Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 02:51 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Johnson Controls lands $20M energy program contract at Empire State Building - The Business Journal of Milwaukee

Johnson Controls was recently hired to "greenify" the Empire State Building.
"FOOT"------> (my mouth).

After reading up on Johnson Controls, they do seem legit. Good for them!

It's safe to say that people in Milwaukee are much more laid back than people in Minneapolis...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 03:21 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
The distance is about the same from Chicago to Milwaukee in comparison from Tampa to Orlando, so if you're going to combine those 2 FL cities based on proximity to each other, shouldn't you do the same to other cities in close proximity to each other? IE, Chicago and Milwaukee who are actually closer to each other than Tampa and Orlando.
You didn't really answer my question so I am going to guess there is no connection.

I don't think the OP combined the 2 because of distance, it more more like due to the fact that they are in the same state and are both part of the High Tech Corridor for the state.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Not to mention NYC and Philly that are closer than either of the two referenced.
NYC to Philly 100 miles with a state in between.
Tampa to Orlando 80 miles in the same state.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
WTF

one, SF is NOT part of Silicon Valley.

two, Tampa and Orlando should not be combined. And I don't know what this "high tech corridor" is about. High tech for Florida maybe.

You aren't fooling ANYBODY especially this native Floridian.
The southern end of SF is considered part of the silicon valley to some but the boundaries are indeterminate so I am not going to get into that.

If you don't know about the Florida High Tech Corridor then you probably don't have as much knowledge of the area as you thought.

Quote:
Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Eaton Corporation, Raytheon and Aerosonic in the aviation field along with aerospace. The 4th largest optics and photonics cluster in the country. Electonic Arts, the company that makes Madden video games is here. The Tampa area is 20th in the country for domestic financial services companies. The high tech corridor employs over 33,000 people with a payroll of over $2 Billion in IT industries. Then we also have life sciences and medical technology companies, 220 microelectronics and nanotechnology-related businesses. Also MS&T companies which employ over 36,000 people with a payroll over $2.1 Billion.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:11 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,268,041 times
Wow I forgot about this thread.

I didn't make the list, I just copied it off the Minneapolis forum which was probably copied from somewhere else so I can't really speak as to why Tampa and Orlando are combined. I probably wouldn't have done it like that myself although I would have combined San Francisco and San Jose (as well as Oakland) cause they're all a part of the bay area.

Anyways, that's that.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:39 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
The southern end of SF is considered part of the silicon valley to some but the boundaries are indeterminate so I am not going to get into that.

If you don't know about the Florida High Tech Corridor then you probably don't have as much knowledge of the area as you thought.
Quote:
Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Eaton Corporation, Raytheon and Aerosonic in the aviation field along with aerospace. The 4th largest optics and photonics cluster in the country. Electonic Arts, the company that makes Madden video games is here. The Tampa area is 20th in the country for domestic financial services companies. The high tech corridor employs over 33,000 people with a payroll of over $2 Billion in IT industries. Then we also have life sciences and medical technology companies, 220 microelectronics and nanotechnology-related businesses. Also MS&T companies which employ over 36,000 people with a payroll over $2.1 Billion.
Like I previously said maybe high tech corridor for FL... Those stats aren't that impressive.

By the way...

Boeing is in Chicago
Lockheed Martin is in DC
Eaton is in Cleveland
Raytheon is in Boston
Electronic Arts is in SV

So basically none of the companies you listed are actually there.

Aerosonic employs 200 people with 4million income, hardly worth a mention.

The biggest relevant company of internet presence you had (wikipedia) already relocated. They must not have had that much talent to pull from in Tampa.
"ST. PETERSBURG, FL, October 9, 2007 - The Wikimedia Foundation, an international nonprofit organization dedicated to the growth, development and distribution of free, multilingual content, announced today that it will be relocating its headquarters from St. Petersburg, FL to San Francisco, CA. The move will take place this winter. "

OK though.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:28 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
The Twin Cities are beasts.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:31 PM

46 posts, read 131,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Oh yeah, I overlooked that. It must be the area between Little Rock & Memphis or something.
No, it's northwest of Little Rock. Between Little Rock and Tulsa or Little Rock and Kansas City, depending on how you look at it. You've got the headquarters of Wal-Mart and Tyson Foods there. I'm not sure what the third Fortune 500 company is there.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Like I previously said maybe high tech corridor for FL... Those stats aren't that impressive.

By the way...

Boeing is in Chicago
Lockheed Martin is in DC
Eaton is in Cleveland
Raytheon is in Boston
Electronic Arts is in SV

So basically none of the companies you listed are actually there.

Aerosonic employs 200 people with 4million income, hardly worth a mention.

The biggest relevant company of internet presence you had (wikipedia) already relocated. They must not have had that much talent to pull from in Tampa.
"ST. PETERSBURG, FL, October 9, 2007 - The Wikimedia Foundation, an international nonprofit organization dedicated to the growth, development and distribution of free, multilingual content, announced today that it will be relocating its headquarters from St. Petersburg, FL to San Francisco, CA. The move will take place this winter. "

OK though.
I never said they had their headquarters here but to act as if they have no presence when they have billions in payroll here is just shortsighted.

Obviously since there were 3 companies on the list to start the thread and I mentioned more than 3 companies i wasn't trying to say they were headquartered here.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:56 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
NYC to Philly 100 miles with a state in between.
Tampa to Orlando 80 miles in the same state.

they are seperated by 46 (45.93 to be exact) miles at their closest city borders, wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!

link

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3571782

And seriously what does a state have to do with it, The Philly and NYC MSA both include 4 states, just because the boundaries are close what does it matter if they cross state lines, is there a wall or something that I missed

Not only that but unlike the SPACE between Orlando and Tampa - the area between NYC and Philly is completely developed and there is an area where people consider themselves to basically be living in both metros, nothing like that exists in Orlando and tampa - seriously have you been to both areas?????????

And you do realize that there is as many people in that stretch as the whole state of Florida. this is a serious question

Last edited by kidphilly; 07-17-2010 at 10:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.