U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 12:30 AM

5,990 posts, read 11,571,893 times

Advertisements

Really, you're only saying that because you're from Wisconsin. The areas that you named are part of the Great Lakes/Rust Belt area, and have nothing to do with the Upper Midwest. Minnesota IS the center of the Upper Midwest. The Upper Midwest is the area that is MSP and Minnesota centric - The Dakotas, Western and northern Wisconsin, and the U.P. of Michigan (maybe the northern LP as well). The Rust Belt is NOT Upper Midwest. I know Wisconsin is Minnesota's rival, but why do you have to try to take this from us?

Also, there's nothing foreign about Canada. Arkansas is much more "foreign" than Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 01:16 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,151,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Really, you're only saying that because you're from Wisconsin. The areas that you named are part of the Great Lakes/Rust Belt area, and have nothing to do with the Upper Midwest. Minnesota IS the center of the Upper Midwest. The Upper Midwest is the area that is MSP and Minnesota centric - The Dakotas, Western and northern Wisconsin, and the U.P. of Michigan (maybe the northern LP as well). The Rust Belt is NOT Upper Midwest. I know Wisconsin is Minnesota's rival, but why do you have to try to take this from us?

Also, there's nothing foreign about Canada. Arkansas is much more "foreign" than Canada.
First of all, nobody's trying to take anything from you. You have yet to clearly define what it means to be part of the Upper Midwest. Is it geography? Is it culture? What is it?

Geographically, MN is a transitional state, much of it very plains-y. For instance, only 28.9% of MN is covered by forests vs. 51.2% in MI and 45.2% in WI.

Culturally, MSP is very different from the rest of MN, whereas WI is pretty progressive across the board. Madison, WI is the liberal epicenter of the Midwest. Ironically, or perhaps not (white flight), the most conservative area of WI is suburban Milwaukee.

FYI, the Rust Belt is socioeconomic region that stretches from the Upper Midwest (Duluth, MN) to the Mid-Atlantic (Rochester, NY).

Lastly, can you please tell me what similarities ND or SD has with WI or MI?

Old 07-19-2010, 07:24 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,118,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Well, the Kansas City metro area has a number of Catholic mega churches in the suburbs. Those from Olathe tend to be ultra conservative and more evangelical with very large families.
Well consider many Catholic parishes can have over 5000 parishoners to more than 10000. I wouldn't doubt that they are conservative, but I see most often tend to be less so when compared to Evangelicals.

Although what definition of Evangelical is being applied to Catholics since it may or may not be the same meaning as it applies to Protestants.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:16 AM

434 posts, read 1,013,037 times
Growing up in Ohio (between Cleveland and Toledo), I've neither heard nor referred to my home as the Midwest. It has always been the Great Lakes. Now granted, I don't know what someone from Columbus or Cincinnati would say.

Anyway, I agree that the so-called 12 state "Midwest" region should be either broken up into different regions or renamed.

Interesting note: Youngstown, Ohio is geographically further east than Savannah, Georgia (on the Atlantic Coast).

Old 07-19-2010, 09:36 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,359,926 times
Minnesota is the great North. period. You all can keep the midwest. We're the North. We're the northern most of the lower 48. We're the coldest

Old 07-19-2010, 11:46 AM

5,990 posts, read 11,571,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
Minnesota is the great North. period. You all can keep the midwest. We're the North. We're the northern most of the lower 48. We're the coldest
I'll take that. The Great North. Group us with Alaska.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:25 PM

7,598 posts, read 9,457,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
"Midwestern " is also "northern"....The North consists of both the Northeast and the Midwest....period.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:39 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,313,576 times
KC is mid-western and STL is split between mid-western and southern, so MO is kinda 50-50 on the southern mid-western scale

Old 07-19-2010, 03:12 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,739,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCo freak View Post
STL is split between mid-western and southern
Nope, not even.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:15 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,739,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Well, the Kansas City metro area has a number of Catholic mega churches in the suburbs. Those from Olathe tend to be ultra conservative and more evangelical with very large families.
Not quite sure what you are trying to say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.