Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2016, 05:46 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,426,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zektor View Post
I do agree. Its hard for me to pick between Irish and English people, they are very similar looking (physically wise) . So claiming Irish/Welsh/Scots are celtic and English people are germanic is the biggest nosense ever. I would never confuse a group of englishmen with those from germanic countries (holland,sweden,denmark,germany,norway,etc ) the physical difference is quite noticeable. I think even some central-eastern europeans look more similar to germanics than Britishmen do.
Don't be a fool! The English are essentially Germanic people, but with Celtic admixture. Depending on the English region, Anglo-Saxon DNA may vary anywhere from 25% to 50%! If we look exclusively on the male line, the people of Central England may vary anywhere from 50-100% Germanic according to a study done in 2002 when comparing Welsh and Central English with those of Norway and Friesland (Netherlands). The English language, culture, law have all a Germanic/Teutonic origin. The First Germanic law written in a Germanic language other than Latin was the Anglo-Saxon laws. You need to be taught a lot. Being blond doesn't make one Germanic, rather culture or language. It would be hard for you to pick between a English or Irish person, because plenty of Irish. Welsh, Scottish people who live in England to begin with and others intermarried with the English too. However when we isolate those of predominantly English from those of the Celtic, we see the difference. Central-eastern Europeans don't look Germanic, rather they look like Germans who have Slavic admixtures or those of Slavic descent (Wends/Sorbs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 06:56 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,471,038 times
German!
Although it may seem like there are more English Americans(just due to cultural reasons) German-Americans are Americas largest ethic group. There are about 46 million Americans who claim german ancestry, that's almost as many people that live in the entire country of England. I'm half German-American and most of my family lives in PA and IL in very german areas. I also have some family that still lives in Germany and they tend to laugh when Americans describe themselves as German. I guess the better way to put it is that we are American with German roots.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:38 PM

Correct! Many people are ignorant! They keep on forgetting the largest ancestry group in the United States of America, beautiful land of ours is German-American which is also the largest White ethnic group.
According a 2013 report I am reading there were then 49,206,934 German-Americans. The largest wave of Germans immigrants coming to America was in the 19th century, due to civil unrest and high unemployment in their own country. Many integrated and anglicized their names to sound more English and avoid subtle discrimination they might have faced.
Irish-Americans are the second largest 35,523,082. There a mass exodus between the 1820 to the 1920's to the U.S. approximately 4.5 million Irish came to live in America. Many Irish faced also discrimination because of their Catholic faith in a country which strongly favored Protestantism. The "red hair" stereotype came because a large part of the Irish people came from the southwest of Ireland, which is one of the most red-headed parts of Ireland (nearly 40% carry the red hair gene). Today in terms of numbers, America has the largest population of people who are naturally red-haired in the world, but not percentage-wise.
English-Americans are the third largest at 26,923,091. This was the dominating group for a long time, due to the fact that the original 13 American colonies from where America sprang out of were chiefly settled by the English. The original American laws have their foundations in the English law.
There are also a group of Whites who classify only as Americans, especially in the South, due to the fact they are most likely not able to trace their lineages correctly. Most of these people have British Isles or other Northwestern European ancestry (German, Dutch, Scandinavian) This group comes at 19,911,467.
Other major groups of Whites are Italians, Polish, French (not Basques!), Scottish and so on.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:46 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,840 times
Quote:
I do agree. Its hard for me to pick between Irish and English people, they are very similar looking (physically wise) . So claiming Irish/Welsh/Scots are celtic and English people are germanic is the biggest nosense ever. I would never confuse a group of englishmen with those from germanic countries (holland,sweden,denmark,germany,norway,etc ) the physical difference is quite noticeable. I think even some central-eastern europeans look more similar to germanics than Britishmen do.
Non-rhetorical question: how did the multigenerational Anglo-Americans in the 1900's northeast decipher who was Irish and who was English? All that "No Irish allowed" history and anti-Irish discrimination must have meant there was some phenotypical difference between them, right?

