U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2014, 04:21 PM

1,068 posts, read 735,315 times

Advertisements

You keep saying the British want to make America British. I have lived here ( London) for 40 years and see no evidence. You are either hung up on something and clearly German, or Jewish descent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 04:21 PM

349 posts, read 606,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
German, and that is without taking into account how many germans changed their last names and anglified them during WWII.\
it's also much more exotic and exciting to say you're german in the US, while british is sort of meh
See that's the problem about anglicized names, people assume every Anglo surnames have been changed. I'm sure if you go to places with high German concentration you'll find plenty Schneider, Muller or Wagner. Names like Smith, Williams or Brown were popular even before the US was a nation, so even without the anglicized names and African Americans, I wouldn't be surprised to see those names in the top 10 of most common surnames.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:29 PM

1,068 posts, read 735,315 times
I agree, I don`t think Germans would change their surnames, unless they were insecure, I do believe that German/Czech/Polish Jews would ( Chicago, PA, Gary). This is a myth that current US Germans seem to want to portray. ( Remember Germany didn't exist in the 18th centuary) it was a collection of states. ( By the way I love the Bro Grimm and want to go to Bavaria), so I am not anti-German just get peeeed off with Germanic-Americans flexin their muscles.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:29 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,748,793 times
England Dan is right that there is more English ancestry than German in the US, but I'm not sure about why he feels the need to bash Germany and Germans and bring Jews into this.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:01 AM

12,414 posts, read 11,910,584 times
A lot of Germans who migrated in colonial times did "Anglify" their names (there are several cases of this in my wife's father's family line, which is entirely colonial), but this wasn't the case with later migrants, especially those who migrated to the U.S. after the Civil War.

As I said upthread, I have no doubt, considering that most people who list "American" or "Scotsh-Irish" as their ancestry are predominantly English, that there is more English than German ancestry in the U.S. overall. But once you discount the U.S. South (which, outside of New Orleans and Texas Hill Country, had very little European migration in the 19th and 20th centuries), I'm not sure it would be true that English ancestry is overall more dominant. Certainly not in the Midwest. Possibly in the Northeast, although other immigrant groups (Irish, Italians, Jews, and French Canadians) diluted the English ancestry. And the west tends to be all over the map, but besides among Mormons (who are descendants of old-stock New England Yankees) English ancestry is not very highly reported.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:10 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,921,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
As I said upthread, I have no doubt, considering that most people who list "American" or "Scotsh-Irish" as their ancestry are predominantly English, that there is more English than German ancestry in the U.S. overall.
To nitpick, it should be predominately British, not English as someone of Scotch-Irish or Scotch descent is British but not English.

Quote:
But once you discount the U.S. South (which, outside of New Orleans and Texas Hill Country, had very little European migration in the 19th and 20th centuries), I'm not sure it would be true that English ancestry is overall more dominant. Certainly not in the Midwest. Possibly in the Northeast, although other immigrant groups (Irish, Italians, Jews, and French Canadians) diluted the English ancestry. And the west tends to be all over the map, but besides among Mormons (who are descendants of old-stock New England Yankees) English ancestry is not very highly reported.
Certainly New England has more English ancestry than German. New York and New Jersey might be about tied. Pennsylvania more German.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
To nitpick, it should be predominately British, not English as someone of Scotch-Irish or Scotch descent is British but not English.
The origins of modern Ulstermen tended to come roughly equally from Scotland and Northern England. In addition, it's likely when the Protestant "Irish" migrated to the U.S. and mixed with English settlers, the "Irish" identity tended to win out, as it was up through the early 19th century seen as a badge of pride for those in the highlands and backwoods.

And to be absolutely pedantic, all of Ireland is part of the British Isles, even if not currently part of the UK, so all Irish people are actually British.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Certainly New England has more English ancestry than German. New York and New Jersey might be about tied. Pennsylvania more German.
True. Growing up in Connecticut with my last name, everyone presumed I was Jewish, because the only people with German-sounding surnames were Jews. New England has a relatively small population though - only 14.6 million overall, while New York State alone has 19.6 million.

If you added up all the "crypto" English ancestry, I would guess that Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont are all still plurality English, but I don't think this would be the case for anywhere in Southern New England.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:38 PM

349 posts, read 606,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
A lot of Germans who migrated in colonial times did "Anglify" their names (there are several cases of this in my wife's father's family line, which is entirely colonial), but this wasn't the case with later migrants, especially those who migrated to the U.S. after the Civil War.

As I said upthread, I have no doubt, considering that most people who list "American" or "Scotsh-Irish" as their ancestry are predominantly English, that there is more English than German ancestry in the U.S. overall. But once you discount the U.S. South (which, outside of New Orleans and Texas Hill Country, had very little European migration in the 19th and 20th centuries), I'm not sure it would be true that English ancestry is overall more dominant. Certainly not in the Midwest. Possibly in the Northeast, although other immigrant groups (Irish, Italians, Jews, and French Canadians) diluted the English ancestry. And the west tends to be all over the map, but besides among Mormons (who are descendants of old-stock New England Yankees) English ancestry is not very highly reported.
English ancestry isn't very highly reported nowadays so I wouldn't take the census too seriously. If you look at the 1980 Census, the first time we asked people's ancestry, the percentages of English and German ancestry were very tight in western states, especially in the PNW. German were the largest in MT, WY and CO. English were the largest in UT, ID, OR, WA, NV, CA and AZ. I know of course that in thirty years the demography has changed.

Old 12-24-2014, 06:45 AM

Just saw this the other day, and thought of this thread.

23andme looked at the amount of "British/Irish" (they're close enough it's hard to disentangle them genetically) ancestry results for white Americans by state.

I think the map speaks for itself. Note that "Anglo" Americans are, on average, only majority British in a few southern states. But they are more than 20% in every single state.

Last edited by nei; 12-24-2014 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: fixed link

Old 12-24-2014, 08:03 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,921,149 times
Interesting. Is there data for other ancestries? What would someone whose ancestry is half British/Irish get counted as?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.