U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 06:51 PM

270 posts, read 147,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
You're so wrong..... the NY accent really originated from the Italian, Jewish, and Irish immigrants and it's a blend of the 3. Majority Italian though.
True...Black people tend to take on whatever accent the white people in their vicinity have. In New York City, the Blacks who have lost their Southern (or Caribbean) accent sound just like Italians, Jews or Irish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 08:02 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,058,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BougNeg1 View Post
Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo are very Midwestern and Rust Belt in culture, they are not very "Northeastern" at all. The Black people in these cities are very Southern.
The Rust Belt is not synonymous with Midwestern. It stretches across 2 regions, from the Northeast to the Midwest.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
LOL Black southerners and and blacks from new york sound so different from each other, that you would have to be an idiot to say otherwise. That wikipedia article is wrong. The difference is that big. In the same way that a white person with a heavy ny accent would sound very different from a white person in the midwest. Blacks have some of the heaviest new york accents of any ethnicity in the city. That article is laughable
So me and Wikipedia are morons? Have you ever been South? Listen to the speech patterns and expressions. For one, white NYers never say "ya'll". (neither do white Midwesterners). Ya'll is a Southern thing, shared by blacks and whites from that region.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:11 PM

11,334 posts, read 17,112,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
So me and Wikipedia are morons? Have you ever been South? Listen to the speech patterns and expressions. For one, white NYers never say "ya'll". (neither do white Midwesterners). Ya'll is a Southern thing, shared by blacks and whites from that region.
Some do.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:00 AM

3,012 posts, read 5,323,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Since when did blacks in nyc ever say yawl.lol. Look at a vid of a southern black speak and than look at a new yorker. This argument baffles me because the two couldnt sound anymore unalike

Old 08-09-2010, 06:15 AM

11,064 posts, read 6,207,237 times
I used to hang out with my neighbors who moved up to PA from Texas, and have caught myself saying "ya'll" on a couple occasions. I never would have thought to have said that before, being from NY, until I met up with them. I'm wondering what they took back to Texas from being up north for so many years? Someone in Texas will probably say, "hey, that sounds like something a New Yorker might say."

Old 08-09-2010, 01:49 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,575,042 times
No one says "ya'll" up here in Minnesota. Its strictly a southern thing.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:57 PM

56,706 posts, read 81,017,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
I know this is going to come off as a really ignorant question (I'm sorry), but, are there any black people with roots IN the North. Like, any who are originally from places like New York, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Oregon and the like? I'm part black and I always thought that the black side of my family was originally from SW Ohio (not really the "North" but the Upper South/Lower Midwest depending on your viewpoint) but it turned out that they originated in Kentucky in the 19th century. My white ancestors are mostly from Germany or the Netherlands (with some Irish and French) and settled in the Midwest.
Yes, actually this past weekend, I was at a celebration in a very rural community by the name of Peterboro about 25 miles SE of Syracuse which was an Underground Railroad community. There are Black folks there with roots that go back to the 1850's or so. There are other communities in NY with a similar history as well. Remember, NY had slavery until 1827. So, you will find your share of Black folks in NY with roots that go way back. Most of the slavery in the state was in the Mohawk and Hudson River valleys, as well as NYC and Long Island. Black slaves built the wall for what is now Wall Street, matter of fact. So, NY is a state with an interesting history in regards to Black folks.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Some do.
Not the natives, just the transplants.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:28 PM

16,739 posts, read 23,184,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Some do.
I have never heard anyone up north say "y'all" unless they're mimicking something/someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.