Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 01:52 PM

5 posts, read 12,038 times

Advertisements

Here is a little about me, i currently live in Oklahoma City, been here all of my life and regrettably, since my 20's I've spent most of that time in debt, working paycheck to paycheck. By working two jobs I have recently gotten out of debt and have been able to save over 10K in savings. Im wanting a fresh start in a new city. There are some things that are really important to me that i will list, wanted to get some ideas from anyone on suggestive cities I may want to move to.

Job background is in customer service/sales management. 10+ years
Great references.

place where i can find a safe area nice 1br apartment for $800 or less

I am looking for an urban big city, good singles scene, a fit and active city, quality gyms.

Huge sportbike culture with nearby tracks for track days. I love motorcycles.
Major airshows in the area

Great nightlife, mix of dance clubs and bars.

Running trails, great parks

access to watersports such a jet sking, ocean would be nice.

lots of sunshine, no snow or bitter cold weather months out of the year

not a city known for allergies

sports teams and major concerts.

A theatre and film community

Last edited by tylergreen; 05-01-2010 at 02:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 02:15 PM

489 posts, read 1,324,734 times
Are all of these things absolute necessities? Because it seems like you've eliminated most of the country with your list. No snow means you're limited to the south/southwest/ west, but you want a liberal area so that takes away most of the south. You want non touristy, so that eliminates most urban areas in Florida and California. Based off this list, maybe Austin, TX would work. It seems to meet your requirements, and also is known for having a strong economy.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:21 PM

liberal area and non tourist isnt a necessity, would be nice, but you are right about the liberal area, i realize that most of that area is not the warmer areas.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:26 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
Pittsburgh, PA

Pittsburgh Hotels, Attractions & Vacation Packages : Pittsburgh PA CVB

Old 05-01-2010, 02:50 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
What about San Antonio, maybe the Raleigh-Durham NC area, Knoxville and Nashville TN?

Old 05-01-2010, 03:42 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,212,438 times
The best cities for singles are mostly in the north and will have colder weather - places like New York, Chicago, and Philly. These places are good because they have dense urban districts that are filled with single people and you will be guaranteed to be surrounded with the demographic that you are looking for. San Francisco is one city like that where it does not get really cold.

If you want someplace warmer than go with southern California. San Diego and LA both have a large amount of singles, with a lot of the beach areas being hot spots for singles.

With your price point it's kind of tricky though, but you could possibly live someplace like Chicago or Philly without a car and add the savings toward your rent. I would figure $1000+ for rent in a neighborhood that would suit you best.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:46 PM

i have actually thought of a bigger city in Texas like San Antonio, Austin. Not having a car is not an option, it is amazing how much rent can be in some of these bigger cities. Right now Texas is kinda high on my list. I would love to move to SD CA but the price of rent is enormous. Never really looked into NC, raleigh area. hmmmm thanks for that suggestion

Old 05-01-2010, 09:58 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergreen View Post
i have actually thought of a bigger city in Texas like San Antonio, Austin. Not having a car is not an option, it is amazing how much rent can be in some of these bigger cities. Right now Texas is kinda high on my list. I would love to move to SD CA but the price of rent is enormous. Never really looked into NC, raleigh area. hmmmm thanks for that suggestion
San Antonio is a family city. Not much of a singles scene. Austin would be a better choice if you are looking into Texas.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:24 AM

657 posts, read 1,504,668 times
San Diego. I'm sure that you can find a place there in a "middle of the road" neighborhood that the rent is cheaper. You'll be close to the ocean and around a lot of people who are very active, fit and in shape. Politically San Diego may not be as liberal as LA or San Francisco, but it's California -- you know the people there are laid back and religion is not a defining characteristic of your net worth. Plus, you'll probably be earning more for the same job than you were earning in Oklahoma. The jobs will pay more out there.

Also, if you're in shape you could take a part-time job as a trainer in a gym. Just an idea.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:11 PM

489 posts, read 1,324,734 times
That's not true about San Diego. There are no decent places for $800. for $1000-1200, you can get into the so-so areas. I lived in SD for 5 years and loved it, but it's not an affordable area by any means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.