Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2017, 08:36 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedean1878 View Post
100th meridian.
In at least Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas the physical changes to more western terrain and weather are a good 100 or so miles east of the 100th meridian. Don't know about the Dakotas but the 100th meridian as a demarcation puts a whole lot of the great plains in the eastern part of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 08:52 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
The west begins when the radio stations start with a "K" instead of a "W."

Old 08-19-2017, 08:58 PM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Using that as your gauge is just a bit flawed. Dallas (WRR) would be eastern, and Pittsburgh (KDKA) would be western. They're both eastern (and contrary to prior assertions Fort Worth isn't western, either).

Old 08-19-2017, 09:16 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
That is a good answer in general, but not very good specifically. The line between "K" radio stations and "W" radio stations is generally the Mississippi River.

However, there are plenty of "W" calls west of the Mississippi, and a few "K"'s east.

WDAY Fargo, WCCO Minneapolis, WBAP Fort Worth, WOAI San Antonio, WOI Des Moines, WKY Oklahoma City are all examples of the former.

KDKA Pittsburgh, KQV Pittsburgh, and KYW Philadelphia examples of the latter.

But even ignoring these, "K" call letters are common west of the Mississippi, so that would equate to Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, and Louisiana being in the west. Perhaps this was considered a standard back in the early days of radio in the 1920's, but certainly not today.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 08-19-2017 at 09:35 PM..

Old 08-19-2017, 09:21 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
When traveling East to West on I-20 in Texas, the scenery begins to look more dry as you get west of Fort Worth. More exposed soil, cactus, scrub brush. Especially after you cross over the Brazos River.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:28 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,934,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
In at least Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas the physical changes to more western terrain and weather are a good 100 or so miles east of the 100th meridian. Don't know about the Dakotas but the 100th meridian as a demarcation puts a whole lot of the great plains in the eastern part of the country.
I'm not familiar with Texas, Oklahoma, or Kansas, but in the Dakotas and Nebraska the majority of the land areas of those states do have a Midwestern landscape. Nebraska and eastern South Dakota east of the 100th meridian look identical to Iowa for example, and are culturally more like that. Eastern North Dakota looks a little different in that there are much fewer cornfields but still a similar look. And culturally, most of North Dakota is much more similar to Minnesota than Montana. In those states at least, the 100th meridian is accurate.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:10 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,492,504 times
I believe you can even throw Western Iowa into the blur zone, driving to Omaha i notice a striking difference in scenery much like crossing through South Dakota.... Western Iowa on I-80 you start getting some rolling hills and its way more open.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:19 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,539,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I always considered the great plains midwestern, personally.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:24 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
The 100th meridian is the eastern border of the Texas Panhandle. Driving west on I-40 you pretty much are aware of a change in topography and vegetation at that point. The land starts to break up with more ravines and the Llano Estacado as well as Palo Duro Canyon are not eastern features. Taking that line northward you hit Dodge City in Kansas...not eastern. In Nebraska you have the Sandhills slightly west and going north you hit the Rosebud Reservation and then Bismarck, ND. The Black Hills of South Dakota serve as a definite western landmark (103 degrees west) and the Badlands National Park is at 102 degrees west. East of that line there are a few western-ish places but the 100th meridian is a pretty solid boundary.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:21 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,934,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I believe you can even throw Western Iowa into the blur zone, driving to Omaha i notice a striking difference in scenery much like crossing through South Dakota.... Western Iowa on I-80 you start getting some rolling hills and its way more open.
I've driven from Council Bluffs to Davenport and I always thought it all looked pretty much the same and that the eastern two thirds of Nebraska did as well. I guess I'll have to pay more attention if I ever drive it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.