Old 04-13-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
England is 75% Celtic and 25% Germanic, North England, West England, Wales, Scotland a lot lot less. The English language is old English, Latin, Celtic ( London) is Celtic also French . England is part of the British Isles not a German cousin or love child
False! As a whole the British (English+Welsh+Scottish) are no less than 30% Anglo-Saxon (this is according to recent DNA studies), though in parts of England it is higher. The English Germanic cousins are the Dutch, Danes and northwest Germans, lands were the Anglo-Saxons came from. There were Celtic people in western Germany too. Not all Germany was original Germanic land, only the north! Do not confuse Germanic with Germany. Your claim of the "pasty, unfit look" for the British is actually healthy and good for the adaptation to the gloomy climate of Northwest Europe. A pale skin is actually good for such climate in order to produce more Vitamin D which is vital for health. This is why we have such high percentage of people who carry the red hair gene in northern Britain (over 25%), many of these people even when dark-haired have a pale complexion.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:16 PM

399 posts, read 820,256 times
Ah my favorite thread

Can somebody explain me why there's always someone who says English are Germanic people so there are Germans. We know that but we talk about current nationality/ancestry not that far back or else we could also say that the first Germanic peoples have origins in southern Scandinavia so then they are all Scandinavian.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
Ah my favorite thread

Can somebody explain me why there's always someone who says English are Germanic people so there are Germans. We know that but we talk about current nationality/ancestry not that far back or else we could also say that the first Germanic peoples have origins in southern Scandinavia so then they are all Scandinavian.
I will explain that to you. It is very easy. Firstly do not confuse the terms Germanic and Germany. Germanic is term for the Germanic languages which is found in larger place than Germany, O.K.
Germanic people are the Austrians, Danish, Dutch, English, Flemish, Frisians, Germans as well, Lowland Scottish, Norwegians, Swedish, Swiss-Germans and their descendants who settled in the New World, Oceania, Southern Africa. Indeed their origins are from southern Scandinavia, precisely Denmark and southern Sweden. We could call the first Germanic, Proto-Germanics. Nevertheless, these people split into three principal groups Western Germanic, Eastern Germanic and North Germanic.
The Western Germanic split even further into three branches, the North Sea Germanic/Ingvaeonic, Weser-Rhine Germanic/Istvaeonic and lastly the Elbe-Germanic/Irminonic. The English, Frisians, Lowland Scottish Germanic ancestors came from the Ingvaeonic branch, the Germanic tribes living along the North Sea coastal areas of Jutland, Holstein, Frisia and the Danish Islands, these later became known as the Frisii, Saxons, Jutes and Angles. The ancient Cimbri, Teutons and Chauci also belonged to the Ingvaeonic branch of the Western Germanics. Ingvaeon are the Ingwine or in other words "friends of the Ing". In the poem of Beowulf, we find that Hrothgar is "Lord of the Ingwine". Always put in mind that the Germanic people also intermixed with other peoples they met as they expanded their their territories such as Celts, Saamis, Finns, Balts, Slavs, etc...
In the case of the English and the Lowland Scots, it was the Celtic-speaking Brythons with whom they progressively interbred with. Though in the beginning, Celtic people were progressively pushed to the west into what is now Wales, Cornwall and north-west, as well as other parts of Scotland and so forth. In the Netherlands, there was also intermixture with Celtic-speaking tribes who were pushed to the south. In Germany much more admixtures, Celts, Slavs, Balts, Huns as well. In Scandinavia, there admixtures with Finns and Saamis as the North Germanics moved north. Thus this myth of "Germanic purity" is nonsense! Germanic people incorporated conquered people within their realms.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
Ah my favorite thread

The Dutch, Flemish for example belong to the Istvaeonic/Weser-Rhine branch of the Western Germanic group. From that group sprung the Frankish confederation. The reason why we do not call all Germanic people Scandinavian, is only to differentiate them from the modern Scandinavian people of Norway, Sweden and Denmark who are predominantly from the North Germanic/Norse group, it is this group which remained in Scandinavia the longest.
The ancient Goths, Vandals, Burgundians, Lombards belong to the East Germanic group, which is today virtually extinct, they lived in southern Sweden and northern Poland.
Below is a map of where Germanic tribes were located

Old 04-15-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Northern Europeans are quite similar anyway, the difference between Celtic and Germanic are by no means great at all. That's why it is also difficult for you to tell the Irish and English apart, because their Northern European ancestors were similar to begin with. You lied when you said, you would never confuse them.

1.) Welsh (Celtic/Brittonic!)

2.) German (Germanic/Teutonic!)

3.) Irish (Celtic/Gaelic!)

4.) Welsh

5. German

6. Irish

Last edited by saxonwold; 04-15-2016 at 05:55 PM..

Old 04-17-2016, 11:46 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,058 times
The English and lowland Scots are not effing Germanic u might be, just watched Leicester supporters the yoke of England and they look Welsh and Northern Irish no different , the Germanic/Teutonic empire ends in Hamburg just move on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.