U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:04 PM

705 posts, read 1,444,503 times

Advertisements

Anyone watch this show on the travel channel? Its on tonight, showcasing the midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 10:22 AM

2,097 posts, read 5,878,824 times
Saw it.. but was it midwest? It had some midwest cities, but also Austin, TX. Did I watch the wrong episode?

Old 07-14-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Saw it.. but was it midwest? It had some midwest cities, but also Austin, TX. Did I watch the wrong episode?
Ya I noticed it had Texas, it was advertised here as Middle America, Heartland,Midwest. Oh well, I thought it was entertaining and shed some light on some of the good things going on in the middle of the country

Old 07-14-2010, 12:02 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,157,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
Ya I noticed it had Texas, it was advertised here as Middle America, Heartland,Midwest. Oh well, I thought it was entertaining and shed some light on some of the good things going on in the middle of the country
I saw it and thought it was cool. For Milwaukee, he could have chosen to showcase something a little edgier than Lake Park Bistro, but then again, Adam Siegel won Best Chef Midwest in 2008 from the James Beard Foundation, so that's probably why he chose it.

My favorite part was Biker Jim. I used to eat brats from there all the time when I lived in Denver. What they didn't say on the show was that he caramelizes his onions in Coca-Cola, which makes them even better. My favorite was probably the elk or the pheasant.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
I saw it and thought it was cool. For Milwaukee, he could have chosen to showcase something a little edgier than Lake Park Bistro, but then again, Adam Siegel won Best Chef Midwest in 2008 from the James Beard Foundation, so that's probably why he chose it.

My favorite part was Biker Jim. I used to eat brats from there all the time when I lived in Denver. What they didn't say on the show was that he caramelizes his onions in Coca-Cola, which makes them even better. My favorite was probably the elk or the pheasant.
Ya I do not think you could go wrong with any of the places he visited, I personally enjoyed the school, where they produced sausages, salami, ect.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:30 PM

2,097 posts, read 5,878,824 times
To be honest, Columbus really doesn't have good food at all.. atleast compared to Cleveland. But I still love watching his show. Even when he came to Cleveland, he didn't really go to the top places. Can't blame him though, I'm sure he does mainly what the station tells him in terms of where to go.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
To be honest, Columbus really doesn't have good food at all.. atleast compared to Cleveland. But I still love watching his show. Even when he came to Cleveland, he didn't really go to the top places. Can't blame him though, I'm sure he does mainly what the station tells him in terms of where to go.
When they were eating sushi, his companion said "We're in Applebees country" I don't know if he was refering to that part of town or the city?

Old 07-14-2010, 02:46 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,362,032 times
I watched it, they had MPLS on it!

Old 07-14-2010, 02:53 PM

3,851 posts, read 9,455,842 times
I love Tony Bourdain and have my DVR set to record all episodes of No Reservations. I didn't have any idea that Austin was going to be on when the title of the show was "Midwest". I immediately looked up Perla's on yelp and one reviewer said they were trying to go before the show aired because it was going to be impossible afterwards. I'm glad he showcased some of our quirky but great "trailer" eateries. They've sprung up all over town and serve a wide variety of reasonably priced foods. Overall, it was a good show but I like it better when he focuses as much on the culture of a place as the food - this one was primarily food.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:22 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,509,943 times
I set my DVR to record his show as well, but I don't like how he has a slight, just-enough-to-not-get-himself-in-trouble condescending attitude toward the US off of the coasts. He used the word "actually" a few too many times for me to take this episode seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.