U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 02:20 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,304,012 times

Advertisements

Well, from Oregon, there are different ways to define "the west." In one sense, "the west" is everything to the west of the Cascade Mountains, and once you cross over those mountains, you are - in some sense - "back east." Especially since the topography shifts from temperate rainforests and farmland to semiarid plateaus and even outright desert.

In a broader sense, what we call "the west" would probably expand into the intermountain region, as far as the western side of the Rocky Mountains. Beyond that - over the mountains - feels like something else. Denver, for instance, feels like some kind of plains/midwestern/mountain-western hybrid, as opposed to part of "the west."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 02:38 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,119,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe;25525901[B
]I would say the West begins once you can see the Rocky Mountains.[/b] Those parts of Colorado, MT and Wyoming in the plains where you can't see the mountains IMO are the Midwest.
LOL Oh man, my fiance DEFINTETLY agrees with you on THIS one! She is a native Rocky Mountain Colorado girl, and is ADAMENT in that Texas is Southern, not Western, as she thinks of "The West".

Hell, thing is? I AGREE with her!

Texas is Southern...and I am proud of that. Colorado is Western, and I can understand why they are proud of that!

Goshamighty, I can't WAIT for the next Texas/Colorado "Tomato War". Hee hee...

Old 08-07-2012, 02:39 PM

274 posts, read 287,984 times
My own personal biased definition of the west, as someone who grew up in the Rocky Mountains of Idaho, is if you are in a state that has a mountain above 10,000 feet in elevation, then you are in the west. That would cover Alaska and Hawaii as well. For me - it is the mountains that define the west more than anything else - and I miss them so....

However, there have been times when I have not been in such a state and have been in area that felt western to me. These included the black hills, NW Nebraska, TDR National Park, and the El Paso-Big Bend area. Still, my own foolish pride refuses to admit those states as western.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:24 PM

7,826 posts, read 12,333,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt38 View Post
My own personal biased definition of the west, as someone who grew up in the Rocky Mountains of Idaho, is if you are in a state that has a mountain above 10,000 feet in elevation, then you are in the west. That would cover Alaska and Hawaii as well. For me - it is the mountains that define the west more than anything else - and I miss them so....

However, there have been times when I have not been in such a state and have been in area that felt western to me. These included the black hills, NW Nebraska, TDR National Park, and the El Paso-Big Bend area. Still, my own foolish pride refuses to admit those states as western.
I think any desert landscape would also be west. Its okay if some people differ with me, but I consider West Texas and the Texas Panhandle to be Western.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:33 PM

140 posts, read 208,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I really can't agree though that Fort Worth is part of the West...it's essentially a continuation of the city of Dallas. I see Amarillo, Austin, and Dallas as being more southern than western. When I was there, southern dialects and southern culture are still very much present.

At least 3/4 of Texas fits in better with the south than the west. In fact as far as southern influences go, Eastern New Mexico has a huge amount of southern influence. So that calls into question even the 1/4 of the state of Texas I outlined. I really cannot say there is any part of texas that I can say is "not southern" in any way, shape, or form. Even El Paso has southern influence.

San Antonio may be enough to be blurred as definitively southern, but it still has southern influence.
Fort Worth is definitely not a continuation of Dallas. The two cities used to be much more separated than they hare now, and have grown closer over the years, leading to the DFW categorization and the inclusion of Fort Worth with Dallas to most people. But Dallas and Fort Worth definitely have different feels about them, and Fort Worth could certainly be considered the gateway to the West in north Texas.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguysa View Post
Fort Worth is definitely not a continuation of Dallas. The two cities used to be much more separated than they hare now, and have grown closer over the years, leading to the DFW categorization and the inclusion of Fort Worth with Dallas to most people. But Dallas and Fort Worth definitely have different feels about them, and Fort Worth could certainly be considered the gateway to the West in north Texas.
The "Gateway to the West" I would agree with as concerns Fort Worth (along the I-20 and/or I-30 route if Texas is the focal point). That is, as in where the "eastern" United States fades out and the "frontier post-bellum west" begins.

But it is not the end of the South...and moniker was never intended to be taken that way when it was first applied. It simply meant where the "western South" began. A distinct sub-region of the South...as opposed to the "Old South/Southeast". The notion that Texas west of Ft. Worth constituted a totally different region would have been considered even more luidicrous then, than it is today.

Last edited by TexasReb; 08-07-2012 at 08:06 PM..

Old 08-08-2012, 02:50 PM

18,634 posts, read 27,069,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I really can't agree though that Fort Worth is part of the West...it's essentially a continuation of the city of Dallas. I see Amarillo, Austin, and Dallas as being more southern than western. When I was there, southern dialects and southern culture are still very much present.

At least 3/4 of Texas fits in better with the south than the west. In fact as far as southern influences go, Eastern New Mexico has a huge amount of southern influence. So that calls into question even the 1/4 of the state of Texas I outlined. I really cannot say there is any part of texas that I can say is "not southern" in any way, shape, or form. Even El Paso has southern influence.

San Antonio may be enough to be blurred as definitively southern, but it still has southern influence.
But it is not a Southern city. It barely has anything in common with Houston or Dallas let alone Jackson or Montgomery. It has more in common with Tucson than Austin. I'm sure there are Southern influences in El Paso. There's Southern influences in just about every city nowadays. Does not make them Southern. Especially today.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
But it is not a Southern city. It barely has anything in common with Houston or Dallas let alone Jackson or Montgomery. It has more in common with Tucson than Austin. I'm sure there are Southern influences in El Paso. There's Southern influences in just about every city nowadays. Does not make them Southern. Especially today.
I am not sure if you are talking about Ft. Worth or El Paso here, Spade, but if it is it Ft. Worth, then the Southern influences are definitely there and never have lacked in the least.. It is "western South" ...frontier South, perhaps even Cowboy South...but Fort Worth NEVER denied nor tried to, its essentially Southern roots and the Southern elements that -- of itself -- made it "western and Southern".

El Paso? Yeah, I would generally go along there...but still keep in mind that that county went for secession and there is a Confederate monument on the courthouse lawn...and there is Jeff Davis County in that area. Point being, even FAR west Texas has Southern influences not typical of the interior SW of NM and AZ.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:45 PM

97 posts, read 157,643 times
I consider the West to begin on a north - south line that runs though the western portions of North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:06 PM

20,695 posts, read 19,527,106 times
For me it begins in a line from East Montana South to West Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or