Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 10:08 AM

11 posts, read 20,765 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I'm a 23 year old freelance photographer, I'm from London originally but am moving to the States in September. I'm looking for a cosmopolitan, livable city that has a good public transport system, a strong artistic community, and good business opportunities. Does anyone have any suggestions where this might be found, going on their own experiences etc?
One thing I am fairly certain of is that I wouldn't want to live in New York (Manhattan) - it's too crowded and expensive- I know it fairly well, and although it's an amazing place, it was like London on steroids in terms of frenetic-ness! I have been recommended Seattle and Portland so far.. any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading -Ben
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 10:14 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Chicago and Denver come to mind.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:12 AM

154 posts, read 707,140 times
atlanta, dallas & philadelphia are all great options too. and as already mentioned, both chicago & seattle too.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:41 AM

673 posts, read 4,069,232 times
Denver is a very nice 20s oriented artistic, open community but its not cosmpolitan overall although it has been trying to become increasingly cosmopolitan as of late. I guess I am glad in my opinion Denver isnt and doesnt try to be hip like alot of others cities and just tries to be itself.
Denver for a metro area of near 3 million people is fairly reasonable priced and has widespread reginonal transit authority alot the routes though to outlying areas end early but they do have some routes that run well past midnight and the 15 east colfax runs 24hrs and is a very entertaining bus route to say the least and it also runs past some of the cities most interesting neighborhoods.

Also, you might like Minneapolis its got a cold climate but tons of artistic, cosmpolitan, open-minded people in that city. I would recommend South Minneapolis as Minneapolis has some very run-down areas but has some very, very great neighborhoods also its about a 3 million people metro area so its big and affordable for a large metro area also.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:07 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,287,888 times
Perhaps Philadelphia? It is inexpensive, has great public transportation and many great photo opportunities.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:15 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,612,132 times
I would vote for Portland,,and you will have no trouble getting used to the misty weather I think perhaps Seattle would fall under the "freneticness" you want to avoid in Manhatten

Old 06-12-2007, 09:28 PM

48 posts, read 291,627 times
Denver, Denver metro, Boulder, Colorado Springs, Ft. Collins, would be perfect. There are so many beautiful landscapes here that I'm not sure one could take them all in a lifetime.

Denver, being the biggest, has a decent public transportation system, and it gets better and better by the year. There are few places in the burbs that you could live in, and use the public transit to get to work everyday. But the highway system is fast, and getting downtown, to the some of the naitons best places for the arts, is not hard.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:17 PM

653 posts, read 3,408,133 times
Take a look at MADISON Wisconsin. A jewel of a city.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:32 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,115,902 times
Lots of good suggestions. You might also want to read a thread on artist towns,
here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...eck-woods.html

Several unusual cities and towns are discussed and it might give you some ideas.

Good luck!

Old 06-15-2007, 01:58 AM

11 posts, read 20,765 times
thanks for all your replies! Very helpful.. Portland sounds like it might be the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.