U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2012, 11:06 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,796,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
You hit the Geographic West once you reach Western Louisiana/Texas. You hit the cultural West, once you reach the Trans-Pecos Region/Horn of Texas. Once you get out there, you're geographically closer to Los Angeles than you are to New Orleans, let alone Atlanta. There's still vestiges of Southern Culture out there, but overall, it's not the same. It's just not the same.
How do you figure that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 11:14 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,796,452 times
If you split the US evenly down the middle, I believe the eastern half would look like this:

Where does the West begin?-usa-map.jpg

Old 09-28-2012, 08:40 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,932,344 times
The West begins west of Salina, KS.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:57 PM

641 posts, read 824,021 times
The west begins when most trees you see are either planted or along riverbeds
About at 100 W meridian.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:00 AM

363 posts, read 617,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burloak View Post
The west begins when most trees you see are either planted or along riverbeds
About at 100 W meridian.
Okay, this describes most of Nebraska and at least Western Iowa, except for the loess hills. The treeless tallgrass prairie region used to extend to about Peoria Illinois and went as far west as Central Nebraska. Also, I think most trees in Eastern Nebraska were planted, we just planted a lot more

Old 10-26-2012, 09:27 PM

163 posts, read 362,848 times
In the United States, around where St. Louis is

In Europe, around the western part of Germany.

That's where the west begins for both the United States and
Europe.

Last edited by Ninetails; 10-26-2012 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: Needed to capitalize States

Old 10-27-2012, 10:58 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,541,281 times
I like the Missouri River as a clearly observable dividing line, which is a decent fit sociologically too.

The 100th meridian is also a classic definition. It runs through the middle of North Dakota and South Dakota down into Texas west of Austin and San Antonio, hitting the Mexican border just west of Laredo. West Texas might be more western, but the populated areas of Texas--Houston, Dallas, San Antonio etc.--are solidly southern in their politics, religion etc. Austin's big music festival is called South by Southwest, clearly staking a claim to both.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:30 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,848,190 times
The West begins at the Denver Airport.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:48 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,747,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
I like the Missouri River as a clearly observable dividing line, which is a decent fit sociologically too.

The 100th meridian is also a classic definition. It runs through the middle of North Dakota and South Dakota down into Texas west of Austin and San Antonio, hitting the Mexican border just west of Laredo. West Texas might be more western, but the populated areas of Texas--Houston, Dallas, San Antonio etc.--are solidly southern in their politics, religion etc. Austin's big music festival is called South by Southwest, clearly staking a claim to both.
I think the 100th meridian is a good definition. Texas isn't Western because like you said, the most populated areas don't exactly vibe with CO, AZ, CA, etc. But at the sametime, none of the populated areas vibe right with the East either. And most folks in the east think of Texas as "Out West". And on top of that, geographically, too much of Texas is too far from the rest of the east(Hope I didn't confuse you). Yeah, But West Texas(the Trans-Pecos Region) is the TRUE Southwest through and through. No Southern in it at all. I'm gonna be talking about this stuff on C-D till the world ends or till the day I die. I sound like a parrot repeating this subject over and over.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:43 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,108,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I think the 100th meridian is a good definition. Texas isn't Western because like you said, the most populated areas don't exactly vibe with CO, AZ, CA, etc. But at the sametime, none of the populated areas vibe right with the East either. And most folks in the east think of Texas as "Out West". And on top of that, geographically, too much of Texas is too far from the rest of the east(Hope I didn't confuse you). Yeah, But West Texas(the Trans-Pecos Region) is the TRUE Southwest through and through. No Southern in it at all. I'm gonna be talking about this stuff on C-D till the world ends or till the day I die. I sound like a parrot repeating this subject over and over.
LOL I hear ya, Polo (bolded part). Same here!

I think the point that is missed by many, is that there are two "West." There is the geographic west, which roughly translates into the part of the country which was mostly settled after the War between the States. The so-called "Frontier Strip" was where -- in terms of whole states -- it all got started, so to speak.

Frontier Strip - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But the point to make is that this particular "west" can only be properly understood (only IMHO, of course), being in contrast with "the east". It involves migration movements westward more than any true historical/cultural commonality.

Put another way? Kansas, Texas, Wyoming and California are all "western states". By the same token? New Jersey, Ohio, Massachusetts, and Georgia, are all "eastern states". Thus, in some realms, Georgia and Massachusetts share some commonalities (such as a Colonial experience, compacted cities, etc) not typical of Texas and Kansas. Which in turn, being "western" have a shared post-bellum "cowboy and cattle and frontier" aspect.

However? In the whole scheme of history and culture? This particular "west" simply reflects overall westward migration and certain topographical similarities, and a few superficial other things. As it is, Texas and Kansas dont really have all that much in common with one another. As certainly neither do Georgia and Massachussets.

That is where the other "West", and "East" comes into play. That is, the true "West" of culture, history, politics, speech and religious patterns, etc., Texas is not (at least not much of it) is part of "that" West. That West is made up of the Rocky Mountain and interior SW states. Neither is Kansas much part of that one.

The former (Texas) was overwhelmingly shaped by Southern characteristics and was and remains, even today, essentially a Southern state. Same as Kansas is dominated by Midwestern, not Western, traits.

From the opposite direction? Massachusets is the real "East" (as used interchangeably with the region we know as "Northeast"), and for sure, few would disagree with that Georgia is not solidly Southern...

So to come the full circle (at last! LOL)? It is important to keep in mind (again, only IMHO), that when it comes to Texas? The "West" and "South" are not mutually exclusive of one another. Rather, it simply reflects the truth that the state (at least the clear majority of it) is the "western South, not the "southern West." Not a whole lot different than that Georgia is the "eastern South", not the "southern East."

I hope that makes sense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or