U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 05:23 AM

217 posts, read 836,838 times

Advertisements

I have the opportunity to advance my career but would require a move to either Virginia Beach, Boston (Waltham) or just outside Washington DC for Sept 1st. Currently residing in Long Island and having some indecisiveness on which to choose. I have been to both Boston and Washington DC a couple of times in the past, both were equally appealing to me, but never been to VA Beach. Reaching out to anyone who might have experience with living in any of these locales, also if it helps I am: 27/M/Single- thanks in advance

Last edited by gmagg; 07-14-2010 at 05:26 AM.. Reason: forgot something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 05:40 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,122,888 times
If you like the city opportunities you have in NYC based on living in Long Island, you should probably put more focus on Boston and/or DC. If you like the more suburban aspects of living on Long Island, and of course the beaches, check out Va Beach. Also, consider your preference for climate. Summers in DC and VA Beach are comparable, while in Boston it should be milder. Winter in Va Beach will be very mild, in DC still pretty mild compared to LI, and of course Boston will be cold. Lastly, cost of living might be a factor. Boston will be a bit more expensive than DC and both of those are considerably more than Va Beach. As for transportation, you might be able to get by largley on mass transit in Boston or DC, but Va Beach is pretty car dependent.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:23 AM

657 posts, read 1,311,148 times
I'm not impressed with VA Beach at all. Not a good singles scene either.

Winters in DC and Long Island are pretty similar due to the warming effect of the ocean. I'd stick with DC or Boston -- both are two of my favorite cities. Obviously I'm in DC right now because that's where my job is.

Where is your job located in the DC area.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:25 AM

827 posts, read 1,207,325 times
D.C. hands down. Better job opportunities. Also, D.C. has one of the lowest cost of living if you compare it to NYC, San Francisco, Chicago, etc. The weather is great (four seasons). Great nightlife for singles.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:43 AM

4,836 posts, read 10,184,676 times
DC is a fantastic city, with lots of young professionals, DC is a pretty diverse place too. Its a fantastic city, very urban, always something to do and the wintes are not bad at all.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:56 AM

217 posts, read 836,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
I'm not impressed with VA Beach at all. Not a good singles scene either.

Winters in DC and Long Island are pretty similar due to the warming effect of the ocean. I'd stick with DC or Boston -- both are two of my favorite cities. Obviously I'm in DC right now because that's where my job is.

Where is your job located in the DC area.
Alexandria

Old 07-14-2010, 10:18 AM

18,636 posts, read 27,047,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
D.C. hands down. Better job opportunities. Also, D.C. has one of the lowest cost of living if you compare it to NYC, San Francisco, Chicago, etc. The weather is great (four seasons). Great nightlife for singles.
DC's cost of living is not lower than Chicago and DC is behind San Francisco and NYC but not that far behind. DC is very expensive. I'm also not impressed by VA Beach. I like Norfolk and Hampton better.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:01 PM

613 posts, read 2,024,397 times
I've never been to VA Beach, but unless you know people there, I'd go with DC or Boston. However, if your salary will be the same in all places, I'm assuming you'll get much more bang for your buck in VA Beach. Something to think about. Boston and DC are pretty on par with cost of living. Unless I was getting a noticeably higher salary in one over the other, cost wouldn't factor much into my decision.

DC got hammered by snow this year, but in general, the winters are milder in DC. The flip side is that the summers tend to be more humid and oppressive than in Boston.

Boston and DC are pretty comparable. Think about your interests. For example, if you like to ski or snowboard in the winter, Boston may be a better fit.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:17 PM

23,629 posts, read 33,419,067 times
VA Beach with a suggestion to live in Norfolk.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:31 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,504,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
With all due respect, if the OP already has a job lined up then why should he worry about other people's job opportunities? Also, as another forumer mentioned, Washington DC is considerably more expensive than Chicago. Boston & DC are about the same in terms of costs overall.

I'd say Boston & DC are definitely more interesting to me. Both are also top 5 for singles according to the latest Forbes poll (Boston #2, DC #5).

To the OP: what kind of person are you? You should list some of your hobbies, things that interest you, etc if you want to get the best possible answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.