U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 06:07 PM

40,056 posts, read 30,517,457 times

Advertisements

I don't require either a mall or Costco. And I must say, it's comforting to see that I'm not the only such person in this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 07:52 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,555,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I have never even seen a Costco. I saw a Sam's Club once when I was in Denver...but we do have a BJs near us which is supposed to be like those stores.

I don't really care for any of that stuff. I'd prefer to have a mall than a place where I can buy 40 gallons of Soy Sauce in a single container...
that's not costco, thats

mitsuwa
Mitsuwa Marketplace the largest Japanese Supermarket in the U. S.
or h mart
Hmart.com: Online Shopping for Asian Grocery, Korean Kimchi, Rice Cookers, Appliances & more at everyday low prices.

or even better
super h mart
http://www.hmart.com/company_new/sho...store_code=NLS

both worth trips to the 'burbs for ...cool stores

Old 07-15-2010, 08:46 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,147,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
or even better
super h mart
Better Food Better Life H Mart

both worth trips to the 'burbs for ...cool stores
Absolutely! We just got one about 10 minutes from me, the closest in yet of their stores here.

The food court alone in these is reason enough to go, imo. I love hearing all the ""Anyong haseyo!" greetings when you go inside.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:08 PM

6,509 posts, read 7,454,824 times
The nearest Costco is 100 miles away. I have never seen it, or any other Costco. The nearest mall is 30 miles away and I rarely visit it. Could care less if it fell into the earth.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:24 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,887,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
My area only recently got a Costco...and we don't have a mall.

We also don't have a Sam's Club and the closest WalMart is a half hour drive away. I'm perfectly content without all of them.
No mall at all? Not even a lifestyle center or outlet mall? Like not a half hour away? SLO county has an outlet mall and Costco. I think the outlet mall is more important. I care about having the clothing stores nearby to look trendy and our mall has the major younger generation stores.

I think in smaller states you only see Costcos in major metros, but in the West Coast you have alot of Costcos. Sam's Club in the West Coast seem to be only in major metros. There are about 800 Costcos total in the world, and 2000 malls in the USA. There are also 2000 strip malls. Most areas will have an enclosed mall. My area had

Last edited by the city; 07-15-2010 at 09:40 PM..

Old 07-15-2010, 09:33 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,286,390 times
I certainly could survive without both of those. I think I would miss Costco more. Some of the bulk items at Costco at reasonable prices are great for a family of five and I like the Kirkland Signature line. Sam's Club is not very big in my area. Come to think of it, Walmart is very small in Southern California too. I think they have three stores within an hour drive from my house, while Costco has several.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:33 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,224,515 times
There are seven Costcos in the Atlanta area, and several larger malls. The Costcos stay full but I've seen some of the malls half empty on weekends. I'm in my 40s and was a teen during the "mall explosion" in the 80s when they were building them left and right. Too cookie cutter. Boring. I'd keep Costco over a mall anyday.

And maybe the difference between Costco and Sam's depends on the region, but in Atlanta there is no comparison. Most Sam's Clubs here are complete dives, and the customer service in them is only just a percentage point over what you'd get in a Wal-mart here (meaning, BAD). Costco stores here are usually top-notch and it shows very obviously when you go there.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:09 AM

56,531 posts, read 80,824,285 times
I guess Costco because there are similar stores.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:47 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,148,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Which one could you live without? A mall or a Costco? I think malls are more important.
I can live without either one. Closest Mall is 65 miles and Costco, I couldn't even guess where the closest one is.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:51 AM

6,488 posts, read 16,148,250 times
I live very well without shopping at Costco or Sams Club or BJ's, etc.
I live very well without shopping at malls

If all of the above disappeared tomorrow I wouldn't notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.