U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 07:13 AM

3,077 posts, read 5,450,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Edit: I made this map that I believe shows the regions of the Midwest fairly accurately. You'll see Kansas City on the southern fringe of the Midwest:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...ae6ad91d9b789b
Flyingwriter, it looks like you borrowed a couple of ideas from my map in the "Differences within the Midwest" thread and combined them with your map. I think the final result is really accurate. Looks good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 08:01 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,149,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Flyingwriter, it looks like you borrowed a couple of ideas from my map in the "Differences within the Midwest" thread and combined them with your map. I think the final result is really accurate. Looks good!
I disagree. First of all, why are the Dakotas part of the Upper Midwest, when they're just as conservative as Nebraska and Kansas? Seems like they belong in the Great Plains category IMO.

Secondly, outside of the Twin Cities and Madison, the Upper Midwest isn't very liberal at all. Des Moines and Iowa City are pretty progressive as well, but flyingwriter has them in the Lower Midwest rather than Upper Midwest.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:13 AM

3,077 posts, read 5,450,297 times
Quote:
I disagree. First of all, why are the Dakotas part of the Upper Midwest, when they're just as conservative as Nebraska and Kansas? Seems like they belong in the Great Plains category IMO.

Secondly, outside of the Twin Cities and Madison, the Upper Midwest isn't very liberal at all. Des Moines and Iowa City are pretty progressive as well, but flyingwriter has them in the Lower Midwest rather than Upper Midwest.
The terms Upper Midwest and Lower Midwest have nothing to do with politics. It's true that the Upper Midwest tends to be more liberal, but the name of the region is not based on politics. It's based on geography. According to your logic, the conservative Deep South should be called the Lower Midwest and the liberal west coast should be labeled Upper Midwest.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:14 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,378,103 times
I grew up in Iowa City and Des Moines for over 20 years. We were solidly upper midwest as far as how we grouped ourselves. You have to move south of there before your gaze turns towards Missouri and places south. Des Moines looks towards Minneapolis, and Iowa City tended to look towards Madison and Chicago. If you ask anyone in Iowa north of I-80 and east of I-35 who their neighbors are, 90% of the time you're going to hear Minnesota and Wisconsin. Illinois for whatever reason didn't hit our radar except of course for Chicago. South of I-80 you're going to see it drift towards Kansas City and St. Louis. The further west of I-35 and you get into more great plains and your attention would be S. Dakota, Nebraska. I would say over 2/3 of the population lived from Des Moines and points north and east. 1.6 million alone are in the oval of metro areas from Des Moines to Dubuque and down to Davenport and back to Des Moines.

As far as this thread - I had always heard and believed that Kansas City is nothing but Midwestern.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:23 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,117,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I don't see how it's the South. I have a friend from KC who moved to Memphis for college. She always talks about how it's the biggest culture shock of her life. Lots of differences. She couldn' wait to move back to KC. Stl doesn't feel Southern either, but it doesn't feel Northern. Just All-American
Most of Missouri tends to not feel completly part of any particular region. Partially due to each area has at least a couple of strong deviations from a particular region, it tends to work best thinking of it as a hybrid cultural area.

I think history plays out as to why. When it was established the culture and the early migrants were distinctively Southern, but around 1850 it started having large numbers of immigrants that matched up with the Midwest turning it as Midwest dominant around 1900 in most parts. The result is a Midwest culture group area that has some significant Southern deviations. I do wonder what the next 30-50 years will look like since the state (especially the rural areas) are starting to deviate from the Midwest in certain ways.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:54 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,149,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
The terms Upper Midwest and Lower Midwest have nothing to do with politics. It's true that the Upper Midwest tends to be more liberal, but the name of the region is not based on politics. It's based on geography. According to your logic, the conservative Deep South should be called the Lower Midwest and the liberal west coast should be labeled Upper Midwest.
Yea, that makes total sense.

Apparently you're the one who needs a geography refresher.

IMHO, this (SD)

GreatPlains_Day5 201 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/johmily/214655564/ - broken link)

looks a lot more like this (NE)

Dawes NE on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenlund/69183325/ - broken link)

than it does like this (MI).

Lake of the Clouds on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/39142968@N00/260204016/ - broken link)

Old 07-14-2010, 12:02 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,670,753 times
I'd say Kansas is definitely the Midwest. While Missouri does have some southern influence around the Arkansas border, it is the Midwest as well. They don't call St. Louis the Gateway to the West just for fun.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:45 PM

2,097 posts, read 5,871,725 times
I just think it's funny that the "Northeast" stops at the border of Pennsylvania.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:31 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,567,771 times
There are places in MN that look just like your South Dakota and Nebraska pictures. Minnesota is the quintessential Upper Midwest state.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:49 PM

20,849 posts, read 35,958,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
I'd say Kansas is definitely the Midwest. While Missouri does have some southern influence around the Arkansas border, it is the Midwest as well. They don't call St. Louis the Gateway to the West just for fun.
No. Most of MO south of I-70 is a cultural hybrid of Midwest, Ozarkian, and Southern. If you look at the quickfacts statistics the rural demographics and poverty levels are similar to the South instead of the Midwest. KC, and STL are Midwestern with a good amount of southern and ozarkian influences. Also, if you go outside the metro areas of MO by a few tiers of counties you will encounter much higher levels of poverty and economic malaise compared to the Midwest core or Upper Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.