U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2014, 02:46 PM

12,416 posts, read 11,920,328 times

Advertisements

Speaking personally

Paternal Grandfather: 1/2 German, 1/4th English, 1/4th Sephardic. His German grandparents were immigrants. His Sephardic grandfather (who passed himself off as "Portuguese" during his life) migrated from England, where the family had lived for several centuries. His English grandmother is a bit more mysterious, as she was a first wife who died while his mother was still young. But as they lived in Brooklyn, I don't think she was old-line colonial.

Paternal Grandmother: 1/2 German, 3/8 Irish, 1/8 English. The Irish (and English) sides clearly migrated to the U.S. in the 1860s. Her German grandmother was born in Germany. Her German grandfather was not, but his parents were.

Maternal Grandfather: 3/4ths Irish, 1/4th Swedish. His Swedish grandfather was a sailor, and migrated to the U.S. Two of his Irish grandparents had both parents born in Ireland. He had one grandmother whose family seem to be very "old Irish" in the U.S. They were Catholics who identified as Irish, but had Scottish surnames. This is the only known colonial ancestry I have.

Maternal Grandmother: 100% German. Both her parents immigrated from the same small ethic German village in Banat (in what's now Romania). I have information on that side of the family going back to the 1700s, and they don't seem to have ever mixed with Slavs, Hungarians, Romanians, or anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 04:56 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,994,279 times
Too hard to tell. Americans of English and German heritage have a look that is unique from both English and German.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,646 times
If we are to follow the genetic line rather than national identity, then the German peoples are by far the most prevalent in the United States. The English are for all intents and purposes German genetically, the Scandinavian's follow the same genetic lineage as well. The Scots and Irish also share the R1b genetic marker that made its way through what is now Germany to France to the British Isles to the United States. So if we are to follow the genetic markers those with the R1b(Germanic) marker make up roughly 60% of the United States. The story of the US is told through the English perspective because the British are who the US defeated. The story of those people however genetically should be told all the way back to the people around the Caspian Sea such as the Caucus region, hence Caucasians. Historians can try to white wash(pun intended) the history all they want but the genetics doesn't lie.

Last edited by dlc593; 02-10-2014 at 01:41 PM..

Old 02-13-2014, 12:26 PM

350 posts, read 607,587 times
I wonder if the people who think there are more Germans also believe Irish ancestry is greater than English ancestry.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:00 AM

4 posts, read 8,981 times
Default Telling a difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Germans, Irish, English, Scottish, Dutch, Danish and Norwegian people all look very similar, I wonder if anyone could tell the differences simply by looking at their facial features?
I could tell a difference from say a Scotsman and Englishman--even more so between a Scotsman and a German.

It's all kind of strange.

First of all most English and Irish peoples are a mix of Celtic and Scandinavian/Germanic peoples with minor Roman influence in the London area.

The Celtic influence is more pronounced in the British Isles than almost anywhere else in Europe, followed by small pockets on the west coast of Europe (Netherlands, Belgium, France, Spain).

That Celtic influence mixed in with Scandinavian/Germanic genes makes for a very unique demographic found almost nowhere else except perhaps the Netherlands.

Even then, the Celtic influence (dark/red hair, freckles, hairy, etc.) is stronger in some areas (Scotland, Ireland, Wales) of the British Isles than in other areas (southeast England). This gives the British overall a rougher look--bigger stature and facial features. Whereas the Germans tend to be smaller framed, smaller eyes, and finer facial features. The incidence of blondness changes too--in north Germany you are more apt to find a lot of blondes along with their close relatives in the Netherlands, southern Denmark, and northeastern Poland. In southern Germany you find a higher concentration of Swabian Germans which means more concentration of darker haired peoples (southern Germany--i.e. Munich/Bavaria--is also known as being the economic powerhouse of Germany), along with their close relatives in Switzerland and eastern Austria. Not nearly as many redheads.

Dutch, Norwegians, and Danes (Anglia) I think would be the closest to look British because in many respects many of the original British peoples of Viking/Scandinavian roots came from these countries. along with some northern Germany (Saxony).

Old 10-06-2014, 06:34 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,717,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verutaus View Post
I could tell a difference from say a Scotsman and Englishman--even more so between a Scotsman and a German.

It's all kind of strange.

First of all most English and Irish peoples are a mix of Celtic and Scandinavian/Germanic peoples with minor Roman influence in the London area.

