U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2017, 11:47 AM

7,721 posts, read 9,018,166 times

Advertisements

Forgive me for reviving this thread. I thought of the West/Midwest transition zones last weekend as I drove into Theodore Roosevelt National Park. With the route I took, the transition was stark once I crossed the Missouri River. It wasn't long before I felt like I had exited the Midwest. It's fun to see those changes in the Dakotas and Nebraska.

Three questions I'm going to ask on here? If you're looking at the cultural aspect of the West, do you think the Pacific Northwest is different enough to be called a separate regions in its own right? And if so, where does that start? I think the Cascades marks the dividing line.

What about the Southwest? Is that a distinctive region in its own right? Culturally it seems to have lots of similarities with the Mountain West, but are there enough differences that it is its own separate region?

Lastly, is California part of the West? Geographically I would agree, but culturally it's quite different from the Mountain West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 11:59 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,749,193 times
Coming from the south, I think California and Colorado are "west" and shouldn't need to be separate. They are in different regions but I see plenty of similarities. I felt like I was solidly in the west somewhere in between Witchita Falls and Amarillo. Seattle is very west too. It's a subregion of the west like the mountain west is, in my opinion.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:27 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,872,221 times
shouldn't we be discussing what it is that brings us together and not what separates us?

Spoiler
Chamberlain, SD

Old 08-11-2017, 04:24 PM

7,721 posts, read 9,018,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghengis View Post
shouldn't we be discussing what it is that brings us together and not what separates us?

Spoiler
chamberlain, sd
So that separates or brings us together?

Old 08-12-2017, 03:56 AM

7,815 posts, read 12,319,426 times
I consider Fort Worth, Denver, and Colorado Springs to be the easternmost Western cities. I consider Kansas City and Topeka to be Midwestern, not Western. Omaha is also a Midwest city, not Western.

I think when it comes to where the West begins its pretty clear unlike the border between North and South. For example Denver and CS are easternmost western cities but they're NOT westernmost Midwest cities. There's nothing Midwest about Denver and nothing Western about Kansas City or Topeka.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:41 AM

214 posts, read 187,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
It starts in Denver. Denver is that Gateway to the West. Now gives us the Arch, St. Louis
I agree with you "denverian"....if you want to consider the "Rockies" or Denver ("the Spine of the U.S." as some have called them) as the 'physical' starting point of the West then you are correct. I once said to someone "why so many Midwesterners here in Denver?" He said: "They made it this far (from the East) so why go over the mountains?" To lazy or they lost their adventureous spirit. Since you obviously live in Denver did you know Denver grew on a LIE? They found no gold there...haha. It's in the Colorado history museum in Denver.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:11 AM

214 posts, read 187,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Forgive me for reviving this thread. I thought of the West/Midwest transition zones last weekend as I drove into Theodore Roosevelt National Park. With the route I took, the transition was stark once I crossed the Missouri River. It wasn't long before I felt like I had exited the Midwest. It's fun to see those changes in the Dakotas and Nebraska.

Three questions I'm going to ask on here? If you're looking at the cultural aspect of the West, do you think the Pacific Northwest is different enough to be called a separate regions in its own right? And if so, where does that start? I think the Cascades marks the dividing line.

What about the Southwest? Is that a distinctive region in its own right? Culturally it seems to have lots of similarities with the Mountain West, but are there enough differences that it is its own separate region?

Lastly, is California part of the West? Geographically I would agree, but culturally it's quite different from the Mountain West.
Well NDak15 1) you seem to agree with my earlier post of the "air change" between East and West near Huron SD at the James River...that's a big change IMO; 2) Pacific NW? I agree the Cascades mark the change...East of them is desert and dry air. I lived in Portland OR once and could see this change ie. at Pendleton OR; 3) Southwest? Rand McNally has the 4 Southwestern states as TX, OK, NM, and AZ. I've lived in all of them. You can argue TX but that is only due to its' size ie, "W's..other country"...haha. Most of those states are high desert and all semi-arid. AZ is so HOT some have said it will revert to its' original landscape of PURE desert and/or a "heat island": the population there have WAY surpassed what a sq mi of desert can support. They'll tell that to Coloradoans when they want MORE water from the Colorado river...haha; 4)California West? A no brainer. "Culturally different" all due to migration from the East (as you know) for those "LALA land" folks wanting some real estate next to the Pacific. CA could also be another country (like TX)...in fact in sq mi it's our 3rd largest state and way to many people for me. National Geographic once did an article on CA and divided it between the Northern and Southern "kingdoms" which probably separate somewhere South of SFO bay along with the weather.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:27 AM

17,662 posts, read 4,058,482 times
Abilene/Baird/Clyde,Texas in my experience.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:02 AM

13,236 posts, read 24,407,950 times
About 100 degrees West. AKA, anywhere it doesn't get reliably humid.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:58 AM

2,970 posts, read 4,341,163 times
If the county is just divided into East and West. I feel like the Eastern line of North Dakota down to the TX-LA line is what divides the East from the West.

If there were a "Central" category I def think those light red states in the one graphic would be considered that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or