Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 08:53 PM

27 posts, read 104,404 times

Advertisements

I will be a freshman in college this year, and I have lived in Kentucky my whole life. I do not like it here, and I have had many years to identify the things that I DO want in a town. I still have eight years of school in front of me though, as I am going to become a veterinarian.

The places I feel most drawn to are the western coasts of Washington, Oregon, and Northern California. I also like some of the New England area. I want a place where there are fields, farms, forests, and wildlife, but I don't want a small town. I want a place where big city and country come together. Since I am going to be an All-Animal Vet, and animals are my passion, this is the most important. I am going to have lots of animals; dogs, cats, ducks, chickens,etc. I also want to be in a place where I will be treating a variety of animals, not just dogs and cats.

I don't like places with bad storms or natural disasters, such as frequent tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc. I LOVE the rain. I want a place where people are tolerant, and there is not too much crime. I don't want to be right up against my neighbor, but I don't want to be isolated either. Right now we have 3 1/2 acres, and I would like to have at least that where I am going to be living as an adult, hopefully more than that. Nothing too big though.

I am a Christian, and religion is important to me. However, I don't want it to be too conservative and intolerant like the place I live now. I am also very family oriented and would like a place where I can get married and have children.

Is there actually a place like this? A place where the weather is relatively calm, people are relatively friendly, and the fields, the mountains, and the big city meet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 10:37 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,780,083 times
Think about Bellingham Washington, located on the coast near the Canadian border. The town is large enough to have all the business you’d need, plus animals, yet there is a rural nature of countryside. You’ll have the mountains, ocean, country fields, a mid sized community, and they have a college in town as well. There are nearby hiking trails, mountain camping, boating on the lake or out in the ocean. It has everything to include the “rain” you like.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Bellin...ashington.html

Old 07-13-2010, 10:44 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,729,898 times
Virginia, maybe Faquier county - Horse country too

Old 07-14-2010, 04:37 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,141,865 times
As far as New England goes, it sounds like you'd like something in the vicinity of Burlington, Vermont. I'm not sure if that city is large enough for you, but it is relatively close to Montreal as well. The only caveat is that you'd have to be able to deal with colder and snowier winters than the Pacific Northwest.

Otherwise, the area seems to fit your description perfectly.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:55 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,809,949 times
Anywhere along I-5 from Redding, CA, west to the coast and northward up to Canada, or anywhere in Eastern Washington/North Idaho near Spokane or Coeur d'Alene.

However, acreage comes at more of a premium in the West, so be prepared for that.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:03 AM

10,138 posts, read 15,958,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartie_Pants View Post
Is there actually a place like this? A place where the weather is relatively calm, people are relatively friendly, and the fields, the mountains, and the big city meet?
Earthquakes don't happen to the magnitude and as often as one think.

San Francisco, San Jose, Oakland sound like your ideal place. You have the very dense city option, the very sports city option, & a spread out yet still big city option. (San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose) and in between you can find plenty of places that are spread out living, with tons of natural scenery. Mountains, Lakes, the Bay all come together.
A lot of wildlife too.

It's the closest thing to your ideal place.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:22 AM

92,223 posts, read 122,497,241 times
You might like the major areas in Upstate NY, as you can be out in the country from the city within 15-20 minutes in most cases. It's pretty much a moderate part of the state and we don't get natural disasters, except for maybe a serious snowstorm now and then.

Actually, Upstate NY colleges like Cornell University and SUNY-Morrisville might be a couple of schools to consider. Cornell Veterinary Medicine
Programs of Study - Academics - Morrisville State College

You can get homes with that much land not too far from the major or "mid-major" cities in Upstate Ny too. Here's some examples not too far from Syracuse: Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more

Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more

Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more

Keep in mind that all of these properties are within the same county as Syracuse, with some close to smaller cities as well. There are others in this and other areas of Upstate NY too.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:39 PM

2,514 posts, read 5,002,990 times
Look into the veterinary medicine program at Oregon State University in Corvallis. You'll love the Willamette Valley.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:12 AM

635 posts, read 1,535,745 times
You sound like you would like the Bay. Or at least that spot between the Bay and Sacramento.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:42 AM

92,223 posts, read 122,497,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You might like the major areas in Upstate NY, as you can be out in the country from the city within 15-20 minutes in most cases. It's pretty much a moderate part of the state and we don't get natural disasters, except for maybe a serious snowstorm now and then.

Actually, Upstate NY colleges like Cornell University and SUNY-Morrisville might be a couple of schools to consider. Cornell Veterinary Medicine
Programs of Study - Academics - Morrisville State College

You can get homes with that much land not too far from the major or "mid-major" cities in Upstate Ny too. Here's some examples not too far from Syracuse: Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more

Keep in mind that all of these properties are within the same county as Syracuse, with some close to smaller cities as well. There are others in this and other areas of Upstate NY too.
By the way, are you talking about an image like this:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.