U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 06:55 AM

8,345 posts, read 14,113,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
I was at a Chicago White Sox game last year in Chicago, and we struck up a convo with some guys seated near us, I knew before I even spoke a word to them that they were Minnnesotans, you could just tell. Then, about 20 mintues into the conversation they confirmed that they were from the Twin Cities.
Were they 50 pounds over weight and wearing flannel? That is how I tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 12:49 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,127,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FargoBison View Post
I really think the Great Plains is its own region. It is really such a unique region of country being so barren yet in an odd way beautiful. The agriculture is really different from the core of the midwest and ranching also takes on more importance. Plus energy also becomes a major part of what is economically important.

It is really weird driving west from Fargo in the winter where it is -10 and there is three feet of snow on the ground and after 200-300 miles the snow is much more sparse and the temps can swing wildly.

Here is a solid map that outlines the Great Plains region.
You make some good points, but I gotta disagree. Yes, it is a geographical/topographical region in many ways, but (IMO) it fails the test of being a true region in the historical and cultural sense. I mean, I can't see where any part of Texas has that much in common with any part of the Dakotas or Montana. It is really kind of a stretch to put the former in with any part of Colorado or Nebraska. Again, just my own take on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.