Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2013, 09:30 AM

581 posts, read 968,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
What about people like me, who are mixtures of both-along with Irish, Scottish, Welsh, French, Swiss, and many others (I'm sure)?

Point being-there are many millions of Americans whose ancestries are so diluted and mixed that it's impossible to say for sure where "English" stops and "German" begins.
Yeah i'm not sure how I would answer a survey on my ancestry or whatever. I can claim ancestry from pretty much all of Northern and Western Europe. I guess the only ancestry I still follow any of the traditions of is Swedish, but still...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 07:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
What about people like me, who are mixtures of both-along with Irish, Scottish, Welsh, French, Swiss, and many others (I'm sure)?

Point being-there are many millions of Americans whose ancestries are so diluted and mixed that it's impossible to say for sure where "English" stops and "German" begins.
And then there's the thing that not all Brits are "pure" British, and not all Germans are "pure" German. The peoples of Europe have been mixing it up for millennia now.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:23 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,017 times
There was an article in the NY Times recently about the comeback of (hard) (dry) cider. That was once America's most popular drink, but beer surpassed it (attributed largely to the Germans and their lager-drinking ways).

Old 11-15-2013, 04:30 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,068 times
^
Interesting, there is a regional cider-drinking culture in Germany too, in the Frankfurt region (southern part of Hesse), where it's called "Apfelwein" or "Appelwoi" in the local dialect.

AFAIK this has never been transplanted to the US German communities, and is in fact fairly difficult to find even as an import.

@@@@

The English/Scots also brewed ale. In fact the first beer brewed here in Dayton was made by someone of I think Scots ancestry (Harries?) and it was an ale.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:48 AM

30 posts, read 29,095 times
This thread is going off course...

Old 11-15-2013, 06:01 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
Ok I take your challenge..

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/1249/wcrm.png = American
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/5460/qjha.png = italian
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/1687/m6rs.png = english
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/6616/0n8l.png = irish
http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/458/pwvs.png = german

The italian stick out as being a bit more tanned and almond/darker eyed, you can tell the southern european morph there.
american stick out more as not being a very defined european looks, the different structure of face of them all.
Irish female face has the typical rough masculine expression
The german face is more warm undertone although light skinned, lighter hair colo than others and overall the prettiest
The english female is a considerably more femenine version of the Irish.
This Traveler person hates Irish people. I always thought that South Americans liked Irish people but I guess I was wrong. Why is this clearly racist person not banned? I've put this bigot on my ignored list.

Last edited by Bernie20; 11-15-2013 at 06:17 AM..

Old 11-15-2013, 02:19 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,332,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
This Traveler person hates Irish people. I always thought that South Americans liked Irish people but I guess I was wrong. Why is this clearly racist person not banned? I've put this bigot on my ignored list.
He is particularly annoying.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
^
Interesting, there is a regional cider-drinking culture in Germany too, in the Frankfurt region (southern part of Hesse), where it's called "Apfelwein" or "Appelwoi" in the local dialect.

AFAIK this has never been transplanted to the US German communities, and is in fact fairly difficult to find even as an import.

@@@@

The English/Scots also brewed ale. In fact the first beer brewed here in Dayton was made by someone of I think Scots ancestry (Harries?) and it was an ale.
We have that in America, too. It's called Boone's Farm Apple Wine!

Old 11-20-2013, 10:04 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
That doesn't change anything, as multiple ancestry is included in the census.
So? A large number of Americans have (at best) only a vague idea of where their ancestors came from.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:30 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Quote:
So? A large number of Americans have (at best) only a vague idea of where their ancestors came from.
Assuming you're right (sounds like it from the threads), I never knew that was true until coming on the forum. It seems like an obvious thing to know to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.