lesser populated counties in Jersey and would not have any of the population of NYC.

There are 18 million between and including Philly and NYC, not including the lessor populated areas of NJ (they are not what lies between) or CT or LI. NYC, Philly, the stretch of Jersey between. That is fact - it covers an approximate 80 mile line of distance, so Mercer, Someset, Union, Bergen, Hudson, Essex, Camden etc are all sparcely populated?

From (City Hall) Philly to Manhattan it is 67 miles on a straight line and not crossing the bay as you say. You are wrong

And yes the two miles of the route posted across water is very significant

Last edited by kidphilly; 07-18-2010 at 07:55 AM..

Old 07-18-2010, 08:13 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,944,914 times
Quote:
There are 18 million between and including Philly and NYC, not including the lessor populated areas of NJ (they are not what lies between) or CT or LI. NYC, Philly, the stretch of Jersey between. That is fact - it covers an approximate 80 mile line of distance, so Mercer, Someset, Union, Bergen, Hudson, Essex, Camden etc are all sparcely populated?

From (City Hall) Philly to Manhattan it is 67 miles on a straight line and not crossing the bay as you say. You are wrong

And yes the two miles of the route posted across water is very significant
So now you want to change your "as a crow flies" line to cover more area and get more population.
Good for you, I didn't think this was about population but considering Philly has a population of about 1.5 mil, NYC has a population of about 8 mil and all of Jersey has a population of 8.7 mil I don't see how you can say you are not counting certain areas to come up with 18.2 mil.
Florida has a population of 18.5 mil so once again I don't understand your population reference.

So is it 46 miles, 67 miles or 80 miles and how long ago did you learn how to fly?

Old 07-18-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
So now you want to change your "as a crow flies" line to cover more area and get more population.
Good for you, I didn't think this was about population but considering Philly has a population of about 1.5 mil, NYC has a population of about 8 mil and all of Jersey has a population of 8.7 mil I don't see how you can say you are not counting certain areas to come up with 18.2 mil.
Florida has a population of 18.5 mil so once again I don't understand your population reference.

So is it 46 miles, 67 miles or 80 miles and how long ago did you learn how to fly?

46 on a straight line to borders, 67 on a straight line between the city centers, and yes the 18 Mill is actuallyt easy to get to, you forget there 4 million people that live in the PA counties around Philly and all close in to the city

The point is Philly and NYC like it or not are closer and more connected than Tampa and Orlando, to believe otherwise is foolish - I dont think either should be combined but there are cities far more closely tied than those two you reference I was just pointing this out to make a point

And no need to fly, the rail connects pretty easilly, plus just because there is not a crow flies highway does not mean they are not interconnected, people live and co-mingle all through this line, You can map a mostly highway route that is 71 miles from Holland Tunnel to Market Street in Center City

On the 80 miles, that is the distance you said on Tampa to Orlando, so the 80 is what I required in the space to get to 18 million, go to 100 and you are pushing 23 million

Old 07-18-2010, 11:52 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,359,706 times
Who cares, Philly smells like butt anyway

Old 07-18-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
Who cares, Philly smells like butt anyway

Well I seem some cute butts every now and again, and dogs seem to really enjoy them

Old 07-18-2010, 05:27 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,359,706 times
Quote:
Well I seem some cute butts every now and again, and dogs seem to really enjoy them
I was just joshin, I love Philly. (Some parts do smell though)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-ash1/v77/80/37/56012834/n56012834_32345565_7761.jpg (broken link)

I was just in Philly, and it's crazy to see places like this in the middle of a bustling downtown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.