The Celtic influence is more pronounced in the British Isles than almost anywhere else in Europe, followed by small pockets on the west coast of Europe (Netherlands, Belgium, France, Spain).

That Celtic influence mixed in with Scandinavian/Germanic genes makes for a very unique demographic found almost nowhere else except perhaps the Netherlands.

Even then, the Celtic influence (dark/red hair, freckles, hairy, etc.) is stronger in some areas (Scotland, Ireland, Wales) of the British Isles than in other areas (southeast England). This gives the British overall a rougher look--bigger stature and facial features. Whereas the Germans tend to be smaller framed, smaller eyes, and finer facial features. The incidence of blondness changes too--in north Germany you are more apt to find a lot of blondes along with their close relatives in the Netherlands, southern Denmark, and northeastern Poland. In southern Germany you find a higher concentration of Swabian Germans which means more concentration of darker haired peoples (southern Germany--i.e. Munich/Bavaria--is also known as being the economic powerhouse of Germany), along with their close relatives in Switzerland and eastern Austria. Not nearly as many redheads.

Dutch, Norwegians, and Danes (Anglia) I think would be the closest to look British because in many respects many of the original British peoples of Viking/Scandinavian roots came from these countries. along with some northern Germany (Saxony).
Would you say northern England is essentially a Celtic-Norse mix?

Old 10-07-2014, 03:11 PM

175 posts, read 208,071 times
Most Americans are of multiple nationalities. In other words mutts! I am German on my mother's side. Irish/Scottish on my father's mother's side and Dutch, little bit French, little bit Spanish and a little bit Japanese on my father's father's side. I think that's why Americans cope better than other nationalities. We learned how to cope with people, different from us, since we were born!
I have known foreigners who think everyone is the same as in their country and come here and say they don't understand the people here. Some even get upset when there's nothing to be upset about, it's just people being the way they are in their own way.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:30 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,750,594 times
Ancestry, single ancestry:

German 48,483,905 16,360,394 33.7%
Irish 35,107,531 9,828,445 28%
English 26,361,532 9,368,175 35.5%
Italian 17,506,852 6,951,260 39.7%
Polish 9,670,205 3,307,759 34.2%
French 8,903,104 1,938,331 21.8%
Scottish 5,580,121 1,723,706 30.9%
Dutch 4,666,346 1,172,894 25.1%
Norwegian 4,514,318 1,467,211 32.5%
Swedish 4,155,453 1,002,925 24.1%

Old 10-07-2014, 03:34 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,750,594 times
According to Wikipedia, 53% of white Americans are of colonial stock and 47% are descended from post-1790 immigrants, but there is no source is given and I'm not sure how they account for people with both, though my guess is they're counting anyone with a later immigrant ancestor in the latter category.

If 50% of white Americans are of colonial stock, it's impossible to believe there is more German than English ancestry.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:47 PM

1,524 posts, read 2,262,562 times
English. English ancestry is way, way under-reported.

To those who say that the Germans came in million:

The English came in droves too after independence. In fact more English people immigrated to America after independence than moved to their own colonial lands of Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa combined. This is in addition to the millions who had already come to colonial America and been having children for generations.

In addition this, the English settlers who came to America in the first place reproduced like rabbits. Life expectancy, food, and the availability of land were all much better than in England. It would be completely normal for them to have ten or twelve children in a family, so their numbers increased exponentially. An English family who settled in Virginia in 1630 now has countless descendants scattered across the nation.

So why are the English so under-reported? The reason the English are so under-reported is because they assimilated incredibly quickly and never stood out as an "ethnic" group. The English were and are unconsciously considered "regular" Americans, so people with one German grandparent calls himself German and the guy who is half Italian talks about being an Italian-American. These people are also English in addition to being German or Italian, etc, desptie the fact that they tend not to acknowledge the English ancestry. And this isn't counting African Americans who are on average about 20% northern European, and primarily English due to mixing during the era before mass non-British immigration. Remember that before the Civil War, the US was a very, very British country.

In my own family we always pointed out the "ethnic" European ancestry (Dutch, French, German, Irish) but when my mother finally researched our family tree back to the 1600's, it turns out we are very, very English. But if course we never acknowledged it until we researched our ancestry. Before doing our research, we would identify the one Irish surname, and identify with the known Dutch/German and French ancestors. I think this practice of ignoring the English ancestry in favor of more "exotic" ancestry is common in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.