U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 03:03 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,732,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Sure; it might. I definitely wouldn't consider Denver a "western" city in the usual sense.
What is the 'usual sense'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 08:04 PM

10,238 posts, read 18,748,228 times
I agree with those who think the rainfall and subsequent transition from long grass to short grass prarie is a good way to distinguish. I also remember some writer saying that traveling east when you go from where men wear cowboy and slouch hats to wearing seed caps you've passed from west to Midwest.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:42 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,034,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I agree with those who think the rainfall and subsequent transition from long grass to short grass prarie is a good way to distinguish. I also remember some writer saying that traveling east when you go from where men wear cowboy and slouch hats to wearing seed caps you've passed from west to Midwest.
What the hell is a "seed cap" or a "slouch cap"? Also, cowboy hats show up in the Southeast pretty far east.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:31 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,971,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I recently saw a map where parts of Wyoming, Montana, and Colorado were excluded from the West.

In your opinion, where does the West begin? Are Denver and Cheyenne western cities? Or does the West not begin until Salt Lake City or Phoenix?
I think this is the best breakdown of the regions...

I call the west north central region the plains and east north central the great lakes states. I add Minnesota to the great lakes states since it borders lake superior.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:24 PM

10,238 posts, read 18,748,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
What the hell is a "seed cap" or a "slouch cap"? Also, cowboy hats show up in the Southeast pretty far east.
That's probably why the writer, evidently well aware of the southern penchant for playing cowboy, said Midwest.

You don't know what seed caps and slouch hats are? You gotta be kidding me.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:27 PM

7,735 posts, read 9,027,441 times
Quote:
That is a good way to gauge it. In Nebraska you see the cornfields give way to wheat fields and pastures. Once you start seeing prairie dogs you know you're out west. In South Dakota you see it change once you cross the Missouri River. That's when you also start to see antelope. I have to ask, what is a slouch hat or seed cap?

Old 08-17-2012, 08:45 PM

6,413 posts, read 10,389,262 times
The "west" starts at the Continental Divide.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:58 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,034,690 times
Quote:
That's probably why the writer, evidently well aware of the southern penchant for playing cowboy, said Midwest.

You don't know what seed caps and slouch hats are? You gotta be kidding me.
no, i'm not kidding you.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:20 PM

363 posts, read 617,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
To me, it's really the I-35 corridor. Cities on it and to the East are NOT Western, while cities West of it are TRULY Western. The only example of cities that lie ON the I-35 corridor that may be Western are San Antonio or Austin, Texas.
So Omaha is Western? Kanas City is Eastern. Don't get me wrong, but while Omaha certainly isn't an eastern city it's not Western like say Denver or Albuquerque or even Colorado Springs. Same with Lincoln. Both are very midwestern, though there are western influences. Same with Kansas City, its a midwest city with a lot of midwest influences. Kind of like cities in Texas where the West meets the South

Old 09-24-2012, 09:36 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I would call all the states west of the lines running along the western edges of Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas and Texas as the WEST.

If you go east of that line though, I would exactly say you're in the EAST. Iowa isn't an eastern state. I would define the EAST as east of the Mississippi River.

That line of states in between are called different things depending on the situation. Upper Midwest, Lower Midwest, Southern, etc.
Agreed. Arkansas and Louisiana especially fit in far more with the Southeastern United States than they do the west. Missouri, Iowa, and Minnesota can go either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or