U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 05:29 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,751,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
OK. Added a "Midwest Peninsula" in Eastern MO/Western IL.

Midwest boundaries - Google Maps
Thank you, its perfect!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 05:50 PM

400 posts, read 869,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
If I remember that area is Kansas is the Flint Hills if I am correct? That is a physicaly line that goes North-South from near Oklahoma City up to West of Omaha.
Actually the Flint Hills start in extreme northern Oklahoma north of Tulsa, go north through Kansas, and end before the Nebraska border near Marysville, Kansas. They don't go anywhere near Oklahoma City or Omaha.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:41 AM

886 posts, read 1,925,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arb003 View Post
Hello!

I just graduated from Drake University in Des Moines, IA. The student body at Drake is mostly composed of students from all over the Midwest, with Chicago, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Kansas City, and Milwaukee probably having the biggest representation. My roommates were from suburbs of Chicago and the Twin Cities and I am from Overland Park, KS (just outside KC). One day I made comment about being from the Midwest and both of them agreed that Kansas City is not the Midwest. In their mind it was lumped in with St. Louis, Nashville, and Memphis and they considered that to be the South. In their minds, the Midwest was composed of the states that touch the Great Lakes from Ohio to Minnesota in addition to Iowa. I had always thought of Kansas as being as Midwestern as Midwestern gets in most people's eyes because of its prominent role in "The Wizard of Oz."

I guess my question is do you consider Kansas City Midwestern, Southern, or Western? Where does the Midwest stop and start to you? My little "argument" with my roommates really just got me thinking about my metro area from a non-local perspective.
Yes KC is midwest... culturally and officially it is midwest. It is part of the recognized midwest region, it is not in the south and the only regions of MO that would have even the slightest relationship with the south are the very southern regions. STL as well is midwest.

Whoever you were talking to is just ignorant of KC... especially since they considered it south (the more common mistake is to consider KC part of the plains states, even though the great plains don't even come in until the western side of KS and KC itself is hilly with bluffs and far from flat).

Old 07-16-2010, 11:47 AM

5,990 posts, read 11,576,318 times
KC isn't Great Plains?!?! I'm pretty sure it is.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:06 PM

20,861 posts, read 35,987,118 times
KC is the edge of the Midwest, edge of the Great Plains, and close to the edge of the Ozarks. KC is certainly not a Midwest core city, but a bit closer to the periphery.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:16 PM

5,414 posts, read 7,715,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
KC is the edge of the Midwest, edge of the Great Plains, and close to the edge of the Ozarks. KC is certainly not a Midwest core city, but a bit closer to the periphery.
I think that is a great description of KC. Well done.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:40 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,870,884 times
One thing I've never understood is why Ohio is considered to be part of the "Midwest"... I mean, come on, its capital, Columbus, is nearly due north of Atlanta. If anything, it could be considered "Mid-east", geographically.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:34 AM

10,930 posts, read 5,049,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
One thing I've never understood is why Ohio is considered to be part of the "Midwest"... I mean, come on, its capital, Columbus, is nearly due north of Atlanta. If anything, it could be considered "Mid-east", geographically.
Good question...being from Ohio originally, I often ask this of my east coast friends; to which they're surprised to see on the map that Ohio (in particular Cleveland) is very much geographically in the east.

I guess it just could be perception and old relic definitions...that's the best I can come up with, at least.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:57 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,119,357 times
Quote:
I think that is a good description of most of Missouri in being a periphery of any region. It tends to be quite different from anyone in the core of any region due to being adjacent to other areas as well as some traits that are specific to the area that don't fit in anywhere due to being too different from either region.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:26 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,835,658 times
Quote:
Same with Omaha-Lincoln.. We are close to the edge of the Great Plains, but not in the Great plains.

The Great Plains begin just west of Lincoln. The city of Seward is in the Great Plains and is in the Lincoln MSA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.