U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 09:26 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,115,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Parts of Illinois are Deep South. Not just the South, but the Deep South. Parts of Illinois are Rust Belt/Central Midwest, even arguably Upper Midwest. That's a pretty big difference. IL is definitely a border state.
It is a real good example of a very zonal state with a number of different layers. A good way to see this would be to drive I-57 throughout the state. There seems to be different transition zones that will likely be not too difficult to spot.

You are right that Illinois does have a very small section of the Deep South, it is centered around Cairo at the Southern extreme of the state where you would think you drove all the way to Mississippi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 09:43 AM

3,072 posts, read 5,446,091 times
Quote:

Lake of the Clouds on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/39142968@N00/260204016/ - broken link)
This picture is an EXTREME example if you're trying to show what Michigan generally looks like.

Here are some pics I took within 10 miles of my house. There's an awful lot of land in Michigan that looks like this. And it's not that different from parts of eastern Nebraska that I've seen. (Western Nebraska is a different story!!)

Old 07-15-2010, 10:04 AM

10,840 posts, read 19,410,198 times
Anybody that thinks KC or StL are southern are just crazy or have no idea what they are talking about. There is almost nothing southern about KC or StL. They are both midwestern, period.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:31 AM

3,340 posts, read 8,702,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
This picture is an EXTREME example if you're trying to show what Michigan generally looks like.

Here are some pics I took within 10 miles of my house. There's an awful lot of land in Michigan that looks like this. And it's not that different from parts of eastern Nebraska that I've seen. (Western Nebraska is a different story!!)

Well actually the Eastern Nebraska that hugs the Missouri River is quite hilly. Its when you start to get to Lincoln then Nebraska flattens out but Omaha does have a lot of nasty hills. Like is you're going to Lincoln from Omaha on I-80 there are some really big hills on the left.

Anyway, I've always thought Omaha had more in common with Kansas City, Sioux Falls and Des Moines than with Lincoln. So maybe There needs to be some other region for that.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:44 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,146,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post

My point was that the Great Plains don't have any areas that look like Lake of the Clouds, whereas MI, WI, and MN have numerous areas that look just like that. Even your pics of MI farmland don't really look like the Great Plains to me. It's too brushy and there's way too many trees in the background to be NE or SD.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:49 AM

400 posts, read 868,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
My point was that the Great Plains don't have any areas that look like Lake of the Clouds, whereas MI, WI, and MN have numerous areas that look just like that. Even your pics of MI farmland don't really look like the Great Plains to me.
These are photos of Milford Lake in Kansas, which is two hours WEST of Kansas City, in an area which many people would put in the "Great Plains". They don't look too different from your Michigan photo.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:49 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,115,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Anybody that thinks KC or StL are southern are just crazy or have no idea what they are talking about. There is almost nothing southern about KC or StL. They are both midwestern, period.
I think the issue is trying to compare the two with cities in the Great Lakes area which there are some strong differences. The two match up closer to cities like Indianapolis, Cincinatti, and Columbus.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:16 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,561,033 times
Isn't Milford Lake manmade? I thought Kansas didn't have any natural lakes.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:26 PM

400 posts, read 868,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Isn't Milford Lake manmade? I thought Kansas didn't have any natural lakes.
A river was dammed to create the lake. But the hills and trees that you see in the photos are real and are native to the area.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:38 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,146,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeStater View Post
These are photos of Milford Lake in Kansas, which is two hours WEST of Kansas City, in an area which many people would put in the "Great Plains". They don't look too different from your Michigan photo.

Milford Lake is the exception, not the rule. I'm glad KS has at least one decent (manmade) lake and some beautiful natural areas, but it's nothing like MI/WI/MN. I could literally show you thousands of places that look like that up here. WI has approximately 9,000 unnamed (natural) lakes in addition to the 8,000 or so that do have names. MN has even more lakes. 46% of WI is covered by "dense forests" according to the WI DNR. MI has even more forests. MI and WI rank 2nd and 4th in terms of total water area by state. AK and FL are 1st and 3rd. The geography of the two regions (Great Plains and Great Lakes) is very, very different.

I agree we're all located in the "Midwest," I just think it's a stupid delineation in the first place. It's like the "West," as if Utah and Hawaii have a lot in common with each other. Or "South," as if OKC is anything like Baltimore.

Great Lakes and Great Plains are better, but still not perfect as they extend into other regions (Northeast, West, and South). Upper and Lower is a little more accurate in terms of culture, placing Iowa with MN/WI/IL/IN/MI/OH makes more sense to me. However, it's hard to call parts of IL/IN/OH Upper Midwest when Indianapolis and Cincinnati are more like St. Louis and Kansas City than they are like Milwaukee or Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.