U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2014, 03:59 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,989 posts, read 42,008,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
There are no Germans that have colonial stock.
Pennsylvania had a large German population at the time of the revolution. I've met several whose ancestors were Germans and had been there since the early 1700s.

Quote:
America, whether in movies, or language, will always be a British Isles/Irish, African, and yes , a Red Indian country. Most Germans, as with Jews, Italians, Czech`s arrived in 1865, after the War of independence and the Civil War, ( basically when all the turmoil and bloodshot was over) America`s image was set then, as a tough country of equal opportunity, In my eyes every immigrant after that is not a true American.
That's the most extreme nativist view I've heard.

Last edited by nei; 11-01-2014 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: fixed quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 04:36 PM

1,068 posts, read 737,526 times
If you watch the Civil War documentary ( all 20 hours of it) you will be struck at how all characters are British Isles/Scotch/Irish/ African, from the soldiers, generals to the President. There were some Germans ( I would say more Dutch) in PA back then, but America`s foundation was not built by the Germans, Czech`s , Swedes, French, Chinese, Spanish, Jews ( Hollywood), Italians, Mexicans; I am afraid to say.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:41 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
If you watch the Civil War documentary ( all 20 hours of it) you will be struck at how all characters are British Isles/Scotch/Irish/ African, from the soldiers, generals to the President. There were some Germans ( I would say more Dutch) in PA back then, but America`s foundation was not built by the Germans, Czech`s , Swedes, French, Chinese, Spanish, Jews ( Hollywood), Italians, Mexicans; I am afraid to say.
Mostly true, they didn't build America's foundation. They have added layers atop the foundation, stronger in some regions than others. Making America what it is today.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:46 PM

350 posts, read 608,543 times
Quote:
German Americans in civil war

There weren't just some Germans, they were the largest ethnic to fight in the civil war after Americans.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:18 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,626,304 times
Quote:
There are no Germans that have colonial stock. America, whether in movies, or language, will always be a British Isles/Irish, African, and yes , a Red Indian country. Most Germans, as with Jews, Italians, Czech`s arrived in 1865, after the War of independence and the Civil War, ( basically when all the turmoil and bloodshot was over) America`s image was set then, as a tough country of equal opportunity, In my eyes every immigrant after that is not a true American.
The most distant relative on any branch of my family tree that was the earliest to set foot on North American soil(that we know about) was a German preacher who settled in Pennsylvania in 1699 from Hesse-there's several other Germans in my bloodline the early 1700s that we know of that immigrated as well.

I guess a lot of the rest ancestry makes me not a "true American" as half my lineage are Polish immigrants who came after the magical dividing line of the Civil War...

Old 11-01-2014, 05:51 PM

America then is not the America of now, layer, or no layer. There is a distinct line of the Civil War that's for sure. Of course, 5%- 8% of the country were of German, Dutch, Polish? but I`m afraid very little, ( PA is only a tiny part of America) even at the time of the Civil War. These countries are just a layer, that's it, no more.
I`m sorry it hurts most current Americans of non-British Isles/Irish descent do not have a deep bond touching 300 years. I also don`t understand why the civil war is barely mentioned in modern America, yet popular in Britain. I just think our roots run a wee bit deeper.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:08 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,626,304 times
Quote:
America then is not the America of now, layer, or no layer. There is a distinct line of the Civil War that's for sure. Of course, 5%- 8% of the country were of German, Dutch, Polish? but I`m afraid very little, ( PA is only a tiny part of America) even at the time of the Civil War. These countries are just a layer, that's it, no more.
I`m sorry it hurts most current Americans of non-British Isles/Irish descent do not have a deep bond touching 300 years. I also don`t understand why the civil war is barely mentioned in modern America, yet popular in Britain. I just think our roots run a wee bit deeper.
Most Americans are mutts, so one is likely to have ancestors who came at a lot of different times.(You should know that since you're apparently an expert on American genealogy.) I have English, German, Scots-Irish, Irish Catholic, Swiss, a little Native American and who knows what else on my dads side of my family who came anywhere from 1700 to the late 19th Century--and actually the English immigrant who is our families namesake didn't immigrate until years after the Revolutionary War. At this point though everyone in my family is all just "Americans".

But honestly, I don't think you care that much--as a new poster, you seem a little suspicious. I think you're just here to stir the pot.

Last edited by Deezus; 11-01-2014 at 06:18 PM..

Old 11-01-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Most Americans are mutts, so one is likely to have ancestors who came at a lot of different times.(You should know that since you're apparently an expert on American genealogy.)
The Northeast, in particular the NYC metro has a proportion of whites whose ancestry dates back to no later than the 19th century.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:57 PM

Your not even a member and I`m not here to stir this pot. At least the true Americans ( British descent) call themselves Americans ( Remember the Alamo), not Eyetalian American, Oirish American or German American. You must have more confidence in yourselves. You are American, that's it. Accept it.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:03 PM

Scotch-Irish, come from Ulster. Planters sent by King James of Scottish, and North English descent. ( Cumbria, Northumberland and the Cheviots) and these are protestant. Even Chuck Norris could not figure this out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.