U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 01:13 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,139,440 times

Advertisements

^As much as it pains me to say it (being an avid Vikings fan and a just-as-avid anti-Packers fan), Wisconsin has truly natural beauty. Rolling hills covered with trees and the occassional small farm; lots of small lakes.....it makes the drive to my home away from home in Chicago so much more enjoyable than any other direction from MPLS (except maybe North). That is, until you get to around Madison, then it's the plains all of the sudden....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 01:54 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,149,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
^As much as it pains me to say it (being an avid Vikings fan and a just-as-avid anti-Packers fan), Wisconsin has truly natural beauty. Rolling hills covered with trees and the occassional small farm; lots of small lakes.....it makes the drive to my home away from home in Chicago so much more enjoyable than any other direction from MPLS (except maybe North). That is, until you get to around Madison, then it's the plains all of the sudden....
That's probably because you take 90 and not 94 to get to Chicago. 90 takes you through Rockford, bypassing Milwaukee, so of course it's plains-y. In between Madison and Milwaukee is Kettle Moraine State Forest and Lake Country in Waukesha County. Definitely not the plains.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:56 PM

It never makes sense for me to take I-94, but I've done it a couple of times.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:22 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,567,771 times
Wisconsin is beautiful, but I think Minnesota is even more beautiful. We have variation that Wisconsin just doesn't have (Boundary Waters, Lake of the Woods, Great Plains, hills, bigger lakes, river bluffs, The North Shore). Of course, I'm biased towards Minnesota.

Also, I wouldn't consider Milwaukee or Detroit to be Upper Midwest cities at all. They're Rust Belt. The Upper Midwest begins north of those cities.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:01 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,149,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Wisconsin is beautiful, but I think Minnesota is even more beautiful. We have variation that Wisconsin just doesn't have (Boundary Waters, Lake of the Woods, Great Plains, hills, bigger lakes, river bluffs, The North Shore). Of course, I'm biased towards Minnesota.
That's right you are biased. WI has more coastline along the Great Lakes. WI has more hills. WI has more forests. WI has more organic farms. WI has more of everything MN has, except for miles upon miles of boring plains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Also, I wouldn't consider Milwaukee or Detroit to be Upper Midwest cities at all. They're Rust Belt. The Upper Midwest begins north of those cities.
The Rust Belt is centered around the Great Lakes, which includes parts of the Northeast and Midwest.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:02 PM

^WI doesn't have the biggest hills. Eagle Mountain is the biggest hill in the Midwest (a.k.a. Lutsen)

Old 07-15-2010, 03:29 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,726,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Flyingwriter, it looks like you borrowed a couple of ideas from my map in the "Differences within the Midwest" thread and combined them with your map. I think the final result is really accurate. Looks good!
The lower Midwest line needs to be extended down to Cape Girardeau, following the Mississippi in E Mo.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:50 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,117,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Milford Lake is the exception, not the rule. I'm glad KS has at least one decent (manmade) lake and some beautiful natural areas, but it's nothing like MI/WI/MN. I could literally show you thousands of places that look like that up here. WI has approximately 9,000 unnamed (natural) lakes in addition to the 8,000 or so that do have names. MN has even more lakes. 46% of WI is covered by "dense forests" according to the WI DNR. MI has even more forests. MI and WI rank 2nd and 4th in terms of total water area by state. AK and FL are 1st and 3rd. The geography of the two regions (Great Plains and Great Lakes) is very, very different.

I agree we're all located in the "Midwest," I just think it's a stupid delineation in the first place. It's like the "West," as if Utah and Hawaii have a lot in common with each other. Or "South," as if OKC is anything like Baltimore.

Great Lakes and Great Plains are better, but still not perfect as they extend into other regions (Northeast, West, and South). Upper and Lower is a little more accurate in terms of culture, placing Iowa with MN/WI/IL/IN/MI/OH makes more sense to me. However, it's hard to call parts of IL/IN/OH Upper Midwest when Indianapolis and Cincinnati are more like St. Louis and Kansas City than they are like Milwaukee or Detroit.
If I remember that area is Kansas is the Flint Hills if I am correct? That is a physicaly line that goes North-South from near Oklahoma City up to West of Omaha.

The three general Midwest regions seems to me are Plains,Great Lakes, and Lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
The lower Midwest line needs to be extended down to Cape Girardeau, following the Mississippi in E Mo.
That is a good assesment. It follows the limits of German settlement in Missouri along with a very near match with religion. That area is of the same cultural subregion as St. Louis which also includes the Missouri River valley up to Jefferson City. It is a very sharp dividing line at Cape Girardeau that I have noticed which is sharper than any other point along the Midwest/South boundary. It likely has to do with it being at the Northernmost point of the Coastal Plain.

Last edited by imperialmog; 07-15-2010 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: combined on one message

Old 07-15-2010, 05:23 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,567,771 times
OK. Added a "Midwest Peninsula" in Eastern MO/Western IL.

Midwest boundaries - Google Maps

Old 07-15-2010, 05:28 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,726,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post

That is a good assesment. It follows the limits of German settlement in Missouri along with a very near match with religion. That area is of the same cultural subregion as St. Louis which also includes the Missouri River valley up to Jefferson City. It is a very sharp dividing line at Cape Girardeau that I have noticed which is sharper than any other point along the Midwest/South boundary. It likely has to do with it being at the Northernmost point of the Coastal Plain.
Absolutely, one can actually define the cut off point at Crowleys Ridge on I-55, when one drives out of the hills and onto the Delta Plain in SE Mo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.