U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2013, 09:52 PM

606 posts, read 953,011 times

Advertisements

I don't have full faith in self-reporting. The way I see it, English/WASP ancestry is going to get recorded the least cause if you have even a bit of other heritage, you're more likely to identify with and list that, in my opinion. For example, I'd say at least 90% of African-Americans are of English descent. Most white ethnics have intermarried by now, or many, and all it takes is one distant English ancestor. I say I would have to be convinced by a LOT of data to believe anything other than the fact that English ancestry is the most common (and most underreported) ancestry in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 10:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,989,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitofEndearment View Post
I don't have full faith in self-reporting. The way I see it, English/WASP ancestry is going to get recorded the least cause if you have even a bit of other heritage, you're more likely to identify with and list that, in my opinion. For example, I'd say at least 90% of African-Americans are of English descent. Most white ethnics have intermarried by now, or many, and all it takes is one distant English ancestor. I say I would have to be convinced by a LOT of data to believe anything other than the fact that English ancestry is the most common (and most underreported) ancestry in the USA.
Except that's only one ancestor. As to white ethnics intermarrying, yes, but they may intermarry with each other instead of someone with English ancestry.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:02 AM

350 posts, read 608,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitofEndearment View Post
90 % it's pretty high, I'd say it's more like 20 % of African Americans who have English/Scots ancestry. Some scientific analysis indicates that current African Americans inherit about 1417.7% of their ancestry from Europeans, the most common "non-black" mix is English and Scots-Irish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Except that's only one ancestor. As to white ethnics intermarrying, yes, but they may intermarry with each other instead of someone with English ancestry.
I kinda feel that because you come from the Northeast, you think English ancestry may not be as numerous in the all country because it's no longer the largest ancestry there, am i right ?

Old 10-29-2013, 02:34 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,753,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtonfordbury View Post
A lot of the "Scots-Irish" or "American" people in the southeast are actually English, usually from the north country bordering Scotland. I think English ancestry is taken for granted for some people. People want to claim "German", "Italian", or "Swedish", or "Cherokee", when English is probably somewhere down the line.
That's a good explanation. And if it's not too "bland", the English are perceived to be "upper class" while the Scots and Scots-Irish are seen to be more working class salt of the earth types.

[/quote]Any one with roots in NYC probably has some English ancestry. Boston as well. I think having a name like "Smith" or some other English name is seen as common/boring. People tend to want to be uncommon.[/quote]

Almost certainly not. The majority of whites in the NYC area are Jewish, Italian and Irish. These successive immigrant waves dwarfed the original "WASP" population.

In the Boston area English-origin Yankees (even if we add in later British and Canadian immigrants of English origin) would be outnumbered by Irish Americans.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:23 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
I kinda feel that because you come from the Northeast, you think English ancestry may not be as numerous in the all country because it's no longer the largest ancestry there, am i right ?
Might be. But where is English the largest in the country outside of the south? Actually, in rural New England and a few parts of bordering upstate NY, English is the largest ancestry. Much less German than English. Might not be where I currently live, but go 20 miles and it is. Go down into the bigger metros of the Notheast, and besides maybe Boston, English wouldn't be even in the top 4 or 5.

Also, English could be the largest ancestry when totaling up the whole country. But I was correcting statments like most whites who call themselves "ethnic" have an English ancestor. Doubt it.

Here's a map of New England:

via

File:New England ancestry by county - updated.png - Wikimedia Commons

Last edited by nei; 10-29-2013 at 09:02 AM..

Old 10-29-2013, 09:09 AM

12,426 posts, read 11,929,235 times
Speaking personally, I'm 1/2 German, 1/4 Irish, 1/8 English, 1/16 Swedish, and 1/16 Sephardic. Most of this is known with a high degree of accuracy. As far as I know, only one of my great-great-great grandparents was born in the United States. Outside of the South and a few other areas (northern New England and Utah mostly) I think most white Americans can source the majority of their ancestry to post-colonial (and thus likely non-English) sources.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:20 AM

12,426 posts, read 11,929,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
90 % it's pretty high, I'd say it's more like 20 % of African Americans who have English/Scots ancestry. Some scientific analysis indicates that current African Americans inherit about 1417.7% of their ancestry from Europeans, the most common "non-black" mix is English and Scots-Irish.
Most of the admixture is probably English. "Scotch-Irish" didn't tend to have many slaves, both because they settled in the uplands and they tended to be from a lower economic stratum and couldn't afford them.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:42 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,753,027 times
Quote:
Also, English could be the largest ancestry when totaling up the whole country. But I was correcting statments like most whites who call themselves "ethnic" have an English ancestor. Doubt it.
Yes in the NYC area and Wisconsin, Minnesota and the Dakotas English ancestry is pretty rare. It's pretty common almost everywhere else. I think it's impossible to believe there are actually more Americans of German than English ancestry. There were at least five times as many people of English ancestry than German in colonial America, giving the English a massive headstart. As I said earlier in the thread, there were 8 million people in the US born in Germany or with one or two German-born parents in the 1900 census, out of a total population of 76 million (and 67 million whites). Most German immigration occurred 1830-1890 (with a peak in the 1880s), which means that a majority at the descendants of these immigrants would still have been first or second generation. Even if you add in the third- and fourth-generations, colonial German descendants, and the Germans from Russia that went to Kansas and the Dakotas it couldn't have been more than 15 million or about 20% of the population. Given that the southern and eastern European immigration hadn't peaked yet in 1900, at least half of white Americans - maybe 35 million - would have been of colonial stock. That yields about 20 million of English ancestry off the bat. Adding in 19th century immigration from England and of Canadians of English origin, brings up to maybe 25 million. Also the denial of German heritage changing of names, etc. occurred mostly during the anti-German hysteria of World War I. In 1900 it's likely that about half of German Americans were still speaking German at home.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:22 PM

350 posts, read 608,171 times
Quote:
Might be. But where is English the largest in the country outside of the south ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Outside of the South and a few other areas (northern New England and Utah mostly) I think most white Americans can source the majority of their ancestry to post-colonial (and thus likely non-English) sources.
I'd also say English is the largest ancestry in the Pacific Northwest. In 1980, it was tight between English and German ancestry:

the West: English: 23,8 % / German 20,6 %
Washington: English: 27,2 % / German: 26,8 %
Oregon: English: 29,2 % / German: 28,8 %
Idaho: English 36,8 % / Idaho 24,5 %

Now, German is the largest ancestry in all of those states (tied with English at 18 % in Idaho) but the percentages of people with American ancestry is quite visible too, 8.4 % in Idaho and 5 % in Oregon. Since the percentage of German ancestry remained fairly stable, although it has dropped slightly, we can assume that people who consider themselves of American ancestry are mostly those who considered themselves of English ancestry in 1980. It's the same situation as in the south but less visible.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:04 PM

Today, adding up American + English for Washington gives 16.1%*. German is 19.9%. People may have changed their response from 30 years ago. But the population living in Washington isn't the same as the population there 30 years ago. The Pacific Northwest has gotten a high amount of domestic transplants in the last 30 years. If a high portion of them are from the Midwest, it makes sense that German % could have increased and English decreased.

*Since people can give multiple responses, it might not be accurate to add them up. But it's likely few people who respond "American" would also respond "English".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.