U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2013, 02:05 AM

1,576 posts, read 2,537,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I agree. Most white Americans are the descendants of Germans, Scots, Irish, English, etc. So why would they look so different?

I think Russians tend to be easier to pick out of a crowd. Many tend to have round(er) faces.

Yevgeny Kafelnikov

http://longislandtennismagazine.com/...Kafelnikov.jpg

Anna Kournikova

http://wallpapersquad.net/bulkupload...nikova%203.jpg

Dinara Safina

http://www.topnews.in/sports/files/safina.jpg
I'll add Scandanavians to the mix too. This blonde look isn't common outside of the Upper Midwest or Utah.

http://woodlawnpost.com/wp-content/u...ft_629627p.jpg

http://scandikitchen.typepad.com/.a/...d8fd970b-800wi
http://sgfsoccer.com/wp-content/uplo...den_woment.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 10:32 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,989 posts, read 41,967,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
I'll add Scandanavians to the mix too. This blonde look isn't common outside of the Upper Midwest or Utah.
Stopped at a gas station / convenience store in South Dakota. On the wall was a photo of the local high school girl's cross country team. Every single girl had light blond hair, and looked complexion-wise what I imagined Scandivian-wise. In contrast, on a thread someone posted photos of people from Sicily and I thought they looked like they could be typical white Americans, excluding dress sense. At least if your image of typical white Americans is based on Long Islanders. Still, maybe only a third (or 40% ?) of white Long Islanders would like Sicilian.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:38 AM

49 posts, read 83,043 times
I would say it's Latin/Hispanic nowadays...

Old 10-26-2013, 12:23 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,144,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
or

Then explain why white americans as a whole look far more like British Islanders than like germans. GErmans look sort of alien compared to your everyday white america (unless you are talking about specific areas on minnesota,northdakota or michigan where germans could fit aswell) Most of you average british and Irish people could go to the US and pass unnoticed without any problem.

your typical white like ben affleck would pass as brit or Irish but he doesnt look german on the very least.

german students:

British students:

Your second group looks far more like a random group of white americans.
1) I don't think those two groups of photos look all that different from each other.
2) Honestly, it might be a region bias, but the German group looks more American to me.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:47 AM

49 posts, read 83,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
1) I don't think those two groups of photos look all that different from each other.
2) Honestly, it might be a region bias, but the German group looks more American to me.

I think it really depends. People in America are mixed these days. I find people in parts of Louisiana and maybe Pennsylvania with strong German, French or Italian backgrounds to have darker features. Whenever I meet someone with German ancestry with lighter features they have Irish or some other mix.

I've been to Europe twice and noticed darker features in France, Germany, Spain, Italy and Greece. I've never been to Poland or Sweden. Maybe it's a regional thing? Anyway, in general, I've found Europeans to be darker complected. Here in the United States it's not so apparent. I imagine it's due to the melting pot nature of our country?

Old 10-27-2013, 10:02 PM

831 posts, read 2,718,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I lived in England for a year, and English people don't look like the generic American white - and not only due to the bad teeth and being much thinner. The English tend to have much more pronounced/angular facial features (big noses, jutting chins, high cheekbones, etc) compared to the average white Americans. This goes for English people only. Scots have more diverse facial features, and tend to fit in with the American range better. Irish people are generally pretty easy to pick out in a crowd, but they don't look as distinctive since there are so many Irish-Americans in the U.S. (or, at least the parts of the U.S. I grew up in).

When I was in Germany, I thought people looked much more like the average white American. There's a bit of a more "masculine" look (for lack of a better term) to both the men and women, but they'd be much more likely to pass unnoticed in a crowd in America.
Maybe because you live in an area with higher german input. Its like someone from minnesota believes average white american looks closer to danish or Norwegian than to British just based on what he has seen most of his life, but It would be highly inaccurate.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishacadiana82 View Post
I think it really depends. People in America are mixed these days. I find people in parts of Louisiana and maybe Pennsylvania with strong German, French or Italian backgrounds to have darker features. Whenever I meet someone with German ancestry with lighter features they have Irish or some other mix.

I've been to Europe twice and noticed darker features in France, Germany, Spain, Italy and Greece. I've never been to Poland or Sweden. Maybe it's a regional thing? Anyway, in general, I've found Europeans to be darker complected. Here in the United States it's not so apparent. I imagine it's due to the melting pot nature of our country?
You probably never been to germany or have you? If anything I noticed germans being generally taller and more often blonde/blue eyed than white americans.

British people on the other hand are generally pale and with darker hair colors as a rule, either mousy brown or dark brown predominate the mix. British and Irish people looked by far more like generic whites from the states. Germans have more of the so called stereotypical germanic features. for example someone like ben affleck who is so typical american looking could easily pass for british and Irish but he doesnt look german in the very least.

Those brits could easily pass for random white american students:

I dont see those germans passing for random white americans though.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:18 AM

1,576 posts, read 2,537,194 times
Quote:
You probably never been to germany or have you? If anything I noticed germans being generally taller and more often blonde/blue eyed than white americans.

British people on the other hand are generally pale and with darker hair colors as a rule, either mousy brown or dark brown predominate the mix. British and Irish people looked by far more like generic whites from the states. Germans have more of the so called stereotypical germanic features. for example someone like ben affleck who is so typical american looking could easily pass for british and Irish but he doesnt look german in the very least.

They both could pass for typical White Americans. Have you been in this country? You sound like a broken record.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:27 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,144,045 times
Quote:

I could see those Germans passing for random White Brits.

Anyway, here's a metapicture of a bunch of White Americans, Brits (all races), etc. to create an "averaged" face. I'll post the women later if you don't feel like looking it up yourself. In this picture, the English guy looks slightly closer than the German, but not overwhelmingly.

Source: The Postnational Monitor | Confucianist Nations and Sub-Sahara African Focused Affairs Site

Old 10-28-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I could see those Germans passing for random White Brits.

Anyway, here's a metapicture of a bunch of White Americans, Brits (all races), etc. to create an "averaged" face. I'll post the women later if you don't feel like looking it up yourself. In this picture, the English guy looks slightly closer than the German, but not overwhelmingly.

Source: The Postnational Monitor | Confucianist Nations and Sub-Sahara African Focused Affairs Site
English face is by far the most similar to american one. Ireland looks like a more robust version of the white american face meanwhile Germany looks closer to poland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.