U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2017, 05:11 PM

2,970 posts, read 4,348,086 times

Advertisements

US 281 is a good one. When driving West of DFW... you definitely start to notice the change in scenery once you cross over the Brazos River.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 06:14 PM

7,745 posts, read 9,044,025 times
Something I find interesting is how the Dakotas and Nebraska (again, not so familiar with Kansas) are thought of and in the case of the Dakotas, embraced as western states.

South Dakota's main tourist draw is Mount Rushmore and to a lesser extant Wall Drug and the Badlands. As a result, South Dakota has Mount Rushmore on its welcome signs at the border, even in Sioux Falls, an area far from the Black Hills. This is depicted in tourism ads. This probably is why people likely think of South Dakota as a western state.

North Dakota, while definitely not a tourist draw, embraces Theodore Roosevelt National Park, an area of badlands. The license plate even depicts that with a bison on it. While not so well known, this is probably something that contributes to North Dakota being thought of as a western state.

The oddest one I think though, is the state of Nebraska as perceived by people Iowa. Almost everyone I know in Iowa goes on and on about how "ugly" Nebraska is, even though the scenery is identical to Iowa in the eastern two thirds. Only the western third has the scenery usually thought of as "western." The people I know who say that Nebraska is ugly speak as if the entire state looks like the western third as soon as one crosses into Omaha. This one I find strange.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:55 PM

4,102 posts, read 4,741,940 times
I honestly think our country is big enough east to west to warrant a central mega-region. Which I would define as the Mississippi river west to the mountains.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Something I find interesting is how the Dakotas and Nebraska (again, not so familiar with Kansas) are thought of and in the case of the Dakotas, embraced as western states.

South Dakota's main tourist draw is Mount Rushmore and to a lesser extant Wall Drug and the Badlands. As a result, South Dakota has Mount Rushmore on its welcome signs at the border, even in Sioux Falls, an area far from the Black Hills. This is depicted in tourism ads. This probably is why people likely think of South Dakota as a western state.

North Dakota, while definitely not a tourist draw, embraces Theodore Roosevelt National Park, an area of badlands. The license plate even depicts that with a bison on it. While not so well known, this is probably something that contributes to North Dakota being thought of as a western state.

The oddest one I think though, is the state of Nebraska as perceived by people Iowa. Almost everyone I know in Iowa goes on and on about how "ugly" Nebraska is, even though the scenery is identical to Iowa in the eastern two thirds. Only the western third has the scenery usually thought of as "western." The people I know who say that Nebraska is ugly speak as if the entire state looks like the western third as soon as one crosses into Omaha. This one I find strange.
I think Nebraska is actually quite beautiful in the sand hills. It's a unique almost alien landscape.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:05 AM

7,745 posts, read 9,044,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I think Nebraska is actually quite beautiful in the sand hills. It's a unique almost alien landscape.
I've seen pictures of it and it looks very pretty. Especially with all of the cranes around. Truthfully I find it very ignorant that these particular people say this about Nebraska, considering their idea of a vacation is Going to the Iowa State Fair and they almost never set foot outside of their state.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:06 AM

9,388 posts, read 9,551,583 times
Quote:
I honestly think our country is big enough east to west to warrant a central mega-region. Which I would define as the Mississippi river west to the mountains.
The Central US is the Mississippi Basin.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The Central US is the Mississippi Basin.
Not really. That is really far east. I'd call it the eastern reach of central, not the definition of central in its entirety.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I've seen pictures of it and it looks very pretty. Especially with all of the cranes around. Truthfully I find it very ignorant that these particular people say this about Nebraska, considering their idea of a vacation is Going to the Iowa State Fair and they almost never set foot outside of their state.
Yeah it's odd considering both Iowa and Nebraska are awfully under-rated states in terms of scenery. You'd think there'd be more mutual respect.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:09 AM

9,388 posts, read 9,551,583 times
Quote:
Not really. That is really far east. I'd call it the eastern reach of central, not the definition of central in its entirety.
Culturally Cincinnati is much more like Omaha than Portland. Between the Divides arenlibked to each other more than they are to either side of the mountains. Cincinnati is only 53 years older than Denver, compared to about 176 years between New York and Cincy. The entire Central Valley was settled very fast.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Culturally Cincinnati is much more like Omaha than Portland. Between the Divides arenlibked to each other more than they are to either side of the mountains. Cincinnati is only 53 years older than Denver, compared to about 176 years between New York and Cincy. The entire Central Valley was settled very fast.
Ah, we're approaching this from different angles.

I'm looking strictly at geographical boundaries. Not culture nor history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or